$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Clutch will NOT cause these problems!

Author Topic: Clutch will NOT cause these problems!  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Clutch will NOT cause these problems!
« on: November 12, 2014, 06:06:15 PM »
I received an email today from somebody who had been in contact with Mokai regarding the new model. One of things that was brought up was, "When I asked the folks at the factory about why they donít offer a clutch, the answer was that they tried it and it makes the engine run hotter, drops top boat speed and (if one did add a clutch afterwards) it will void their warranty."

Such claims simply proves to me they have no idea how a centrifugal clutch works, or that they have been used on horizontal shaft air cooled motors all over the world for the past 60 years without any such problems. There have been no reports of any problems with the clutch, nor have I experienced any problems with them on either of my Mokai boats. Once the clutch hits it's engagement rpm, it is locked up and will not affect top speed ever. If Mokai tried and failed, the failure is theirs alone, and has nothing to do with my product which has been a proven and bulletproof success.

And again, it is against Federal law for a manufacturer to void a warranty based on the installation of aftermarket parts. Read Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Just wanted to clear that up again.... End of rant.  ;)
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline XYZER

• Cool Points: 5
Re: Clutch will NOT cause these problems!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 09:40:12 PM »
The clutch has been one the best upgrades! The factory needs to do a better job testing upgrades. I have yet to touch my clutch to find it hot....even warm. I have found the clutch  aids in cooling down the engine and compartment if allowed to ldle for a minute before I shut it down.  The clutch allows you to do this even if the intake is burried in gravel without worrying about processing it through the pump! I have made the mistake of running full speed up to a floating friend on the river and do a instant shutdown only to do the jerk on the pull rope until you figure next it will break! I usually have to paddle to shore so I can get out and remove the engine cover so it will cool down. After watching this "New Model Release" for the past year plus whatever I am not suprised at their comments of a clutch!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 11:19:17 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Dave. The factory has never tested my clutch (they were very adamant about wanting nothing to do with it)  anything they did try was many years before I arrived on the scene according to what Marie told me back in 2011. While the clutch will be hot to the touch, it is not from any heat it generated itself. It will be as hot as the motor is since it's attached, and you are correct in idling before shutdown helping the motor cool down. I, too, have bottomed out and failed to shut the engine off in time to prevent my pump from locking up on sand... That was the incident that motivated me to develop the clutch, now the second I feel anything bump the hull I just go to idle to stop the pump. Works every time! I wouldn't ever run one of these boats again without a clutch, wouldn't even think about it. Not to mention it prevents the splines from stripping!

Mokai makes a cool boat.... If you want that cool boat to run the way you imagined, you need to make it PAINLESS!!!  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 05:50:52 AM »
Three boats and many, many miles.  No problems.  Hours and hours in the hottest conditions - no problem. Don't know or care about speed.  Boat feels as fast as before.  If I had to give up 5 RPM for the convenience and safety of the clutch, I would in a NY minute.  Clutch gives much better control over the boat and no more spline replacement. Lower idle speed and no load on motor at idle for cool down.  Best upgrade

Offline MAXTORQUE

• Cool Points: 14
  • Model Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 07:42:23 AM »
Clutches do get hot in most applications but NOT when the only thing you are turning is an impeller. On a go kart,  mini-bike, or snowmobile they get hot because you are moving a lot of weight AND YOU HAVE TWO PEDALS--GAS AND BRAKE.  There is no brake on a Mokai accept the anchor and that will have no effect on the clutch getting hot because it cannot stop the turning of the impeller.  Tom is correct, most people don't take the time to understand how a clutch works and or they don't ask the questions to get a free education.  Tom spec out the clutch so it would be problem free with no maintenance required. That clutch needs no lubrication EVER.  If you get it wet, so what.  As I tell a racer the best thing for a clutch is rust -it improves the coefficient of friction and the clutch will even grab better until it cleans itself up from the rust on the inside where the shoes make contact with the drum.

What if the spring broke?  If that were to happen then you got the same thing Mokai sells -direct drive and all you would need is a new spring not a new clutch.  How long will a spring last-- I just replaced one in a clutch sold in 1987 that the guy sent me because he was on his third engine on a go kart and he just wanted to show me a clutch that had lasted 27 years.  The clutch is quality made in the USA on a design that has been around since 1972. It is the most popular clutch around and copied by 6 china companies because they have been asked to copy it by Americans that already know it is the best.  China boys don't copy things on their own they are told to copy a proven product that sells.  Max-Torque has been around since 1957 and we were very happy to work with Tom on coming up with a designed that he wanted so it would be PAINLESS. Tom's company name go back prior to his Mokai days and he likes everything to be painless and well thought out.

At least once a day I come to his site to find out what is happening on the water though out the United States.  Keep up the good work Tom.

Jim 

Offline Hersh

• Cool Points: 8
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 07:53:45 AM »
 I agree, what everybody else said.

Hersh

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »
I appreciate that guys, ya'll are awesome. I knew I could count on you, Jim, to add your expert knowledge, thanks again for everything. \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 17
  • Engine: RS
  • Model Year: 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 06:22:01 PM »
I never paid attention to this thread but one must technically admire Mokai for the truthfulness of their statement;
1. By now they tried the clutch and all things being equal ( no clutch vs clutch):
2. The few added ounces increases mass thus more heat. Barely.
3. The ounces will reduce top speed, ask NASCAR
4. Ship your boat to them for repairs with an installed clutch & retain an attorney.  :'(  :P

Offline Ripcord

• Cool Points: 6
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 07:03:50 AM »
I would NOT own a Mokai without a clutch. I would just to without.
"Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat."

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »
I never paid attention to this thread but one must technically admire Mokai for the truthfulness of their statement;
1. By now they tried the clutch and all things being equal ( no clutch vs clutch):
2. The few added ounces increases mass thus more heat. Barely.
3. The ounces will reduce top speed, ask NASCAR
4. Ship your boat to them for repairs with an installed clutch & retain an attorney.  :'(  :P

I have tried no clutch vs clutch and found zero difference in performance. A few people have offered to send Mokai one of my clutches, but Rick adamantly refused. Said he wanted nothing to do with it.. So No, they have not tried my clutch. Any experience they have had with a clutch was in the beginning when they had tried coming up with one and failed.

Needing an attorney for repairs might not be far fetched, if they try to void a warranty without legitimate cause.

I would NOT own a Mokai without a clutch. I would just to without.

Me either!
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline bravodelta

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 6
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 08:56:21 PM »
The first Painless upgrade I put on my boat even before it went on it's maiden voyage... So I don't know what it's like to be in the water without a Painless Clutch... Definitely a MUST on any boat!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...
Bravodelta