$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Tiny Tach alternative connections

Author Topic: Tiny Tach alternative connections  (Read 9602 times)

Offline riverboater

• Cool Points: 20
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2011
Tiny Tach alternative connections
« on: May 11, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
With the exception of the Painless clutch I am still running my 2011 Mokai stock as far as engine and jet pump go. I have a few modifications planned, but I wanted a baseline before making any changes. Enter the Tiny Tach.

I installed one years before in another application and really liked how it performed. It was the typical installation in a permanently mounted motor with the ground attached to the engine and the lead wrapped around the plug wire.

With the Mokai having a quickly removable engine (a feature I use often) I am wondering what alternative connection methods may be employed that will retain this feature and still allow the Tiny Tach to function properly.

I doubt I am the first to consider alternate connection methods than described by Tiny Tach, and would appreciate any input. Short of that I will start probing the kill switch with my DVM in the morning as I seem to recall someone had connected one there with good results.

I plan on mounting the tach near the throttle / steering lever, probably on the Kayak Konsole.

Cheers, Steve

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Tiny Tach alternative connections
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 08:14:52 AM »
My Tiny Tach is wired direct to the shutoff switch wire that comes from the coil. Mine is a one wire version but I've heard of people hooking up the two wire, like yours, the same way with excellent results.  ;D
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline GreenmtnMC

• Cool Points: 0
  • Engine: Sooby
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:56:22 AM »
So here is where being a banker leaves me scratching my head.  Forgive my not understanding, but why do you want a tach on a Mokai.  Such a small engine, no gears..., what can a tach do for you ?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:14:45 AM »
Great to have you aboard GreenmtnMC!

One reason is that a  tach will let you know if there is any debris in the pump. I've sucked up stuff in my pump and wouldn't have known if I hadn't had a tach or GPS to track my speed, the motor didn't sound any different really, but the tach would show a slight increase in RPM which is an indicator of cavitation. 

Then you have the "hot rodders" that are always searching for more performance, and having a tach is a sure way of telling if there was any gain.

Some of us just can't leave things stock... lol Improving, modifying and personalizing everything is the norm for some people and it can be very addicting once the bug bites!  ;D

*What can I modify or add next???  >:D

Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverboater

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 11:22:59 AM »
Good question GreenmtnMC. There are a couple of reasons I want a tach, specifically the Tiny Tach.

Installing the tach will give me a measurable baseline before I implement some modifications I have planned. Before I adjust / modify the governor for example, a tach is a required component to measure the changes in rpm achieved.

Keeping track of engine hours for oil changes and maintenance is a plus for the Tiny Tach as it has a built in hour meter.

Cheers, Steve

Offline GreenmtnMC

• Cool Points: 0
  • Engine: Sooby
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 08:27:45 PM »
Got it.  Thanks fellas. 

Offline MokaiBueño

• Cool Points: 3
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 01:12:17 AM »
riverboater, thought LessRon would see  your post, shoot him a PM, I think he might know of a connector for the coax on the Tiny Tach, he and i discussed this once and he mentioned the possibility of adding it to my tiny tach.  Just never did.  It is a pain in the neck not to have a quick connect.  Have not done mine yet but planning to.

You might contact tiny tach, they were willing to custom make a longer cable for me at no charge when ordering through them.  They might know of a coax connector, don't recall the spec on the cable but mine did get crushed and LessRon did repair mine. 

Offline riverboater

Install Update
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:55:50 PM »
Got the tach installed and it works great. As it turns out, on the Subaru at least, the kill switch is the perfect place to connect the Tiny Tach if you are installing in that area anyhow. On mine the kill switch red wire is from the coil and the black is ground.

I soldered leads into the wires between the kill switch and connector as taps for the tach. In case I want to remove the tach for any reason I used knife connectors which I sealed with shrink tube at install. In this installation the red “antenna” wire of the Tiny Tach is a direct connection rather than acting as a wrap around antenna. I chose not to shorten the tach leads should I ever want to use it in another application.

Obligatory disclaimer: It works fine for me… on my boat… so far… for the short time I have run it. Modify your boat at your own risk.  ;)

Cheers, Steve

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »
Looks great Riverboater, that should work well for you. Good to see somebody else that uses solder and heat shrink.  ;D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »
Riverboater,
That's a great solution, and one that I will use.  Thanks

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 09:57:14 PM »
Tiny Tach is in and working great.  Thanks again Tom and Riverboater.  Love to see the "made in USA" label.  I would like to have an American motor as good as the Robin.

Offline SuckNwater

• Cool Points: 1
  • Engine: EX21
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 08:29:24 PM »
Riverboater,  well I'm getting tired of wrapping my tach lead around the spark plug wire also...so just so I understand the wiring setup off the tiny tach...both the red and white wires connect into the same black wire leading to the tiny tach. 

The red wire (tiny tach) gets connected to the red wire (hot wire) on the Kill circuit and the white wire from the tiny tach hooks up to the black (ground)  on the Kill circuit.  This way we get a defined break of current on each ignition.  Well, sometimes I'm a little so on the uptake...so just wanted  to be sure.

SuckNwater

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 08:53:19 PM »
Riverboater,  well I'm getting tired of wrapping my tach lead around the spark plug wire also...so just so I understand the wiring setup off the tiny tach...both the red and white wires connect into the same black wire leading to the tiny tach. 

The red wire (tiny tach) gets connected to the red wire (hot wire) on the Kill circuit and the white wire from the tiny tach hooks up to the black (ground)  on the Kill circuit.  This way we get a defined break of current on each ignition.  Well, sometimes I'm a little so on the uptake...so just wanted  to be sure.

SuckNwater

Red wire from Tiny Tach goes to Red wire from coil that runs to the kill switch, Tiny Tach white wire goes to ground which is the black wire on the kill switch. If you have a Tach that only has ONE wire then that would go to the red wire from the coil. I've been running mine like this for 10 months now, works great.  ;D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverboater

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »
SuckNwater, Sorry for the slow response, been out of touch for a bit. Tom's response is spot on.

Hope your install worked out for ya.

Cheers, Steve

Offline Hersh

• Cool Points: 8
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »
River, I want to add a Tiny Tach to my two Mokais with 2011 Subaru engines.  What model of T-Tach should I use.

Thanks

Hersh