$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; 2003 Mokai hdpe wear ring

Author Topic: 2003 Mokai hdpe wear ring  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Lord Icon

• Cool Points: -5
  • Engine: 5hp, 7 hp
  • Model Year: 2003,2012
2003 Mokai hdpe wear ring
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:45:46 PM »
I am putting the first 10-20 miles on my new (to me) 2003. the pump was making a pinging noise every once in a while. Taking it apart I found a rock that was being blown around. took the tips of some of the turbine blades. I took it out to inspect the bearings. They appear tight. The wear ring however looks to be made of hdpe rather than metal. As this is a very early design as evidenced by other hallmarks, blue colour, came with a mo-cart, non splined turbine. I can't wait to see the improvements my new one will have over this one.
Any thoughts as to adjustments or improvements ( besides the clutch ) please list and describe.
Thanks,
Kris in NH

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: 2003 Mokai hdpe wear ring
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:06:31 PM »
Mokai hasn't changed anything with regards to the pump or wear ring, they are all the same and use a  plastic wear ring. Only the shaft style has been changed over the years, in addition to some internal clearances that caused the bearings not to fit correctly.

I would highly recommend getting in touch with Mokai to see if you can get a newer intake grate for underneath the hull. The pitch fork version you have will let all kinds of junk in that will clog up the pump and accelerate wear ring damage.

As far as the wear ring goes, I make them out of aluminum and they can be "rebuilt" with JB Marine epoxy. It took 7 months before my first "rebuild" was required, but after a couple months it's still going strong. A pack of JB Marine costs $7 or so and will last the average person a year or two worth of "rebuilds". I would need your pump so I could match a wear ring to it though, and I charge $75 + shipping.  Last wear ring you'd have to buy! I would also repair any damage the impeller had.

Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Lord Icon

• Cool Points: -5
  • Engine: 5hp, 7 hp
  • Model Year: 2003,2012
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
as I am more familiar with off road things. I am familiar with the weak link theory.. ie. if I get better axles and bigger tyres then my u joints will break, if I get better u joints then the transmission breaks. ... keep cheap u joints , easy to fix and cheap..
Why do I want a metal wear ring? I understand the theory of the nylon one. Hence "wear" ring, a consumable part like brakes.
Please explain the pros/ cons of the two if you have time..
Thanks.
Kris

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »
Aluminum lasts 10x longer than the plastic with no risk to the impeller which is stainless. At $28 a pop, shipped, the plastic wear rings get to be expensive with regular use, and would only last me a month before I need to replace it. I have been running my aluminum wear ring since the beginning of December and just spent $7 a month ago on a pack of JB Marine to resurface it finally.

The plastic rings would scuff up after the first trip out and go downhill from there, the more scuffing and there is, the more speed you loose. I would get one week of good performance and then three weeks of dealing with loss until I gave in a ordered another $28 plastic ring.

The aluminum ring will last forever as it can be resurfaced, it is held in place by the pump clamping pressure and is a slip fit into the housing so no beating is required to install or remove.

Those are all the "Pros", the "Cons" would be having to send your pump (and wear ring housing for the new hulls) so I can match it up since each impeller/ pump is a little different. But that is a one time thing.

Hope that helps  :)
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com