$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; 1/4" skid plate

Author Topic: 1/4" skid plate  (Read 8684 times)

Offline 2mokaiman

• Global Moderator
  • Cool Points: 17
  • Engine: KX21
  • Model Year: 2 - 2012
1/4" skid plate
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:07:22 PM »
I have 2 2010 model mokais. They have the air box behind the seat as apposed to the earlier models that used black foam. This air box addition creates a problem that did not exist before. It pushes out the bottom of the boat creating a ridge which now becomes the lowest point of the bottom which means it is going to get hit first and often. Back in February I hit a rock that punctured that ridge. Rick Murrry sent me a small scrap piece of hull to weld and fix it. 2 weaks ago I did the same thing and this time the hole was bigger and more like a gash. This entire area was now very compressed, thin and very weak from repeated hits. I called mokai and Marie answered and I asked for Rick. She told me he was out for the week and would be back the following Monday. So I explained the situation to her and asked if Louis or Rick could make a skid plate out of aluminum or something to cover this area. She said no way they would do that and this was my problem and I was on my own. So not one to be easily deterred  I e-mailed Rick an sent him pictures asking for his help. A week later he e-mailed me back and said the best thing would be to go to a professional plastic welder. I e-mailed him back and told him I could not find any where I live. The next day he e-mailed a guys name and phone # and said he spoke with this guy and told me to call him and he would do the repair. Here this guy was only 25 mile from my home.He looked like a typical Amish man but was very knowledgeable about polyethylene and how to blend them together. The welder he used cost him $5,500. He used the term homogenized like when the spool of plastic was fed into the welder it is melted and spun in this chamber lining up the molecules so it will more readily join with the plastic of the boat. I'm not a chemist but this fusion of the the two plastics worked great. He told me 1/4"  thickness would be best for the application I was looking for and he didn't even charge me for the plastic and he did both boats. He told me up front he charges $40.00 per Hr. That in itself was a bargain. He only charged me $50.00 to do both boats. That was a bargain too.  I told him I wanted a skid plate so to speak to cover that raised area that was taking a beating and became weakened and very thin. So he told me to put my gloves on and press down on the plate while he welded since he is just a one man operation.The welder puts out hot air that is 650 degrees centigrade.  It was neat to watch that welder fuse the two together. Also just in case you were wondering looking at the one picture, I put those thin strips in where the ridges are on the bottom. That was before I knew about this guy otherwise I would have used him. I did that to see if I would pick up any speed and I did 2mph.I got brave after watching Tom's plastic welding video. This guy did a good job feathering the edges so there is a nice smooth transition from boat to the plate and back to the boat again. I took the one boat out today and hit rocks 3 times during my run. I checked when I got home and other than a couple of very light scratches it was in great shape and the weld held up perfectly. I will post pictures of before the plate and after. I e-mailed Rick and thanked him for taking the time to find this guy for me. So if you ever call up there and Marie gives you the brush off just e-mail Rick.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: 1/4" skid plate
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 05:14:30 PM »
Dude, that looks great.  :-\ You should be able to hit many rocks for years to come with that setup. Looks like that guy did a great job too, very neat.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline boulderslammer

• Cool Points: 0
  • Model Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:24:44 PM »
I have the same issue on my Green Mokai, any idea where he got the skid plate? Now I blasted the corner off my yellow one on a bolt in a beam under the water.  Wish I could figure out how to fix this one.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »
Ouch, that hurts!!  :-\    And Welcome to the forum!  ;D

You will need to look up a shop in your area that can weld polyethylene, they would also have the material needed for the repair. You might even be able to contact Mokai to see if they know of a company near you that they would recommend. 
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Engine: RS
  • Model Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »
Nice work Tim, by now you know why I've been out of the net so won't digress into why the belated response. I might see if I can find someone near willing to do the channel work. BTW, how's the new grate working out for you. Differences +/-?

Offline 2mokaiman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 12:43:20 AM »
Hi Odie, both plates have held up extremely well and I've had some pretty good hits on them. There was no difference in speed either when I checked with my Gps unit after the fix. The guy did a really good job of feathering the weld from the boat to the top part of the plate creating a nice smooth transition so it cuts through the water with no noticeable drag at all. The best thing is I have piece of mind when I'm out there not worrying when I go over some sharp rocks that it's going to puncture  through the hull at that critical spot because it's just to hard and thick. 

