$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Purchasing and installing a depth finder/fish finder

Author Topic: Purchasing and installing a depth finder/fish finder  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Roger

• Cool Points: 1
  • Engine: Subaru EX21-electric
  • Model Year: ES Kape 2015
Purchasing and installing a depth finder/fish finder
« on: May 06, 2015, 07:37:59 PM »
Hello,

Hopefully I will soon be a new owner of a Mokai ES-Kape.

I need some help with what type of depth/fish finder I should buy and how best to install it.

I plan to purchase the Painless Clutch and pump guard as my first add on purchase.

Thanks for the help,

Roger

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Purchasing and installing a depth finder/fish finder
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:59:24 PM »
Hey Roger, welcome and congrats on your coming Mokai!

Depth finder would either need to be mounted externally with some type of quick release (so the boat can be taken apart if needed), or use a shoot through the hull type mounted in the cockpit floor. I have the Humminbird 385ci and have been very pleased with it.

I'll be looking forward to your order.  :)
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Voyager

• Cool Points: 7
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2011/2015
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:09:18 AM »
I mounted a Garmin 50 DV GPS/Fish finder on mine I used a 1-1/2 Ram ball mount. Then I used a second 1 inch ball mount on the bottom of the bracket and a piece of aluminum flat bar to mount the transducer over the side. Everything is removable quick and easy.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:50:01 AM »
Looks nice Voyager, will that give you accurate depth readings while on plane?
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Voyager

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »
I move the bar up against the hull and it will read when I'm on plane. But it does throw up some water. I also have a ball mounted behind me that will get the splash behind me. A lot of the time when I'm up on plane I will tip it up out of the water and just use it when I'm fishing.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 04:31:55 PM »
I see, if you just use it for fishing then I guess it really doesn't matter so much. I use mine as a nav tool for shallow running, when it shows .06' I get ready to drop to idle and let the clutch do it's job. So being able to see accurate depth while at full throttle is really important in those situations. 
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Voyager

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 08:56:13 PM »
Yea at Lake Powell shoreline tends to get deep fast I can be 10 feet off of the shore and in 100-200 feet of water. I have been in canyons where it was 35 feet between the canyon walls and 600 feet of water. Way different than a river. Here the typical river would be 30-40 feet across and maybe 2 -3 feet deep. The exception would be the Colorado and Green rivers.

Offline French Broad River

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: Honda GC190
  • Model Year: 2006 / 2003
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 09:11:56 PM »
So Tom, the shoot through the hull type transducer you speak of require no holes on the bottom? Is that something you have to special order with the hummingbird? Sounds interesting! I could use something like that while running the shallows! How does it mount to the floor? Got to get me one of those clutches too! Thanks, Dave >:D

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 12:50:57 AM »
So Tom, the shoot through the hull type transducer you speak of require no holes on the bottom? Is that something you have to special order with the hummingbird? Sounds interesting! I could use something like that while running the shallows! How does it mount to the floor? Got to get me one of those clutches too! Thanks, Dave >:D

http://www.humminbird.com/Products/XP-9-20-T/

That is the transducer I bought for my 385ci. Epoxy let loose after 6 months so I made a well out of PVC and machined it so the transducer would sit in it with just a slight interference fit. I glued the well down with polyurethane, put a little antifreeze in so the transducer would not have any air between it and the hull and it works great. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

The clutch is a game changer, you'll wonder how you lived without it. ;)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Roger

• Cool Points: 1
  • Engine: Subaru EX21-electric
  • Model Year: ES Kape 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 04:21:23 PM »
Tom,

Thanks, I really would like to see how you mounted the transducer inside your Mokai.

On another topic..............Do you think this seat by Hobie will fit the new Mokai? It looks like it has a lot advantages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYMUzq7uYeo

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »
Here ya' go. Simple method that can be moved from boat to boat if desired. I leave it there personally, just check it every once in a while to make sure the gear oil is filling the void and hasn't leaked out. I glued the pvc down with RTV ultra grey.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 06:05:56 PM by Painlesstom »
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 06:07:02 PM »
Tom,

Thanks, I really would like to see how you mounted the transducer inside your Mokai.

On another topic..............Do you think this seat by Hobie will fit the new Mokai? It looks like it has a lot advantages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYMUzq7uYeo

That seat looks promising.... It looks to be sized to fit any Mokai, it's just a matter of how to mount it that is left to question.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Voyager

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »
I've been looking at the Wilderness Systems Chair. I 'm having a little trouble with the $350 price tag. How much does the Hobie seat cost?

Offline Voyager

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »
One of my Hobie Kayaks that I had I mounted the transducer so it would shot thru the hull. The problem that I ran into was the temperature sensor was a little slow to read because it had to wait for the hull temp to adjust, At Lake Powell I watch the temps so I know where the fish are more active. That's why I switch to mounting them on the outside. They do throw up a bit of spray and they do slow you down a tiny bit. The new down view technology the transducers are really long but they provide an impressive view of the bottom.

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 20
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 05:25:32 PM »
Here ya' go. Simple method that can be moved from boat to boat if desired. I leave it there personally, just check it every once in a while to make sure the gear oil is filling the void and hasn't leaked out. I glued the pvc down with RTV ultra grey.
Hi Tom:

At the moment I'm trying some "duct seal" to mount my transducer in the ES-Kape, but I have a feeling the angled hull might create some issues. When I've done this in the past, I also notice that vibration can have a big impact and sometimes I would get erratic readings. In my Stik boat I just ended up using some slow setting epoxy, but not really an option with the Mokai, nor do I think I really want to mount something permanent anyway until I'm absolutely certain it's going to work 100%.

The gear oil is a new twist. In the past I think we talked about using anti-freeze to avoid evaporation, although I'm sure plain water would work. How did you end up securing the transducer? Zip tie?  I assume it's got something more than just gravity holding it in there.

I haven't tested out the duct seal on the ES-kape yet, but it's mounted and ready to go. I have some PVC here and ultra grey, so if this seems to be working for you I may give it a shot if my solution falls through. I didn't think that RTV would adhere well to the hull. You posted this way back in 2015, so how has it held up?
I didn't read the post all the way through the 1st time. Looks like you turned down a piece of PVC to make an interference fit. If this is held up over time, I'd be willing to pay you to turn a piece of PVC down for me. I can cut the bottom off at an angle to accommodate the angle of the ES-kape, or since you now have one, I guess you could probably do that as well. Seems like a pretty good solution if it's held up over time. Let me know...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:30:27 PM by Mokai Dreamin' »
Best,
Troy