$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; New Pump Rebuild Video

Author Topic: New Pump Rebuild Video  (Read 5774 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
New Pump Rebuild Video
« on: March 18, 2015, 02:41:53 AM »
Wanted to share this since I've changed some things since the last video I made regarding my rebuild.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAYobHnXK88" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAYobHnXK88</a>
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 46
  • Engine: EX21 W/EX17 Head
  • Model Year: 2010
Re: New Pump Rebuild Video
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:24:25 PM »
This demonstrates to me that even when there was no apparent problem with the pump, it is essential that it be sent in to you for a rebuild.  I very much appreciate the work you've done, and also for showing what could have led to the bearings ceasing, most likely at the least opportune time.  Excellent work on the pump and the video.  Thanks.   Bill.  \./8

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 17
  • Engine: RS
  • Model Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »
Tom,  you rebuilt my pump two years ago and it continues to perform like new. Thanks. Your videos are informative and clearly indicate a scope of work beyond the average bear's reach.
With respect to the pump housing and axle, how is runout corrected?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:35:57 PM »
This demonstrates to me that even when there was no apparent problem with the pump, it is essential that it be sent in to you for a rebuild.  I very much appreciate the work you've done, and also for showing what could have led to the bearings ceasing, most likely at the least opportune time.  Excellent work on the pump and the video.  Thanks.   Bill.  \./8

Thanks Bill, I'm glad I can help.  :)

Tom,  you rebuilt my pump two years ago and it continues to perform like new. Thanks. Your videos are informative and clearly indicate a scope of work beyond the average bear's reach.

Your feedback is much appreciated Ric, glad it's been working well for you.

Here is a post I made a couple years back on how I correct runout. http://www.improvingyourmokai.com/index.php/topic,123.msg578.html#msg578

Here is a video I made a few years ago on how to correct it while installed in the boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l_WzSWGaB0

Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:03:05 PM »

I interpreted Ric's comment to mean, how is the apparent runout between the bearing journals and the seal journal corrected?  As you pointed out on the uneven seal wear pattern on the shaft in the video that journal must be eccentric to the bearing journal, or it is out of round.

Perhaps another cause might be, as you have shown, is that the input shaft has runout with respect to the impeller shaft causing it to wobble somewhere between the engine coupling and the pump.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 02:30:37 PM »
Oh.... I understand now. The seal collar has an o-ring inserted into a groove in it's inside diameter, this is suppose to center the collar to the axle, but when the collar is slid over the axle threads it can get damaged. The damaged o-ring doesn't center the collar and it ends up riding in the seal on an elliptical course, this is where the heavy / light marks come from and resulting leak. The collar has a chamfer on it's lower innner area that will seal on an o-ring that I install on the axle instead. This not only centers the collar, it also provides a positive seal that will not leak like the factory method. Hope that makes sense. 
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »
I think I understand now.  Thanks for the explanation.  I wondered about the uneven wear pattern but, knowing that you've rebuilt many of these and received excellent results and feedback I am confident that you have all the issues covered.  I am anxious to get my pump back and run it.  I'm thinking it should be less prone to vibration, which I know improves the performance.  Thanks again.

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:37:53 PM »
Bill is tracking on what I was thinking about.  I read somewhere about "total runout" and was curious about it. Your detailed repairs and explanations are show and tell for folks unfamiliar with jets pumps. Fact is I wouldn't make third team on jet pump repair if ignorant was a prerequisite for qualification.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 01:31:09 PM »
Here are some pictures so you can see the internal o-ring vs. my method of using an o-ring under the chamfer.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 05:26:56 PM »
Now I can see how the original O'ring was deformed and couldn't provide the seal as it was intended to do.  Thanks for the additional photos.

My pump arrived at about 1:30 pm, my time, today via the USPS.  What fantastic service; 2 days from Ludowiki and for about the same cost as it was for me to ship it UPS from here which took 5 days.

I'm thrilled!  My Mokai is back in business and I'm hoping to get back on the water tomorrow, weather permitting.  Thanks again.

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 05:40:46 PM »
Thanks so much for the pictures and explanations Tom. I have seen and done the damaged o-ring thing with regards to repairs and other similar applications. I recall thinking at the time, "what crappy design". I also now have a more informed grasp of bearing pre-load.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 05:41:12 PM »
I'm glad you're happy Bill, the Post Office has their shining moments.  :D The pictures were from a pump I just got in for rebuild, so the timing there was great. As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

I'm looking forward to your water report. Curious to see if you gain any rpm. \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 12:56:23 AM »
It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood today and I took my boat for a cruise on the Willamette.  At first I noticed that after leaving the ramp and trying to run a full speed that it seemed to be a bit "loggy" and the RPM's after starting out at 4320 began to decrease down to 4140 rpms after a short run.  After a bit, it occurred to me to check that there was water coming out of my water-cooled muffler, and it wasn't!  What the heck? I saw that it was spewing water when I left the ramp.  I pulled over to a sandy beach and low and behold, the connection from the pump to the hull fitting was disconnected.  Apparently I just didn't get it latched when I installed the pump.

After getting the water flowing again I found that the performance was the same, 4320 - 4260, as it was before the pump was rebuilt, which to me is good, because it was just fine to begin with.  I am relieved, however, with the fact that it is unlikely that I will be stranded with a broken pump.   I shot a little video of my trip through the Portland waterfront.   :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A2bC6SZgec" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A2bC6SZgec</a>

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 22
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 01:36:05 AM »
Nice little video.  The nice weather probably makes you want to move back east somewhere. :))

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 08:11:40 AM »
Very nice Bill, your experience demonstrates the advantage of cooling the muffler too. Good stuff!  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com