$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; I will not be a victim of CRACK! (Update - Still Cracked....)

Author Topic: I will not be a victim of CRACK! (Update - Still Cracked....)  (Read 17767 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 62
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: I will not be a victim of CRACK! (Update - Still Cracked....)
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
Cracks on the top of the hull where the flotation tank can be persistent depending on the boat. Some tanks fit better and didn't put as much pressure as others. I've seen some that slid in and out easily, and some you had to beat in. The tighter the fit, the highly the likelihood of cracks. Keep chasing them and hopefully one day you've relieved enough stress that no more will form.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 54
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2017, 08:46:06 PM »
Cracks on the top of the hull where the flotation tank can be persistent depending on the boat. Some tanks fit better and didn't put as much pressure as others. I've seen some that slid in and out easily, and some you had to beat in. The tighter the fit, the highly the likelihood of cracks. Keep chasing them and hopefully one day you've relieved enough stress that no more will form.

Just glad your repairs are still working great. Like you said, at least the cracks are above the waterline and repairing them is a fairly simple process.  \./8
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Larry

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 24
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2007/2007
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2017, 09:04:16 PM »
Tom ... The cracks on top of the hull is that something that happens to all model years ?l

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2017, 09:24:39 PM »
Tom ... The cracks on top of the hull is that something that happens to all model years ?l

Yours is ok, just the New Hull's are prone to cracks. Even at this point, not something that worries me, its plastic and can be fixed.  \./8
 Each model seems to have issues, from the servo's on the EsKapes and pumps being exposed. A few cracks now and again does not seem to be that big of a deal, cheap fix too.
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:55 PM »

All the one piece models with the plastic flotation tank behind the seat have the potential for cracks on top behind the cockpit, but not all of them will. If you notice a prominent bump where the flotation tank is, expect a crack there eventually. If it's flat with no bump, probably will never happen.

Yours is ok, just the New Hull's are prone to cracks. Even at this point, not something that worries me, its plastic and can be fixed.  \./8
 Each model seems to have issues, from the servo's on the EsKapes and pumps being exposed. A few cracks now and again does not seem to be that big of a deal, cheap fix too.

See my first reply ^. That only applies to the pump and jet intake tunnel area with regards to the new hull 2008-2012's.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »
All the one piece models with the plastic flotation tank behind the seat have the potential for cracks on top behind the cockpit, but not all of them will. If you notice a prominent bump where the flotation tank is, expect a crack there eventually. If it's flat with no bump, probably will never happen.

See my first reply ^. That only applies to the pump and jet intake tunnel area with regards to the new hull 2008-2012's.

Sorry, I misunderstood past threads, I stand corrected.  :-[
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Drenthe

• Cool Points: 5
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2018, 10:28:42 AM »
Do you have a template for the metal reinforcement of the back of the 2007?
Thinking I saw if offered for $10 but canít find it now.
Would like to get a head start on it while waiting for the kayaks to get here.
Have a friend who will do it in stainless steel.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2018, 01:18:39 PM »
Do you have a template for the metal reinforcement of the back of the 2007?
Thinking I saw if offered for $10 but canít find it now.
Would like to get a head start on it while waiting for the kayaks to get here.
Have a friend who will do it in stainless steel.

You can Paypal me the $10 at tom692@comcast.net. Be sure to include your mailing address.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Drenthe

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2018, 01:39:53 PM »
Sent by PayPal. You will be hearing much more from me. Thanks Tom

Offline Drenthe

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2018, 10:12:28 AM »
What did you use to anchor the bolts that went into the side of the plate?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2018, 11:26:39 PM »
Sorry for the delay in replying, didn't see your question until now. I used 10-32 9/16 button head hex drive screws and nyloc nuts, both 18-8 stainless.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Bob38

• Cool Points: 3
  • Engine: Subaru EX21
  • Model Year: 2-2008
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2019, 09:46:10 PM »
Just spit-balling here but it seems to me and let me get this straight I'm not a structural engineer, but I think one of the causes of these cracks could be the constant force of the pump ring bolts. When turning the Mokai one side of the pump housing has greater stress on one side than the other. Then of course when turning the other direction stress is less than the other side. This constant variability of stress takes its toll of the hull and cracks form. Cost-saving changes to the design also play a big part. Toms fix should do the trick. I myself am going to add the plate and possibly add some more stability closer to the jet nozzle to alleviate some of this stress.  I will be picking up a 2012 model with very little run-time (so they have told me)in a week so. I'll post my results.

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2019, 10:07:23 PM »
Just spit-balling here but it seems to me and let me get this straight I'm not a structural engineer, but I think one of the causes of these cracks could be the constant force of the pump ring bolts. When turning the Mokai one side of the pump housing has greater stress on one side than the other. Then of course when turning the other direction stress is less than the other side. This constant variability of stress takes its toll of the hull and cracks form. Cost-saving changes to the design also play a big part. Toms fix should do the trick. I myself am going to add the plate and possibly add some more stability closer to the jet nozzle to alleviate some of this stress.  I will be picking up a 2012 model with very little run-time (so they have told me)in a week so. I'll post my results.

Thanks for the post. My boats were the subjects in the video. Probably have about 100 hours of time on them since Tom added the plates, no more cracks on either boat to date. We've had a few small cracks between the cockpit and engine compartment that I fixed using wire mesh. Also, I had a few on top of the hull braces, mainly my fault for putting all my weight on them when getting out of the boat. I have since changed that practice. Can't wait until you get your Mokai and hope you share some pics with us.
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2019, 10:22:08 PM »

Hey Bob, this has nothing to do with side to side forces. The previous hull had an aluminum casting that bolted in from underneath that was the grate mount, lower section of the intake tunnel, and pump mount/wear ring housing. This solid chunk tied the whole area together making it structurally sound. The 2008-2012 hull did away with that and made the intake tunnel all plastic with just a mounting ring molded into the transom to bolt on the wear ring housing/pump mount. The area under the pump is open with zero support. Any flex of the bottom of the hull was not transferred to that area and the intake tunnel became the hinge point. That is why things crack. This was determined a couple years ago and since I've developed my fix it hasn't recurred. Go back and read page two of this thread and copy what I did if you want long term results. 
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Bob38

• Cool Points: 3
  • Engine: Subaru EX21
  • Model Year: 2-2008
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2019, 11:29:56 AM »
Fantastic! Tom. I will be adding the plate to the one I'm getting since its a 2012 to head off any damage. Since I don't have the Mokai yet it's hard to determine where support is needed. Thanks for the above diagram it puts everything in perspective and sorry if I missed it if you posted it before. I will be sending you an order for a few things in a week or two after I asses what I need/want. I do need the pattern for the plate. What is the best way to pay you for that? I did see where you added support from underneath. Good job and thanks again.