$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Engine Idle

Author Topic: Engine Idle  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Hersh

• Cool Points: 8
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2011
Engine Idle
« on: August 10, 2012, 03:25:40 PM »
Need some help.  I'm certain one of my Mokais idles faster than the other or one is slower.  While at the lake trying to idle side by side one would continually move ahead by a boat length.  Looked in the manual that came with the Mokais and can't find any thing for idle adjustment.  Will know more when I get my Tiny Tachs installed.  Got them yesterday and now waiting for my kill switches to be returned from Mokai.  Going to use the setup River used for installing the TT's.  Any help would appreciated.

Thanks

Hersh

Online Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Engine Idle
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:34:21 PM »
There is an idle adjustment screw on the carburetor, it will look like the one in the picture. Your linkage might need to be adjusted as well where it has the quick disconnects, if there isn't enough slack to allow the throttle to move back with the idle screw. You will probably have to pull the motor out to be able to see it or adjust it. Try 1/8th turn at a time until you are satisfied with the result, but remember these air cooled motors are not going to have a consistent idle between cold and hot so don't set it too low or you will probably have stalling issues at operating temp.

Hopefully some EX21 owners will chime in if I missed anything.  :)

Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hersh

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:50:05 AM »
Tom thanks for the reply.  Finally got my kill switches back and installed my TT's today.  One Mokai idles at 1640 at a warm temp and the other is 50-60 rpm faster.  This is after they have been idling about ten minutes.  The tach's bounce around, up than back down to what I think the rpm should be idling. Is this normal for TT's.  I used Rivers setup for the install. When  I go to your clutch this shouldn't make any difference.

Thanks

Hersh

Online Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:19:43 PM »
Glad to help, anytime. I think the resolution of the TT is 20 rpm so if you are right at a threshold point you will see a 20 rpm bounce even though the motor sounds even, normal from what you described.

Is your idle rpm reading taken in the water, or out? If they are idling that nicely out of the water then remind of that when you get around to going with my clutch as I can put a lighter spring for 1800 rpm engagement. For those who are able to get that idle down, that lighter spring makes a world of difference in clutch function.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hersh

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »
 Tom, the rpm was taken out of the water. Also I have the TT's set at 360 D.  When the engines were cold the rpm's were both at 1460 and rose after they warmed up.

Hersh

Online Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:12:57 PM »
Sounds like you have them set perfectly. Good idle speeds, nice work.  ;D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hersh

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »
 Tom, back again sorry if I'm a pain today.  I took your suggestion about the linkage and discovered that the springs on the engine end of the cable were at different tensions.  One spring was loose(no return tension) at the end or idle position. The other engine spring would return the throttle all the way to the stop.  Backed off the nut on the cable that makes contact with the return spring to increase tension and now both engines idle at 1610 rpm. 

Thanks

Hersh

Online Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »
That's great Hersh, it's fun to finally figure something out and get a desired result.  :)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com