$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Wear Ring explanation.

Author Topic: Wear Ring explanation.  (Read 7204 times)

Offline Mokai Game Changer

• Cool Points: 7
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2010
Wear Ring explanation.
« on: June 24, 2015, 11:24:34 PM »
I'm trying to understand the wear ring function and why Tom's aluminum ring is the way to go. It does seem the factory ring wears out very quickly but doesn't this protect the impeller from damage? If the wear ring is made stronger than the impeller what happens when rocks are pulled through? Also, how much wear can the factory ring handle and still function well?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Wear Ring explanation.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 09:08:53 AM »
My aluminum wear ring is NOT stronger than the impeller, which is stainless steel, and once you've reached the point of requiring the first resurface, JB Marine epoxy is what is taking the abuse. The epoxy is still tougher than the stock plastic ring, so performance is retained much longer still. The stock ring loses it's performance after bumping bottom a couple times, and at $28 a pop how many do you want to keep buying? I was going through 2 a month in the beginning, that was me being on the water 3-4 days a week for 3-4 hours each day. Another thing about the factory wear ring is there are two different dimensions for them, the old model boat was smaller in diameter by approx .010, so when you get the replacement from Mokai it doesn't fit without some major beating and a few choice words. The factory wear ring is made to fit the new hull and ES-Kape models, but they still need to be installed with a light hammer and require a tool to remove. My aluminum wear ring will last forever since it can be resurfaced, it requires no tools to install or remove, and one package of the JB Marine will resurface the ring 5-6 times and the first package of the epoxy comes with it. That will cover you for the first couple years.  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Californiamokai

• Cool Points: 8
  • Engine: RS SP-210 w/17 ES
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:16:29 AM »
So true about the factory replacements being a bear to replace and Tom's is so easy in comparison. Question though on Tom's, if the old and newer models (not the escape) have different inside dimensions, does Tom's one size fits all impact anything.  Just curious, John

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 01:14:54 PM »
So true about the factory replacements being a bear to replace and Tom's is so easy in comparison. Question though on Tom's, if the old and newer models (not the escape) have different inside dimensions, does Tom's one size fits all impact anything.  Just curious, John

Mine are not all one size, they are made specifically for whatever model the order was for. The old hull ( up to 2007) had the smaller size, and the new hull and ES-Kape use the larger size (they both use the same one). All the impellers vary slightly in size due to manufacturing tolerance and wear, but are the "same" size.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 17
  • Engine: RS
  • Model Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 10:27:47 PM »
Tom's wear ring is the way to go if you have to replace the OEM. Overall better deal than factory. The plastic ring can hold jb/epoxy fill and do well if applied correctly. The application takes tedious time (multiple layers/sanding probably) if the plastic ring is not scored into one large circumferential hollow. Shallow water and sandy bottoms will take out a plastic wear ring in short order. One trip out can do it.
The aluminum ring is more resilient and is a far superior base to apply jb to.
I don't use the mok as much as many here do but can assure you my next ring purchase will be Painless.

Offline Mokai Game Changer

• Cool Points: 7
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
Thanks for the explanation guys. Tom, the reason I asked about this is my boat came with 5 rings so I'm going through them now. The rivers I run are shallow and sandy rock bottom. I'm getting two trips out of a ring and might go longer but it's gouged pretty good even being careful. The plastic ring is a bear to replace in my 2010!  I've done it twice already and look forward to your aluminum ring soon! 

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »
Sure, use what you got and holler when you're ready to upgrade. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it. ;) 
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline French Broad River

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: Honda GC190
  • Model Year: 2006 / 2003
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »
Hey I've had my boat about 4 months. What is the function and purpose of the wear ring and what do I look for as far as wear on mine? >:D

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 06:12:33 PM »
It ensures the water is directed through the impeller, once grooves start forming then water is able to go around the impeller and the pump loses efficiency... and you lose your top speed performance. It doesn't take much, and it only takes bumping the bottom once or twice to ruin a wear ring. Pull your pump back and look at your ring, if it's grooved deeper than 1/32-1/16th then you will want to replace it. Running the river you are on, for 4 months, I'm sure your ring is toast.  ;)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 08:57:35 PM »
Took a picture....is it toast? Also while I was out.......3 skunks walked by!!!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »
 :)) Toast is an understatement..... THAT my friend, is how soldiers hide during battle... You have an infantry worthy trench going on there! This is why I make them out of aluminum, the JB Marine epoxy used to resurface it will even outlast the plastic.  \./8

Glad your report didn't include getting skunked..... Although the smell is almost real right now from past memories....  :-[
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 09:04:16 AM »
Ordered my ring this morning, Tom. It's for the old hull. I'm off this week, so I'm heading to river this morning. Slowly, but surely, I'll upgrade this baby! By what I read, the old ones are a bear to get out! Another question I had was, if you extend and reduce the nozzle where the water exits the jet pump, would that give you more pressure resulting in more speed?  >:D

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 45
  • Engine: EX21 W/EX17 Head
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 12:38:18 PM »
Regarding extending the nozzle:  I have a reverse mechanism on my Mokai which extends the nozzle a couple of inches.  It does nothing to increase the speed.  It does however, cause the steering to require a bit more force at higher speeds. It just takes more force to bend the water stream exiting the pump.  I put up with this minor issue though because I like having reverse.  But, in my experience, extending the nozzle does not increase speed.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 01:26:55 PM »
Ordered my ring this morning, Tom. It's for the old hull. I'm off this week, so I'm heading to river this morning. Slowly, but surely, I'll upgrade this baby! By what I read, the old ones are a bear to get out! Another question I had was, if you extend and reduce the nozzle where the water exits the jet pump, would that give you more pressure resulting in more speed?  >:D

Shipping your ring right now.  ;) Here is an easy way to remove the old one.  http://www.improvingyourmokai.com/index.php/topic,195.0.html

Bill is spot on with the nozzle info, years ago I too extended my nozzle to see if it would change anything with regards to speed or faster steering. Did nothing but make it harder to move the handle.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline MAXTORQUE

• Cool Points: 14
  • Model Year: 2011
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 04:12:29 PM »
Ok, how about shrinking the exit orifice a 1/4" tapering down the exit?  We know that when we do this on a hose the water will shoot out further and harder but will it do on the boat??  Have you tried this Tom?   i have the lathe and the aluminum but if it is something you have already tried then I don't want to beat a dead horse.