$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; The "Painless" ES-Kape Plan - This is what you've been waiting for!!

Author Topic: The "Painless" ES-Kape Plan - This is what you've been waiting for!!  (Read 17879 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Alright everyone.... Some time ago, or recently, from somewhere far or near... A very generous customer, or guardian angel, put an ES-Kape in my hands so I could install my clutch, remove the governor, rebuild the pump to my specs, and install a tach. Was told to go through it and figure out anything I needed to in order to develop new products that could be useful for it. I tell you what, it's been a wild ride and one I am excited to share with everyone finally. AND A HUGE THANK YOU TO MR. ANONYMOUS OWNER!! YOU HAVE BEEN A BLESSING AND AN ANSWERED PRAYER!!!!  :)

My initial impression of the boat is that is is definitely completely different from the previous models. The cockpit is huge now, plenty of room to get in and out, and plenty of room to move around. It is longer and wider than before, I like this aspect very much. There are paddle clips inside that are well placed and work very well, I liked this change also. The seat is the same uncomfortable mess as the last model so don't get your hopes up there.

Speed was not any faster than before, I only got 15-16 mph going with the current. Touched 17 a couple times but couldn't retain it. Steering response and turning radius are vastly improved, but the joystick control is way to sensitive for my liking and there is no option for a throttle lock. So you must hold the joystick all the time to move, the slightest sideways motion will change your course. Starting the engine requires flipping the power switch on, then pushing the start button. There is no longer any choke control but I found there really isn't need for the choke anyhow, if it gets cold enough to require it's use.. it's too cold to play in the Mokai anyhow.

The new hull design has a longer slope to the bow angle, this makes for a dry ride that doesn't splash water over the front like the old models did when not at full throttle. It also cuts through wake much better too. The first couple trips out I could tell the boat wanted to roll more easily and I felt a little unbalanced, but that did not last long as I quickly got used to it.

While the boat did not come close to hitting the advertised 20 mph, the new hull design is more than capable of allowing that to happen with some upgrades to the engine. After removing the governor and tying the servo directly to the carb, fixing the "cold air" intake that was actually a vacuum cleaner  (the air plenum sucks on the carburetor), and installed a EX17 head for more compression, the boat had no problem reaching 20 mph and once I even hit 21 mph for about 10 seconds.

The videos will show you more of what I've been up to, and my store has been updated with all the new products I've developed so that you can ES-Kape in style!!

I look forward to hearing what all of you have to say, so don't be shy. I've been in, over, under, around and through this boat a few times now, so any questions you might have can be answered.  \./8

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdM-dcac0ww" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdM-dcac0ww</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV_rblhX8no" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV_rblhX8no</a>
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverman

• Cool Points: 19
Re: The "Painless" ES-Kape Plan - This what you've been waiting for!!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »
Two words: friggin genius!! that's all I have to say for now!

Offline slowtrot

• Cool Points: 7
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 07:27:03 PM »
Tom  Any thoughts about the heat problem in this design or has it been solved?  Slowtrot

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 07:41:58 PM »
Finishing the wrap job on the muffler and adding a heat shield made a big difference in sound and hull temps. Performance loss was minimal over a 10 mile run, so it would appear ventilation is adequate for now. Longer run times, in warmer weather, might give different results but we won't know until later this Summer when people start sharing their experiences.

In stock form, there were still hot starting issues and the hull temp above the muffler reached 177. So there are heat issues with the design, but they can be dealt with from what I've experienced.

Two words: friggin genius!! that's all I have to say for now!

Thanks! I'm glad you could appreciate.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Online bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 46
  • Engine: EX21 W/EX17 Head
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
I too think that Tom has done a fantastic job on this modification and the accompanying documentary. If I were to acquire an ES-Kape, I would beat a path to his door, or web site as it were.  He knows what he's doing.

Offline riverboater

• Cool Points: 20
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2011
Re: The "Painless" ES-Kape Plan - This is what you've been waiting for!!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 10:20:01 PM »
Nice work Tom! A great report on the new model.

Your video is the best (OK the only) useful information I have seen to date on the new model, and I for one really appreciate it.

Cheers, Steve

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 12:46:27 AM »
Thanks Bill, and Steve. I'm glad you liked what I've done and appreciate the feedback!
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline slowtrot

• Cool Points: 7
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 06:44:43 AM »
I am happy to see that Mokai has finally been able to start delivering new boats.  I was concerned that they had fixed it so much that the whole company was gone.  For some customers  I can see the need for a small package.  It would be nice for folks in small apartments or people that want their boat with them in an RV or on a float plane in Alaska.  They have simplified the set up but it is not something I would want.   The new hull design is an improvement.  If I was buying new, I would like a one piece boat with the new front 2/3s and the old stern design.  Fly by wire is a little too much for this old man.  I have seen too many micro circuits croak for strange reasons.

