$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; The "Painless" ES-Kape Plan - This is what you've been waiting for!!

Author Topic: The "Painless" ES-Kape Plan - This is what you've been waiting for!!  (Read 17077 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: The "Painless" ES-Kape Plan - This is what you've been waiting for!!
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 02:58:56 PM »
Thanks Tom.  I was under the impression the last of the previous stock models were 3-4 mph slower, that 15-16 mph resulted after much modification. Your latest video makes me wonder if the new design allows the pump to sit lower in the water. Hard to say without old and new running side by side. Probably not.
What I do know is I am now od green with envy. Rick (Mokai) probably won't frame and display your review Monday morning but I doubt it will be used for a dart board either.
Love to hear more, thanks for sharing, both of you.

When I picked up my 2011, it was bone stock and I saw 17 mph with a brief tip of 18. After converting to ES and adding all my upgrades I still manage 15-16 mph. But bone stock it was technically faster that the bone stock ES-Kape.

Really interesting take on it. And just to see how it all comes together(literally!) after all these months of waiting and anticipation......

How much would you say it would cost for you to do all the mods ex factory to you and then shipping on? (Mind you I suppose Mokai wouldn't take kindly to us ordering and putting yr address down as a delivery point!)" Well done!

Thanks Jonty, good to hear from you!

I have no idea how much it would cost for me to ship or even how I could, but I highly doubt Mokai would even ship your boat to me in the first place. I believe that would be very unlikely anyhow.  As far as the cost of my upgrades, you can see them all on my store here -> http://www.painlesstom.com/pnc.htm  The only aspect that would require modification to install would be making some clearance in the muffler for my clutch to fit, otherwise everything else is pretty easy to the average person to install.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 17
  • Engine: RS
  • Model Year: 2008
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 09:16:54 PM »
Mokaibahrain's notion tho likely tongue'n'cheek, has been done before. Detroit did it off and on for decades with willing partnerships. Money works wonders.
My bone stock 08' after upgrade to ex21 & 17 head with pull start,  nothing else added but a temporary muffler realized 17 with grate. Don't know if it would sustain that speed. I doubt it. I added/changed stuff since the initial trial run. For sure not 17 now with ES, and a few more pounds here and there added on.
Sounds to me Mokai maybe hit it this time but for cost. That kind of $ could buy one heck of a river runner with cash left over.
Nice to have a strong thread running again. Thanks.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
The exhaust on these boats is a slip fit design so they didn't have to weld the joints, and eliminate the chance of stress cracks from inadequate bracing. The result is a severe exhaust leak at the header to muffler joint. Fiberglass header wrap wrapped tightly around the joint will effectively seal the leak and drastically reduce the noise. Can't hurt that some heat is contained, and the exhaust fumes are no longer being pumped into the engine compartment. Short comparison video so you can hear the difference.  \./8

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZrSefk--tA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZrSefk--tA</a>
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »
Interesting tid bit on the muffler. Unless the intent was for the operator to remove the muffler why would they not complete the exhaust with welding and a couple of braces?
After studying several videos of older models with different hulls and engines and comparing them to your Eskape upgrade video I'm nearly convinced of something I mentioned previously.  Unlike the older models, the new configuration puts the pump almost if not entirely under water while underway. I think it's nearly submerged at idle, and nearly fully submerged from part to full throttle. Even the latest old model with KX engine and older videos with heavier payloads appeared higher than the water's surface. If my observation stands true I can't help but wonder how if it contributes to improved speed and maneuverability. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:39:40 PM by Odie »

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 02:52:57 PM »
Welding the exhaust with adequate bracing would be the proper way to do things, some people tend to over complicate things right off the bat. There are o-ring vibration dampers build into the mount the muffler hangs from, time and temperature will cause the muffler to sag eventually, but there aren't any welds to crack. 

When on plane, none of the pumps are under water. The ES-Kape pump may drag in the water a little, but it is not under, and with my pump guard installed it wouldn't even do that. And since there was zero affect on speed or steering with the guard installed, I'd say the pump wasn't creating any drag. The hull shape and possibly the chopped stern area are what allowed for more speed after the engine work.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »
Sorry about screenshot bad quality in attachments. Naturally, your're at idle in the two pics. I also noticed the steering nozzle new profile. Is the exit diameter unchanged?
I like the new engine mount system, I would think the engine sump would run a little cooler.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »
The pumps are submerged at idle in our old boats too, so nothing really different there. The nozzle is different in that the lever extends from the top instead of mid level like before, and it's now plastic. Didn't notice any difference in size, remember the new pump is the same as the old ones.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 07:36:08 PM »
Yup. Had to search for a good pic of an older model and you're spot on. While in the search I snapped another of your video showing the topside of the hull from inside the compartment. Mokai had a better file pic but with inkspot infringement warnings so I included yours instead, hope you don't mind. Last pic is from the web. The new hull incorporates lift strakes? Maybe they eliminate the prior hull ribs, improve performance and maintain structural integrity?
Can your pump guard suffice for a rear lift point?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:40 PM »
The pump guard has handles incorporated into each side for convenience, and will support the weight of the boat without problem. The bottom of the hull does not have any cross bracing anymore, and when on plane the center / left side was rising up as it flexed. At least 1/2" deflection was noticed. There probably should have been some braces, but it didn't seem to have any negative impact on speed.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverman

• Cool Points: 19
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »
Hey Tom, after a good looking over and taking the time to create a pump guard; do you feel the transom with the guard attached will withstand some harsh punishment on large rocks?
Dean

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 01:39:58 PM »
Thanks for the excellent photos Tom. Some serious engineering and design went into the new hull. My understanding is the step climb concept successfully accomplished is extraordinarily complex. The front of the hull appears similar to a reverse chine.

Offline Fairbro

• Cool Points: 1
  • Engine: Prospect
  • Model Year: prospect
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 12:29:54 PM »
I really enjoy the video of assembly but for the life of me can't locate the battery position in the sequence. Where is it, must be in the engine compartment somewhere?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 12:32:47 PM »
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The battery is in the engine compartment, all the way in the back under the steering servo.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 12:41:33 PM »
Hey Tom, after a good looking over and taking the time to create a pump guard; do you feel the transom with the guard attached will withstand some harsh punishment on large rocks?
Dean

Sorry for the late reply, I miss some posts once in a while when I get busy. While the transom area appears to be very strong, it's anybodies guess what kind of abuse it will tolerate. Personally I think you could destroy the pump guard before the transom would suffer any damage. A stronger pump guard could also be made, if needed, if the modular concept wasn't a concern.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverman

• Cool Points: 19
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »
Thanks Tom, I guess the only way to find out is for me to punish it against the rocks. I ordered the es-kape so hopfully by spring I'll get that chance. Closer to that time I'll purchase one from you and see if it will need any beefing up. It has 5 connection points so it should be fine unless the steel just bends from the force of the hits.

I was wondering if you or anyone has ever bolted a strip of uhmw plastic to the bottom for a skid plate. I was thinking of a strip as wide as the flat keel section on the es-kape; looks to be about 8" wide. Do you forsee any major problems with that other than the obvious extra weight?