$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Finally put an anchor on my 2011

Author Topic: Finally put an anchor on my 2011  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Finally put an anchor on my 2011
« on: May 27, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »
After making an anchor system for the 2003, I decided I wanted one for my 2011. I have two anchors on my Jet Jon, bow and stern, and used the Worth Anchormate. I decided to finally get another one to use on my Mokai, works really REALLY well! Perfect for these boats. I just had to make a new "handle" from 3/4 1/16 steel and welded a tab to install the pulley. The anchor I had made for my 2003, it's just a welding bottle cap filled metal and weighs 10 lbs.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO3s8QPh3a8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO3s8QPh3a8</a>
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 12
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
Re: Finally put an anchor on my 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:20:02 PM »
Where have I seen this before? LOL's. I agree this anchor works quite well on the Mokai. Reminds me I need to paint my "handle". It's a great design, and commend you on your ingenuity.
Best,
Troy

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:43:36 AM »
This must be the best bow anchor system.  Simple and easy.  But I also like to anchor from the stern.  Have used a trolley anchor but it is complex for guests to use.  Any ideas?

Troy, is your "handle" made of aluminum?  No problem with strength?

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »
This must be the best bow anchor system.  Simple and easy.  But I also like to anchor from the stern.  Have used a trolley anchor but it is complex for guests to use.  Any ideas?

Troy, is your "handle" made of aluminum?  No problem with strength?

Yes, the handle is made from thin aluminum, and no it's not a problem to handle only 10 pounds. Due to its shape/design, it's almost like a bridge support, where most of the stress is distributed to the anchor points. Personally I think Mckai should've went with metal for the front straps anyway. I also have an aluminum plate in the center with a stainless steel eye I use for the winch and bow line. And just to give credit where credit is due, the strap idea is another painless invention. My comment above was kind meant as an inside joke, as Tom and I discussed an anchor system in personal e-mails, exchanged photos, etc.

I still think the trolley system is probably one of the best if you need the anchor in another place without reinventing the wheel. Personally I like seeing what's coming at me, like a tree floating in the water, and definitely not unheard of in the river I boat in at least. With a variety of pulley's I'm sure you could relocate the anchor to the stern though, but anchor line around the pump would concern me. You almost have to extend a support out from the rear of the boat to avoid snags and get the anchor out of the way of the jet stream. Extra weight in the rear is not the place for it either. Personally I'm always trying to get the nose down, so extra weight upfront is a plus. I still think the trolley system is the best compromise, and very simple to construct.

The beauty of this anchor is there are no lines to get tangled, and the anchor itself has a clutch so you can stop anywhere you want and rest when retrieving. Very handy if you drop the anchor 30 feet. Another nice plus is the handle doesn't go spinning on you when you drop anchor.

Best,
Troy

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 04:56:22 PM »
Thanks, George. It's a simple method for a stationary system, never had any luck with trolleys back in the kayak days so don't have anything to offer there.

One thing I forgot to mention, is the need for a guide pulley in front of the reel. Without it, the line will end up under/behind the reel as there is nothing to make it travel back to center. So make sure you get one, Troy, it is very necessary. I got mine from Lowe's.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLjO_LaKor0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLjO_LaKor0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJuhFoSPcYs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJuhFoSPcYs</a>
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 05:33:02 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I was just using my left index finger to guide the line, and seemed to work. I kind of like space there to rest my elbow. The only thing I don't like so far is this thin paracord, as it works just like  really thin lb test works on a bait casting reel, namely it digs into itself and does not spool easily. I need to get it changed out, but have not been using the anchor lately. Are you using a 3/8" line? I think just by switching over to a nylon braid it will solve the problem. Mine is just quarter-inch.
Best,
Troy

