Author Topic: Es-Kape Battery  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Maritimer

• Cool Points: 7
  • Engine: Stock Subaru
  • Model Year: 2017
Es-Kape Battery
« on: May 21, 2018, 10:46:19 AM »
I made an unpleasant discovery this morning while getting ready to head out on my first fishing trip of the year. I bought a new trailer last week (tired of taking the Es-Kape apart and wrestling it into my Subaru Forester) and I guess in the process of loading the boat on to it, the power switch was left on and killed the battery. I could start the engine with the pull starter alright, but the battery didn't even have enough power to activate the throttle servo! I don't have a connector to charge the battery with a regular charger so the Es-Kape is sitting idling on my trailer. I hope an hour or so will be enough to charge the battery to the point that I can navigate the fast moving spring water conditions...

== Steve ==

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 76
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21/17,2 KX21,CH395
  • Model Year: 2003,2011,2015,2021
Re: Es-Kape Battery
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 12:09:29 PM »
Sorry to hear that.... If your battery is completely dead then the charging system will not begin producing power and nothing will charge. Another reason electronics on these boats was a horrible idea. Hope it charges for you, good luck. Direct cable control is the only reliable way to go.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 02:17:49 PM »
I made an unpleasant discovery this morning while getting ready to head out on my first fishing trip of the year. I bought a new trailer last week (tired of taking the Es-Kape apart and wrestling it into my Subaru Forester) and I guess in the process of loading the boat on to it, the power switch was left on and killed the battery. I could start the engine with the pull starter alright, but the battery didn't even have enough power to activate the throttle servo! I don't have a connector to charge the battery with a regular charger so the Es-Kape is sitting idling on my trailer. I hope an hour or so will be enough to charge the battery to the point that I can navigate the fast moving spring water conditions...

== Steve ==

Steve,
    I had the exact same issue a couple months ago.  My Es-Kape is a 2015 and the battery was original and not properly maintained.  The guy I bought it from said he had drained it dead multiple times and it was never stored on a tender over winter.  I've had it on a tender for the last 6 months, but the damage was already done.  I had a bad cell go out in the middle of a trip... battery was at full charge when I started, I drove around for an hour and when I shut the engine off the battery was complete dead... not even enough to click the starter.  I also pull started it and learned the necessity for battery storage when my throttle servo would not work!  I did find if I manually bumped the governor arm the increase in RPM was enough to make the stator produce the energy necessary to control the servos.  Oddly, at idle I was able to control the steering servo... and I noticed if I would steer left or right and bump the joystick forward at the same time, it would actuate the throttle servo.  Once at full throttle there was enough power to run everything.  The symptoms were strange though, but even though it wasnt working as it should, I was able to get 2 miles back up river to my truck.  I ordered a new battery on Amazon that evening and its been great since... and this new battery will be properly stored and maintained, so it should get more than 2 years of use this time.

Offline Maritimer

• Cool Points: 7
  • Engine: Stock Subaru
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 10:32:06 PM »
Yup, I also found that manually pushing on the governor lever could get the engine to rev up and I also noticed that steering left and right activated the throttle servo. At least I was on land when I made these observations! I gambled and went out on the water, paddled away from shore in the fast current, and started the engine with the pull cord. I thought I might go out for a few hours and try to charge the battery but the wind and waves made it too unpleasant. A less compulsive person would not have gone out. At least I made it back without incident.

A neighbour had a battery tender for his motorcycle, but the connector was not compatible with the Mokai. What do you use?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 76
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21/17,2 KX21,CH395
  • Model Year: 2003,2011,2015,2021
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 10:41:32 PM »
I'm waiting on some parts to make a plug n play battery tender.  >:D
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 10:42:49 PM »
Awesome to hear someone with the exact same symptoms. haha  As I said, I was 2 miles downriver from my truck when my battery crapped out and after pull starting mine and getting the throttle servo to open, I ran it WOT back up river without stopping.  Then I ran it about a mile up river to troubleshoot it some.  Based on what the previous owner had told me, I knew that battery had a rough life, but the symptoms confused me until later that evening when I realized it was probably just the battery. 

Here is the tender\maintainer\charger I use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LX3AS6/  It comes with two types of plugin connectors.  I use the ring terminal connectors and not the alligator clips.  Its wired onto my battery and up the loom to above the engine.  So I just leave it plugged in and I don't have to remove the battery or anything.  Not a big deal this time of year, but over the winter it is. 

Offline Brazosbottommokai

• Cool Points: 0
  • Engine: Subaru
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 11:14:08 AM »
Does anyone have a link as to where to purchase a replacement battery for the es-kape