Author Topic: Brandywine creek trip  (Read 129 times)

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
Brandywine creek trip
« on: April 06, 2021, 10:15:38 PM »
Got me a new toy - folding kayak made by Tucktec. Nifty little thing that folds into a package that can be carried on one shoulder and takes but three minutes to be ready to launch. Bought it to get wherever no normal launches and parking lots exist, so launching Mokai, even v1 Eskape, is either impossible and painful.

For a real-life test I took it to Brandywine creek, fairly famous/historic stream in PA and DE. No real boat ramps and lots of dams to be portaged. Launched and handled beautifully, even with little whitewater in few places. Pretty amazing for a $350 plastic thing. Very nice scenery, some unexpected sights too.

The PA part is a rural area, sparsely populated, so most of the time there aren't any houses in sight. Still it is no wilderness, so imagine my surprise when I saw a bear standing in the forest close to the stream. By the time I reached out to take a picture, current took me past. Paddled frantically to get back, took a picture, then realized that the bear is actually a life-sized carving. The funny thing is that it wasn't a park or even publicly accessible land. Someone just made that carving in the forest, middle of nowhere. Whoever did that, thank you very much! Real fun encounter!

Further downstream saw another cool sight. On a top of forested hill that dominates the creek I saw what seemed like an abandoned church, steeple, etc. Couldn't see much with trees in a way, but it did not look like a ruin, yet felt as if it was abandoned some time ago. The cool thing was that it seemed completely isolated - no houses or man-made strcuture or roads anywhere in sight. I could not see the other side of the hill, but checking Google maps afterwords showed that there are no descernable roads leading to that structure. There is a property (farm?) nearby, isolated by the Brandywine on three sides. Interesting racing course(I assume) on that property too.

View of local landmark - covered bridge further downstream signified arriving to Delaware and the First State National Historic park. Not far from that was the location where George Washington could have been shot by British marksman, but wasn't just because “it was not pleasant to fire at the back of an unoffending individual, who was acquitting himself very coolly of his duty—so I let him alone.” That area is has lots of walking trails so it felt very different from PA. It'd be cool to go further downstream, past Hagley place - that's where DuPonts started the ubiquitous corporation with producing black powder - the original mills are still sitting on creek shore, to DuPont Experimental station site and to Wilmington's downtown historic part. unfortunately the remaining 5-6 miles are littered with about 10 dams! Some without any legal or even illegal portage... But I've got nothing to complain about - it turned out a great trip.

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 47
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
Re: Brandywine creek trip
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 06:15:34 AM »
Great story and pictures, Happul.  Also very interesting boat.  Thanks

Online CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 61
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 08:04:36 AM »
Pretty cool trip. I had to do a double take on the bear too. The covered bridge might be the only type that I haven't gone under in the Mokai, I'll have to find one for a future trip. We've been looking at a similar kayak for awhile called ORU Kayaks. Thanks for the post and glad you had a fun outing.

🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 39
  • Engine: Subaru KX17, 7hp
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 11:38:04 AM »
I have canoed & kayaked that area a few times. All land is privately owned, but very scenic. My house is 10 minutes from the creek.
I think the church caught fire a year or two ago, but I’m not sure. I think it’s Amish, hence the dirt roads.

Offline George

• Cool Points: 3
  • Engine: EX 21
  • Model Year: no mokai, ( looking)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 01:39:46 AM »
       Bearly seems possible.
Airplane George

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 08:17:52 AM »
Pretty cool trip. I had to do a double take on the bear too. The covered bridge might be the only type that I haven't gone under in the Mokai, I'll have to find one for a future trip. We've been looking at a similar kayak for awhile called ORU Kayaks. Thanks for the post and glad you had a fun outing.

Talking about unusual bridges, raised railroad bridge on C&D canal in Delaware is a type I've never seen before. See the attached picture pulled from the web.

By the way, ORU kayak was what prompted me to look for foldables in general. Funny thing is that it was on Brandywine also that I saw a gentlemen putting one together to launch last November. Seemed like a fine craft, but less stable and more expensive than I would want. Eventually found Tucktec, which suits me better, but is slower/lower performance kayak.

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 08:24:25 AM »
I have canoed & kayaked that area a few times. All land is privately owned, but very scenic. My house is 10 minutes from the creek.
I think the church caught fire a year or two ago, but I’m not sure. I think it’s Amish, hence the dirt roads.

Thanks for insight, Craig - fire would explain why I the structure looked  bit peculiar, as if one could see through. What do you think about racing course or whatever that is on that property? Would Amish folks have something like that?

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 39
  • Engine: Subaru KX17, 7hp
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 01:21:03 PM »
It is a maze for children .

Offline George

• Cool Points: 3
  • Engine: EX 21
  • Model Year: no mokai, ( looking)
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 05:21:39 PM »
the maze is really cool but needs more shrubberies.  I am thinking, remove the children and add a few dirt bikes.
Airplane George

Offline fairweatherfisherman

• Cool Points: 17
  • Engine: Honda
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 04:38:28 PM »
That is a pretty good price point for one of those. Good to hear a bit about one from someone who isn’t trying to sell me one. We do a good bit of van camping and don’t want to pull a trailer. Many places near where we go camping have rental boats, so still up in the air on the folding boats.