$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Fuel Filters, Gas Lines, and Ethanol

Author Topic: Fuel Filters, Gas Lines, and Ethanol  (Read 7272 times)

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 16
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
Re: Fuel Filters, Gas Lines, and Ethanol
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »
... but once it started to cause problems it was like dominoes and all of my boats were down.

From your description,  I'd blame the trouble on getting batch of poor quality gasoline. Otherwise why would boats with (presumably) different age and consequently different length of exposure to E10 go down at the same time?

But whatever the reason may be, filter should be helpful, as both preventive and warning device. My question is why did you recommend only one filter on stock Eskape? As in "Install between fuel tank and fuel pump on the down side."  Is there something wrong with putting filter right before carb?

Offline Fishlover

• Cool Points: 7
  • Engine: Subaru EX21
  • Model Year: 2015 ES-Kape
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 01:19:56 PM »
Here is what the factory had to say:

"You shouldn't have to worry about the fuel lines in your boat, the fuel line we use exceeds EPA requirements. However with the continued increase of Ethanol levels, at some point may begin to break down the lines (at what % I don't know). We do recommend running Ethanol free fuel if you can easily obtain it. At this point we have not experienced deterioration of the fuel line used for all Subaru models."

While this sounds somewhat reassuring, with individual experiences varying greatly, it won't hurt to keep a close eye on this. Especially prior to any big trip.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 01:30:50 PM »
I've seen a number of Subaru engines that had fuel line deterioration since Ethanol came about.... Don't listen to their advice about not worrying about it, they won't be the ones coming to get you when the mess makes it your carb 10 miles from the ramp. Mokai is notorious for saying "we've never had that problem", when it's a big problem many have had.

Just sayin'....  ;)
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Fishlover

• Engine: Subaru EX21
  • Model Year: 2015 ES-Kape
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 03:36:13 PM »
I hear you!

Wondering about the pump membrane. Any idea what it's made of?
Just out of curiosity, how exactly did you attach the filter at the carb?
Assume you used a short hose?
I know you inverted the pump for this, but those pics don't show enough to make this a slam dunk.
Would a threaded carb entry port with use of metal tubing (similar to those small brake lines) provide a better way to address this and make more room for easier filter mounting/changing?
Just thinking out loud.

Offline Larry

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 22
  • Engine: Honda GC190
  • Model Year: 2007/2007
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 04:55:05 PM »
I guess the same goes for the Honda engine too. I haven't had a problem yet, but I guess I had better put in a filter.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »
Most of the Honda engines had that green translucent fuel line, I haven't see any issues with that yet. Filter is still highly recommended on all motors.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline slowtrot

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 06:36:48 AM »
I not seen the fuel line decay problem but I got tired of lawn mowers, chain saws, outboards and weed wackers that would not run and required an annual take apart and carb rebuild.  On one of my old lawn mowers the fuel bowl rusted completely through.  Since I switched to non ethanol gas the problems of small engine fuel vanished.  In my experience, if ethanol gas is allowed to sit in a motor that is infrequently run, you are likely to develop gas related problems. Fuel exposed to the air in a carburetor is a real problem.   Our RV is a gasser and so is its generator, so every week I start that little Onan and run it for a while but it is a matter of time before it gums up. 

The people that make the decision about corn and gas never have to deal with the problems.  They never get their  hands dirty  with work.

Offline NCrawler

• Cool Points: 0
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »
I'm new here, so hello everyone.  If you were unaware, you do know that you can remove ethanol from gasoline using water, right?  It lowers the octane of the gasoline, so it is best to use the more expensive premium.  Using regular unleaded you would need to add an octane booster I suppose.  Here's a video that shows how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSnE4MYwRzs

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 43

Offline NCrawler

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »
http://www.buyrealgas.com/Arkansas.html

Yeah, gas station down the road from my house, about a mile, sells pure gas.  That's where I fill my ATV's up.  Smart phone app 'Pure Gas' is very handy.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 08:33:49 PM »
I'm new here, so hello everyone.  If you were unaware, you do know that you can remove ethanol from gasoline using water, right?  It lowers the octane of the gasoline, so it is best to use the more expensive premium.  Using regular unleaded you would need to add an octane booster I suppose.  Here's a video that shows how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSnE4MYwRzs

Welcome! Thanks for the video, luckily there are enough gas stations to get it from in most places. I'm fortunate enough to have a gas station two blocks away that has No-E 87.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 16
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 11:52:28 PM »

Personally, I would not do that. Gasoline is supposed to be a complex mixture with brand-dependent proprietary components. They may not be compatible with water extraction process, for example, may be extracted along with ethanol and/or hydrolyzed. In that case you'd basically trade one problem for another, ending up with a gas that's missing some useful component or has detrimental impurities.

Offline BULLZ-i

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »
GREAT INFO