Author Topic: Cabin Runs  (Read 935 times)

Offline AKCreekside

• Cool Points: 2
  • Engine: Honda
  • Model Year: multiple
Cabin Runs
« on: July 24, 2023, 05:25:07 PM »
I just purchased two Mokais an 07 and an 09.

These will be used to make runs to my remote cabin that is located on Chunilna creek off of the Talkeetna river. The river is a fast moving (glacial river that has multiple sand bars and is quite cold. The creek is a glacial melt creek with clear water and some class 3 sections with very large boulders strewn about. The distance from launch to cabin is about 7 miles.

Made one attempt so far, ran into issues getting through rapids. Most likely issue was me trying to take too much gear at once. I weigh 140 lbs and had another 80 lbs of gear, ended up treading water.

I am going to try again with less gear and dial that in.

will add photos once I get an imgur account going

My boats have the following "upgrades" :

- Behind seat storage compartments on both
- removable windshields high and low profile versions for both
- one has a gun boot mounted (previous owner would use it to get to moose and then towed a small pack raft back downstream with the quartered moose in it)

Going to upgrade them with some Painless gear: new clutches, remote grease bearings, aluminum wear rings and pump rebuilds. I haven't decided on whether or not to move the controls so will wait on that.

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 65
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
Re: Cabin Runs
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 08:46:32 AM »
This sounds very interesting.  Looking forward to follow your progress on the boats.  Working boats need special mods and ingenuity which lots of us learn from.  Good luck and please post your work!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 80
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21/17,2 KX21,CH395
  • Model Year: 2003,2011,2015,2021
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 08:53:51 AM »
With the Honda engine, you'd be best to keep the total added weight below 180. So try to knock down your gear to 30lbs if possible. You can add photos here using the attachment function when creating your post. Welcome to the fun, look forward to your progress!  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline AKCreekside

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 01:02:06 PM »
A couple shots from my first day out with the boat.

Offline fairweatherfisherman

• Cool Points: 20
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 07:35:44 PM »
Wow, that looks like a lot of flow.

Offline AKCreekside

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 08:13:10 PM »
I checked the monitor station for the flow it was about 18,800 FT^3 per second. One of the issues with the Talkeetna, as well as other Alaska rivers, is that there are lots of very shallow sections with many sand and gravel bars to run into. Despite my gear and that flow rate, I really only ran into issues on the super shallow sections (mainly bottoming out). I got a new channel map from a river guide that should help me avoid that next go round.

I am going to try to make another trip out after work this week to see if I have better luck with less gear weighing me down.

I appreciate Tom for giving me a solid weight figure to keep under. I have a tendency to try to take too much gear on my adventures, going to approach my Mokai trips like ultra light backpacking now. The creek will get low enough to drive my side by side across here soon enough and after that the river and creek freeze solid for a few months of good snowmachining.

My hope is to get my upgrades done in winter so I can send the pump units to Tom and not miss out on time on the water. Tom's videos get me super juiced up about the possibilities these can offer as well as all of the really cool mods that you guys have all come up with. The reverse mod from Bill is amazing and I hope to get all of the mods that Tom has to offer as well. Really cool stuff going on here.

Offline bizler

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 64
  • Engine: Had EX21 W/EX17 Head
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 10:41:12 AM »
If you decide to add my reverse unit to you boat, or boats, during the off season I will be glad to make them for you. I can make them so the are pretty much plug and play if you send me your nozzles. I can mount the reverse on them so that all you’ll have to do is attach the nozzle to the pump and then route the cable and attach the control lever under the left gunwale.  If you also are planning to add a pump cover, I have them as well. The pump cover needs to have some material removed to accommodate the reverse. Bill, aka bizler

Offline AKCreekside

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 01:16:43 PM »
I will connect with you before winter as that sounds like a solid plan.

Offline AKCreekside

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 09:01:09 PM »
Made it upstream the 9 miles to my cabin. It took me an hour and 45 minutes as there were a few portages along the way due to low water conditions. It was a beautiful Alaska summer day, high 70s and lots of sunshine. Can't wait to get some upgrades on my boats as these are still stock.

Post spawning king salmon were in large schools across from my place and a few trout were in the mix.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 80
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21/17,2 KX21,CH395
  • Model Year: 2003,2011,2015,2021
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 09:10:48 PM »
That sounds like a fun trip, more like a little adventure. So was salmon for dinner?  >:D
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline AKCreekside

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2023, 12:27:50 AM »
That sounds like a fun trip, more like a little adventure. So was salmon for dinner?  >:D

I went after grayling lower on the creek, ironically not a huge fan of salmon. They are cool to catch though, the kings have an explosive strike.

Offline bizler

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 64
  • Engine: Had EX21 W/EX17 Head
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2023, 10:19:21 AM »
I can only imagine an adventure trip like that. I have fished in Alaska on numerous occasions and they are my favorite experiences. Having a cabin there would have been really special. Having a cabin and a Mokai there would have been super special.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Offline AKCreekside

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2023, 02:54:28 PM »
It is one of the best parts of living here. I was extremely lucky on getting my property, the widow that sold it too me just wanted it gone so it was a steal.

I have spent so much time trying different routes to get to my cabin. The mokai is by far the least expensive and easiest way to get there. It was really awesome to be so close to the water, I could see fish everywhere with such clarity and detail. The jet boat guys were waving and giving me a thumbs up as I passed them into the water that even they could not get to. I also loved being able to run up and down the creek to different fishing holes quickly.