$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; For Those Who Consider Installing Their Own Auto Bilge............

Author Topic: For Those Who Consider Installing Their Own Auto Bilge............  (Read 1206 times)

Offline ardster

• Cool Points: 7
  • Model Year: 2014
For Those Who Consider Installing Their Own Auto Bilge............
« on: September 23, 2014, 05:08:03 PM »
I live in Alaska and often times you must do for yourself and I'm OK with that. However there are some things that are just not something you should try on an earn while you learn basis.

Because of a time constraint, and being basically cheap I decided that the fastest way to get the Auto Bilge system working in a new boat was to DIY. Bad choice; I have a couple more fishermen coming yet this season (did I say that I'm a fishing guide) and that is where the time issue came in. I figured that I did not have time to ship the pump housing to Tom and have it back in time for a 3 day trip beginning the 27th of September. In reality I could have paid FedX to get the pump there and back and had Tom get this thing right but hind sight is 20/20 as they say.

So what happened you may be wondering? I went to town and bought the best drill bits that are available as well as the proper tap so I could install the fitting into the pump housing. When I tried drilling the 1/8" pilot hole the bit stopped cutting about an inch and 1/4 into the housing. Of course I should have stopped and went to buy at least 2 more bits but noooo. That would have been way too easy, instead I simply did what we do when a drill bit is dull, I applied more pressure. This resulted in 2 things happening; first the bit began to go off course and second it became so hot that it got stuck. When I say stuck I mean literally welded in the hole I was attempting to drill. No problem, just reverse the drill and back it out right? No, not today, the bit snapped off flush with the top of the housing.

What to do now? Well you call Tom and admit that the one man parade that you were to officiate has went all wrong. What did Tom say? He said that he can fix it that's what. So now when the next 2 weeks have passed and I will not need 2 mokai's for trips I will send the housing like I should have in the first place. When Tom sends it back I'll have him include the clutch kit - the steering relocation kit and a new muffler in the box and I'll see if I can do those upgrades without making any major errors.

the moral of the story is this; the auto bilge is a beautiful addition to a Mokai, I have one boat with and one without and that's how I know. All the other upgrades seem like I may be able to do them but before you try to drill your own pump housing you better be sure of your abilities. I thought it seemed simple, it wasn't. now I'll let the Mokai Pro do what he does and I'll be so glad that he is there to do it.

Ard

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 63
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: For Those Who Consider Installing Their Own Auto Bilge............
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:47:30 AM »
No worries Ard, I'll get you fixed up and better than new.  ;)
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com