$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; '14 ES-Kape Pictures

Author Topic: '14 ES-Kape Pictures  (Read 17216 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: '14 ES-Kape
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »
That is the steering actuator/servo assembly, remember this is drive by wire now. The muffler looks to be the same, just routed differently now. Still waiting to see if it's in the way of the clutch being installed, have been expecting that. Looking forward to more people taking delivery, and hearing from the ones who will get numbers for us to chew on. Still curious why they left the vent holes open instead cowl type shape to keep waves and rain out, easy enough to modify for those who wish I guess.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 17
  • Engine: RS
  • Model Year: 2008
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 08:15:37 PM »
Got it on "fly by wire" and suppose the nest way to protect it is the location. Hot to dry and dry, relatively speaking. Don't own a late subie oem so can't say if the muffler is the same can or not. I extropolite from photos, some of them Houdini. I doubt the meanness of blocking a clutch install by tailpipe routing?

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »
If by cowl your speaking of the compartment cover I figure the outside, normally fore to aft flowing "clean" air sucks the compartment "dirty" air out and a protective hood, rear facing scoop, cowl, whatever, would not facilitate the effort. Maybe the two vents don't shear the flow but aid in pulling it up and out. Wouldn't a verticle partition, something like the one in one photo be required to push hot air up and out of the compartment, positioned nearly immediately behind the engine to accomplish more air flow thru the compartment?

Then is the transom port for the tail pipe. I know for sure if the opening is small but large enough, air flow will cool the pipe and not melt the plastic as the heat exits.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 02:01:06 PM »
The flywheel fan is pumping air out those vent holes, nothing is sucking the air out and the boat can't go fast enough for that to even happen anyhow. A rearward facing cowl serves to keep water and debris out, and directing noise to the rear. Having vent holes and exhaust ports wide open to the elements has always seemed like a half baked design to me, every other marine craft I've seen went out of their way to make sure everything was shrouded in some way.... My muffler cover has proven the idea works much better.

Nothing will melt with the engine running, I would like to see somebody do 30 miles non stop at full throttle then beach it on a sandbar and shut it down. I think the hull could soften enough to shift during the summer, but that's just speculation based on what I've played with coming up with my exhaust.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverman

• Cool Points: 19
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 02:58:59 PM »
I had an idea;
Tom spends a whole lot of time answering all questions asked, and a whole lot of time testing his boat on the water, then a whole lot of time en-visioning problems and their fixes, and then a whole lot of time manufacturing parts to fix the problems.
Now there is a new boat out and despite what Mokai says undoubtedly will have a whole new series of problems to be worked out. (ie pump guard just to name one)

So I got to thinking; If the total number of members is 422 and every member donated $17.00  or half donated $35.00 or 50  donated $150.00 (or what ever you get the point) we could purchase one of these new boats to donate to Tom so he could have a way of actually testing these things and if necessary coming up with  fixes then manufacturing the parts to  sell to us at fair market value.

Just a thought

I'm good for $150.00 

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 04:34:21 PM »
Sounds excellent river man, soon as Tom receives/reports and logs your seed donation, pm the rest of us. As regards to the painless prior post, I agree on all points. The only reason I can see for the lack of cowling is aesthetic appeal. That has enormous logic in the merchandising department.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:36:02 PM by Odie »

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »
Very flattered, riverman. I greatly appreciate your faith in my abilities, and am happy I've been such a big help to so many people. The only hiccup I see with your suggestion is the fact that Mokai would refuse to sell a boat to me, or anyone who intended on relaying it to me. So while the gesture works on paper, the factory would hold a match to that paper and the idea goes up in smoke. ::) Somebody will bring one by for me to check out one day, I'll just have to be patient.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 06:33:39 PM »
 ;)

Offline riverman

• Cool Points: 19
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 07:10:48 PM »
Details, details;
We send you  money, you get a Friend to buy it...done!

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 07:24:12 PM »
Ha! Always in the details.  \./8

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 09:51:08 PM »
Well then, if it's that easy then my birthday is next month! LOL  :))  I know the first thing I would do with one would be to drop it in the water and stretch it out with the GPS to see how close to that claimed 20 mph it gets! They did make some much needed improvements in the motor mounting area, and the cold air intake was much needed as well. Can't wait to hear more about it, somebody is bound to take delivery soon that will be more enthusiastic with the info.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 22
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
Re: '14 ES-Kape Pictures
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 12:11:01 PM »
Tom,  I had a conversation yesterday with Louis. I asked for more information on their anchoring system as well a few question from the pictures I've seen.  I was really trying to get delivery info on my boat, I know I am near the front of the list but Marie was not there and he did not have that information.  The anxiety is building. >:(    Once I get the call I will have to travel about 700 miles round trip to pick it up because of my situation.
I was sorry to hear afishaday left the forum.  I've had numerous conversations with him off forum.  A nice guy.  Unfortunately people are as different as the flavors of ice cream, sometime they blend together and sometimes they don't.  The spice of life. I will continue to communicate with him after I get my boat as well as with the forum.
I asked Louis about speed trials with the boat.  He said Rick (which he said is about 160#, I don't know anybody who is that light in the as-) got 20 to 22, of course that's without any gear in the boat and I don't know any of the other variables around the voyage.  Louis said he got (who is a little heaver) 18 to 20.
That's enough for now, I have customers to visit.
How many of the forum members have a boat on order?  Why don't we do a tally!

John

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 02:55:29 PM »
I agree, it is a shame to see anyone go. Maybe he'll have a change of heart and come back some day.

Thanks for the insight on the speed testing, I'm not holding my breath on the claims though. Gotta' see it to believe it here! lol If they really did get 20+ mph out of it, I'd really be interested in hearing how they managed it by using the same motor and pump with a heavier overall weight (I'm assuming the pump is the same since they have to continue support for the past model pumps, and guessing at the weight). Really looking forward to seeing a video of somebody holding a GPS. I think real world testing is going to show 15-17 mph on average, that's my bet anyhow.

I'd also like to know how many members are waiting, maybe a poll will help with that.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 03:32:36 PM »
My apologies to fishaday for any offensive statements I made. I see pics one day then again not the next, wait a couple and new ones to ponder! The exhaust is what I deduced from other photos. That system along with the rest of the engine system illustrates detailed and knowledgeable insight to dial the rs into its unique operating environment. Kudos to Mokai for the effort and afishaday for sharing.

Like Tom, looking forward to the numbers, waiting to see how the hull is working with strakes manufactured in.

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »
May we see the engine cover again? Under the hood, specifically the exhaust, I see DEI type wrap, long header, likewise the tail pipe. All together and working correctly the exh.system should exploit the rs torque advantage. The larger pipe diameter if that's what I see, will lower "noise" at a slight penalty to torque. Only guessing tho. Muffler can shrouded.

Carb intake "noise" definitely lowered by new design.

I wonder if the engine mount "bullet" pins strengthen and significantly assist in mounting the engine?

Frankly, more than intrigued by the servo operation.