$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Throttle linkage and springs

Author Topic: Throttle linkage and springs  (Read 180 times)

Offline Tom Kirkman

• Cool Points: 1
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2011
Throttle linkage and springs
« on: September 27, 2019, 07:20:08 PM »
I have a 2011 Mokai that is essentially new, having sat for several years with only about 20 hours on the boat. I knew the carb would be full of old gas-varnish and so I installed a brand new carb to save time. ButÖ Iím having a little trouble getting the throttle rod and two springs in place. I think I have them correct, but the engine idles much too high.

So I have the short, heavy spring attached to the throttle cable arm and back to the slotted opening at the end of the government arm. Pretty sure this is correct.

Then the throttle rod from the carb butterfly arm to the small hole on the governor arm. The long, light spring also attaches to the carb butterfly arm to the same small hole on the governor arm. Is this correct?

I reached out to Mokai three times but never got a reply.  Before I change any other settings I want to make sure I have these three items attached to the correct places. Thanks.

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 47
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
Re: Throttle linkage and springs
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:33:55 PM »
Tom sent me this video explaining how to put my carb and intercooler back on, hope this helps.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUx3nmkqMJo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUx3nmkqMJo</a>
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 12:26:27 AM »
That video doesn't apply to stock engines with the governor intact.

The long thin spring rides on the throttle linkage rod that connects the governor arm to the carburetor. It connects to the hole beside the rod on the carburetor arm, it's job is to open the throttle when the engine rpm goes too low. The short stiff spring is connected to the end of the governor arm, and the cable linkage arm under the linkage plate. When you work the throttle handle the cable pulls on that lever and the spring pulls the governor arm causing the throttle to open. There is an idle adjustment screw on the carb too, unscrew it to lower the idle speed. If that makes no difference unhook the cable quick connect and make sure that isn't out of adjustment, if there isn't any slack it can be pulling on that lever just enough to raise the idle. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Tom Kirkman

• Cool Points: 1
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 01:42:23 PM »
It appears that I had it hooked up correctly. Thanks. It just needed a slight governor adjustment.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 01:54:26 PM »
Good deal. Glad you got it sorted out. Let me know if you need anything else.  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com