Offline Lord Icon

• Cool Points: -5
  • Engine: 5hp, 7 hp
  • Model Year: 2003,2012
Re: 1/4" skid plate; plastic welder
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »
I have recently joined the ranks of those that can plastic weld. My wife runs a doggy day care and grooming salon and wanted a new tub. I found a company that makes them out of HDPE . Looking at one at a trade show it looked simple to make. After doing much research I found many helpful youtube vids and purchased a welder from Harbor freight tools. Only cost me 55$ for the welder. The "welding rod " was $6 a lb. You can order it from many plastics suppliers, just be sure it is the same type of plastic. It took 2-3 feet of weld before I got the right heat and speed, but once you get the right numbers... it flys. Anyone need help in the NH area please call on me , I am happy to share my new skills.....
By the way, the tub, from www.polypettubs.com was $2700, I paid just under $700 for all the raw flat plastic sheets cut to size and the welder and rod. Still have at least 50-60 feet left....
kheikkila@myfairpoint.net

Offline dkwflight

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 05:58:07 PM »
Hi
New member here

Very nice repair job.
A bit difficult to do out on the water tho.

I would recommend some experimentation with some duct tape. It would have to be applied  dry.
Another tape that might work to get you home is aluminum duct tape.
The type that air conditioning guys use to stick duct together. I know it sticks very well to clean aluminum when rubbed down with a plastic scraper. Th scraper is used at a 45 degree angle to the tape and it concentrates the force so the adhesive gets in complete contact .
It also would have to be applied dry. Turning the boat over so the sun could do the job, a dry rag would help some, Maybe some alcohol might help too.

Exciting looking boats, I wish I had one
Dennis
Dennis

Offline mattyf19

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:04:15 PM »
2mokaiman -how durable r the boats prior to the skid plate? I am from marietta and as you know our susquehanna has some pretty wild ledges,bolder,rocks,just waiting to rip something open!  I have a normal kayak now but am interested in getting on but i fish very shallow, in and around all that nasty rock. Are we talking one or two dings will crack it or a few years of abuse before it wears out and cracks.  Thanks

Offline 2mokaiman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 10:58:11 PM »
Hi Mattyf19, I wonder if you ever saw me at River Front Park. I put in there a lot. When the water level drops below 4ft. I really have to watch out for the rocks. To answer your question, if you hit  a sharp rock or anything sharp that is submerged and you hit it at full speed you can puncture the hull even if it's brand new. You stood a better chance of that not happening with the 2009 and older models when they didn't use the flotation box which didn't push out the bottom. Since I added that skid plate over that area I haven't had that problem and believe me I have taken some tremendous hits since I had that put out on. The other thing that has saved me from a lot of grief is having Tom's clutch. I would haved striped out several splined shafts by now with the hits I have taken.Tom's lovejoy connection in the cage absorbs all of that. So if your going to get a mokai and go in the Susquehanna where we go your going to have to get Tom's clutch.

Offline BarnieM

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 5
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2004
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 08:19:07 PM »
Hi Mattyf19, I wonder if you ever saw me at River Front Park. I put in there a lot. When the water level drops below 4ft. I really have to watch out for the rocks. To answer your question, if you hit  a sharp rock or anything sharp that is submerged and you hit it at full speed you can puncture the hull even if it's brand new. You stood a better chance of that not happening with the 2009 and older models when they didn't use the flotation box which didn't push out the bottom. Since I added that skid plate over that area I haven't had that problem and believe me I have taken some tremendous hits since I had that put out on. The other thing that has saved me from a lot of grief is having Tom's clutch. I would haved striped out several splined shafts by now with the hits I have taken.Tom's lovejoy connection in the cage absorbs all of that. So if your going to get a mokai and go in the Susquehanna where we go your going to have to get Tom's clutch.

Could you post some pics as to where you put your skid plate???  Thanks

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 08:21:14 PM »
Barnie, this post is about his skid plate and the pictures posted above show that.  ;)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 09:39:56 AM »
While I had my hull up for crack repair, I had a chance to take picture of my skid plate after a year of use.  It's holding up great and no leaks.  I don't notice any additional drag.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 05:24:41 PM »
That looks tough, definitely needed on your river!  ;D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: GC190
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 06:26:20 AM »
Hillbilly's skid plate looks really tough and seems well feathered. I also have an obvious marks in that area push down by the floatation as you guys have had concluded. I will show this picture from hillbilly to one of the welder here at NC and see how much theyll charge me.. This longer skid plate might provide additional engine support on transport.

Q are
1. where to buy that plastic ?
2. Did you put any adhesive between the hull and skid plate.? I think the welding was only done around the plate looking at the picture. If so, what adhesive?
3. How long did it take to weld that?
4. Did you do this yourself? Any video thst inspired you to tackle the work yourself?
5. What are those 6 circles?

Thank you
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:34:31 AM by mokamo »