$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Water leakage into motor motor module, New ES-Kape

Author Topic: Water leakage into motor motor module, New ES-Kape  (Read 8563 times)

Offline Heavynets

• Cool Points: 5
  • Engine: EX-21
  • Model Year: 2010
Re: Water leakage into motor motor module, New ES-Kape
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 04:20:21 PM »

I did find a crack that I had not noticed before.  It was in the plastic surrounding the bottom most, port side, threaded insert that holds the wear-ring housing.

I could not find any cracks that explained the leaks around the threaded inserts that hold on the intake grate.  There are some rather deep pockets or recesses near both of the forward most inserts.  I could not see down into them to know for sure if these were the source of the leaks.  It was impossible to reach any of these spots to weld them properly, so I filled them all with 2 coats of sealant.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 05:26:18 PM »
I've never seen anyone have problems with the grate mounting inserts, but the wear ring housing has been seen a few times now. Definitely suggest trying to weld the crack first to seal things up, then scuff up the area and apply a generous layer of polyurethane sealant. For the outside area of the stern where the housing bolts to the hull, I would highly recommend doing what I did on mine in making a plate that stabilizes and reinforces that entire area. http://www.improvingyourmokai.com/index.php/topic,671.msg5691.html#msg5691
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Heavynets

• Cool Points: 5
  • Engine: EX-21
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 06:49:17 PM »
The sealant in the recesses stopped the leak around the grate inserts.

Offline Californiamokai

• Cool Points: 8
  • Engine: RS SP-210 w/17 ES
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 09:00:16 PM »
Unexplained water in the engine department can come from many sources.  Not always easily identified.  I thought NoBlanks1969  thread on a paper collar under "Grease Trap" might be a way to also Identify whether or not water has been coming in thru the bearing housing.  If it gets saturated with water and falls apart, then you know that's an area to examine further. Just an idea......John
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:02:10 PM by Californiamokai »

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 09:06:10 PM »
That's a great idea John, I like the way you think.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 17
  • Engine: RS
  • Model Year: 2008
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 06:59:22 PM »
Loosely wrapped light colored paper is an excellent suggestion, I've used paper towels many times to identify leaks. Maybe tan shipping wrap..
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:03:04 PM by Odie »

Offline Voyager

• Cool Points: 7
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2011/2015
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 09:53:36 AM »
My Escape leaks in the engine compartment as well I think it is coming through the mounting bolts in the bottom. As soon as I get some time I'm going to pull the bolts one at a time and coat the threads with 3M 4000. I get about a cup in there with it sitting in the water for a day. I guess I could block the hull up and put a few gallons of water in there and see where it leaks out.

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 22
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 11:18:32 AM »
My Escape leaks in the engine compartment as well I think it is coming through the mounting bolts in the bottom. As soon as I get some time I'm going to pull the bolts one at a time and coat the threads with 3M 4000. I get about a cup in there with it sitting in the water for a day. I guess I could block the hull up and put a few gallons of water in there and see where it leaks out.
Oop's,  I don't feel so alone now,  :'( my next run will tell the truth.   Will take a big sponge with me.    I thought maybe the mtg bolts could be the problem. >:(    Let us know what you find out,  I  will do the same.

Anybody else? ::)

John

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 04:05:50 PM »
I'm curious to see if the paper wrapped around the hull bearing trick area shows any water. As misaligned as I've seen these shafts, that pressure to one side could create a leak as a worst case scenario. If it's not the hull bearing seals, then the old fill up the boat with water trick should show you something. Just be careful not to get the steering servo wet, I know one owner who took his boat out one time and the servo got wet and a week later when he went for a second trip it wouldn't do anything.  :-[
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 09:29:13 PM »
Took the boat out today for a run.   Lake was very calm with practically no wind for the first 5 hours.   Checked the motor module for water after 1 1/2 hours.  None could be seen.  \./8

Finally headed back to the launch ramp from the north end of the lake, approximately 1/2 hour trip at full throttle, with a little chop to contend with, my point is, I found a few water bubble accumulation in the module after I got the boat on the trailer. :-[ Not sure what to think about that? :(

John

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 10:26:38 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it.... Keep an eye on it of course, but unless you are taking on quarts of water with no explanation you really have nothing to worry about. Try to remember the hood has two big holes that water can splash into.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 11:02:52 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it.... Keep an eye on it of course, but unless you are taking on quarts of water with no explanation you really have nothing to worry about. Try to remember the hood has two big holes that water can splash into.  \./8
I would have to agree about the splash ::), when I stop the boat I have a tendency to back off the throttle real quick, so back wash momentum could be the issue.  I saw signs of water spotting on the back deck.   Oh well! 

Offline Californiamokai

• Cool Points: 8
  • Engine: RS SP-210 w/17 ES
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 11:47:27 PM »
I have had water coming in for some time with no idea of source.  Put the cardboard grease trap earlier mentioned on to isolate whether that was the source but it was okay.

However, did find a major leakage source and pleased to report for others may have similar set up. I had repiped my intercooler piping from the water muffler to the intercooler. All fine for beached the mokai and drove it into the sand as increased idle to 3500 and no leaks.  After many runs, still getting way too much water and just ought of pure frustration tried another beach test.  This time i ran it up to wot around 4400 and sure enough, had a steady stream showering the engine on the connection to muffler side all over the engine.

i would never been able to dope this out but for the beach retest at WOT.  Refastened with metal clamp connectors and all well now at WOT. Hopefully, others with a intercooler who have unexplained water in the engine compartment will learn from my experience.  Nothing wrong with the intercooler set up other then my failure to test connection at WOT.  Hope this helps others, John

Offline Fishlover

• Cool Points: 7
  • Engine: Subaru EX21
  • Model Year: 2015 ES-Kape
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2016, 04:51:02 PM »
Another tidbit to watch for...

The ES-kape's intake grate on my boat is mounted with 2 bolts on the rearward edge. The grate rear edge is not flush with the hull, but sticks out by several millimeters. (~1/8" ).
When the boat is sitting on a flat surface and the engine/tanks are installed, the pressure will cause the plastic to cold flow until it comes to rest when the grate is pressed in to sit flush with the boat bottom.
It remains to be seen if this type of storage and pressure on the plastic surrounding the inserts will eventually lead to fracturing around the inside "domes" (rear most space under the pump tunnel) that surround the inserts.
I would make sure I would have some space under there on my trailer or in storage.
Having said that, just make REALLY sure you have a flat surface under the engine compartment so that nothing applies any unnatural pressure on the entire row of rail mountings/inserts there.

Equally, the center module has a distinct V-shape along its keel.
When the boat sits on a flat surface for extended periods (especially if loaded on the forward section) the pressure will attempt to flatten the keels V-shape, which in turn causes the plastic to be pushed out sideways. This sideway pressure will directly work against the interior rail mountings on the forward foot rest. It could eventually cause leaks around those inserts.
FYI
Regards

Minor stuff like that can cause you headaches.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, good tips that will save many headaches. I noticed the (not so) grate position and how it protruded as you mentioned, but since I keep mine on the trailer and the grate is just past the supported area, I didn't think much about it other than it would hit stuff in shallow water. So many aspects of the design that just make no sense, curious how they decided it was ready for production as a finished product. lol

Best way to store the boat is on a flat surface, with no tension holding it down i.e. tie down straps etc.. I strap mine down across the stern just under the hood, but as mentioned before my grate is not resting on anything so the tension isn't affecting that.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com