If I owned that company I would try and partner with Tom either as a consultant or as a main parts supplier if only for his market recognized clutch.  The notion that a centrifugal clutch wont work is almost funny.  I have a couple of Stihl chainsaws, an O44 and an O64 which have cut a lot of big trees over the last 20 years.  Those clutches  have been worked very very hard.  They have never ever had a problem and they make the saws possible.  The Mokai clutch has a very easy time of it compared to a chain saw which gets constant shock and heavy load when the chain stops running when the motor is wide open.

And now on another subject, as a Georgian, I am claiming bragging rights on Tom.  In our state we have the recognized world expert on the Mokai boat.  We are not first in a lot of things but we are clearly first place in the world on this one.  Eat your heart out you non Georgia people.  And the other great thing about this is that Tom lives in a nice small town and  not in the Atlanta area, so it might be possible to even visit him without sitting in terrible traffic.

Slowtrot

Offline Hersh

• Cool Points: 8
  • Model Year: 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 09:19:57 AM »
 Great job Tom. Thanks for all the great up grades you have given us to improve our Mokai's. I know I've said it before but your clutch was the great's improvement for my boats.  I don't understand Mokia's resistance to the addition of a clutch. Also your video was very informative on how to assemble the boat. It answer a lot of my questions about the boat.

Had a couple guys contact me after watching my Wapsi video wanting more info on the Mokai's and were very interested in buying boats until they found out the $5400 price. Their feeling was it was too high a price.

Hersh

Offline French Broad River

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: Honda GC190
  • Model Year: 2006 / 2003
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 09:47:36 AM »
Great information, Tom! I reserved the new Mokai, with an estimated delivery in mid April. looking forward to it for sure. Will probably do upgrades a few at a time. Watched your videos, very informative on this new boat. Thanks, will be in touch! Dave

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 17
  • Engine: RS
  • Model Year: 2008
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 11:54:10 AM »
It's a great before and after run down on the new boat fo-sure. Summer will proove performance tho 20 now is virtually unsurpassed. I touched 20 briefly one Spring a few years ago without the grate so I wouldn't anticipate a huge summer penalty.
To what specifically do you attribute the increased factory speed performance? Bow angle, width, chopped tail, all, or none I've listed? Can you provide a picture of the bottom (hull)? Is the blade pitch the same?
What is the greatly improved turning radius attributed to?

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
Thank you, Tom, for what so many, probably all over the world, have been waiting for . . . the first  review of the new ES.  It is exciting to see both the good and maybe not so good from someone with your experience and ability to document the actual performance.  Pretty exciting, too, to see that you have found a way to break the 20 MPH barrier.  Good to know that the clutch is easily fitted and that the governor can be bypassed with direct link from servo to carb.  Looks to me that there is a lot of fun ahead with the new ES-Kape.

What a great first look! 

PS:  Thanks also to Mr. Anonymous

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 01:01:55 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm delighted to be able to be the first to make all this information available. Am working on another brief comparison video and I will post more pictures later this weekend, will be sure some of the bottom of the hull are included.

To be accurate, Odie, there was no increased factory speed performance. The boat only went 15-16 mph with a current in stock form. The speed increase resulted from intake and engine work. The hull shape most definitely made the difference in taking advantage of the upgrades though. The chopped stern is probably allot of why the turning radius was improved, it will literally do doughnuts now... spin on a dime and give you change. This also makes the steering control very sensitive, move the joystick any more than 1/16th at full throttle and the boat jerks. Left seems to be more responsive than right.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 17
  • Engine: RS
  • Model Year: 2008
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 01:37:54 PM »
Thanks Tom.  I was under the impression the last of the previous stock models were 3-4 mph slower, that 15-16 mph resulted after much modification. Your latest video makes me wonder if the new design allows the pump to sit lower in the water. Hard to say without old and new running side by side. Probably not.
What I do know is I am now od green with envy. Rick (Mokai) probably won't frame and display your review Monday morning but I doubt it will be used for a dart board either.
Love to hear more, thanks for sharing, both of you.

Offline Mokaibahrain

• Cool Points: 1
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »
Really interesting take on it. And just to see how it all comes together(literally!) after all these months of waiting and anticipation......

How much would you say it would cost for you to do all the mods ex factory to you and then shipping on? (Mind you I suppose Mokai wouldn't take kindly to us ordering and putting yr address down as a delivery point!)" Well done!