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:06:46 PM »
I'm using 1/4 nylon line, 50 ft. That paracord (5/50 cord) is only 1/8" at best if I'm not mistaken, I know my line is thicker than yours from comparing pics. It doesn't get hung up when released, anchor deploys quickly and easily. You use your finger if you want to, let me know how the rope burn feels after you need to crank that line in fast! LOL  :-[  I positioned everything not to get in the way of my arm when sitting how I normally sit, pulley and crank are both out of range with room to spare. Put the pulley on, you'll thank me later.  ;)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 06:29:06 PM »
I'm using 1/4 nylon line, 50 ft. That paracord (5/50 cord) is only 1/8" at best if I'm not mistaken, I know my line is thicker than yours from comparing pics. It doesn't get hung up when released, anchor deploys quickly and easily. You use your finger if you want to, let me know how the rope burn feels after you need to crank that line in fast! LOL  :-[  I positioned everything not to get in the way of my arm when sitting how I normally sit, pulley and crank are both out of range with room to spare. Put the pulley on, you'll thank me later.  ;)

Thanks for the suggestion Tom. They call this paracord quarter-inch, but it's actual diameter is closer to 1/8". The river here is super shallow, maybe only 4 to 6 feet deep, but can appreciate what you're saying if I needed to reel in a bunch of line. As long as the pulley is out of the way, then sounds like a good idea to me. I would imagine the pulley helps to release the line as well.
Best,
Troy

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 08:53:28 PM »
Went out to play with my anchor today, and got some video. You'll notice I had to fix the rope halfway through cranking, this is what reminded me I needed the pulley like on the Jet Jon.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJuhFoSPcYs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJuhFoSPcYs</a>
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline SgtBadBob

• Cool Points: 3
  • NRA.org Spread the news
  • Engine: Kx-21
  • Model Year: Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 05:59:48 AM »
saw your video tom just had to say, you cast anchor about middle of the river.  Here in Washington state you had better be near the edge of the river or you may never hit bottom with that little cord. :))
Boeing over head crane operator [It has its ups and downs].
2015 Camo Eskape, Kx-21. ACR lightened con rod, Ceramic bearings in motor, Water cooled engine base, Port matched intake, Mini Tack, Electronic rpm limiter. Dragon Fly GPS sounder.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 08:09:09 AM »
Hahaha I hear ya' Bob. Right now the river average is around 10', deepest holes I've found were 35'.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Maritimer

• Cool Points: 7
  • Engine: Stock Subaru
  • Model Year: 2017
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »
Greetings,

I was very reticent to drill any holes in my new 2017 EsKape, especially in the bow module, which is sealed to provide flotation, but I've come around to not being so timid. I was going to simply attach a Scotty anchor lock to the front of the boat and tie the rope off at the footrest, but this seems much more elegant. I guess attaching anything will mean I can no longer nest the bow module in the cockpit, but is there any reason why the Anchormate would not be a good fit on the EsKape? Most of the rivers I'll be on under ten feet deep but the water is fast flowing.

I don't understand why you modified your handle and didn't just use the Anchormate bow section. Wouldn't that be easier? Also, would I need the pulley line guide on the EsKape? My Mokai is in the shed up at my cottage which is under five feet of snow, so I can't even look at it to figure out what would work best. You guys that get ten or twelve months use out of yours have it good!

Thanks for your opinions!

== Steve ==

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 11:40:38 PM »
If you need a simple retractable anchor system, this will get the job done. I could have used the Anchormate bow pulley guide, but it was just too big and clunky for my liking, and would require drilling more holes to mount not to mention more likely to hitting things in the areas I play in. I wanted a cleaner installation that used the factory handle fasteners, so making an anchor pulley bracket that looked like the fabric handle was the trick.

Unless you are putting both the stern and bow sections in the cockpit, adding something to the bow wouldn't keep you from putting it in upright at least.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Maritimer

• Cool Points: 7
  • Engine: Stock Subaru
  • Model Year: 2017
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 07:45:10 AM »
Thanks Tom. Much appreciated.

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »
Hey Steve,    go to anchorwizard.com and check out what they have to offer. \./8

John