$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Steering stick relocation

Author Topic: Steering stick relocation  (Read 2532 times)

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 45
  • Engine: EX21 W/EX17 Head
  • Model Year: 2010
Steering stick relocation
« on: June 06, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »
Using an idea from the Voyager, I modified my steering control to the vertical arrangement in order to gain a little room without cutting a hole in the gunwale.  To do this, I fabricated a new steering lever from aluminum tubing and machined fittings.

Since I haul my Mokai on a flatbed trailer with my pontoon boat on a rack above it, I need to be able to clear the deck, so to speak, when unloading and loading.  I added a snap pin that enables the release of the lever so it rotates down out of the way.  Also when the stick is rotated down, it provides quite a bit more room to get my 6', 210 lb body in the cockpit.

If I've done things correctly there should be three photos attached.

Offline BarnieM

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 5
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2004
Re: Steering stick relocation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:38:31 PM »
Good deal.........great work.

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 09:54:56 AM »
Nice work, Bizler.  Especially the way you fold the lever down.  How is the steering effort with this setup?

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »
It does require a little more effort than the longer lever standard version.  And it takes a little getting accoustomed to the change grip from horizontal but it does provide better access to the cockpit, which was my goal.  Thanks.

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 11:03:41 PM »
I have admired Tomís steering stick relocation since he introduced it and made it available in his store but I have this aversion to cutting a hole in the gunwale that has kept me from adding it to my boat. I had modified my stick to provide some of the benefits of the vertical attitude but mine didnít have the mechanical advantage of Tomís. At the time that I did mine, I was hauling my pontoon boat on a rack above my Mokai and the vertical stick interfered with loading and unloading, so I made it so it could be pivoted down out of the way.  I also prefer to have the stick behind the windshield because it protects my hand from spray and cold air in the winter. 

I purchased one of the new cables that Tom has just added to his store with the idea that it could help reduce the steering effort.  Well, this inspired me to see what I could do to improve my system and maintain my objectives, no slot in the gunwale, minimal new holes in the hull, stick behind the windshield and pivoting handle so the cockpit cover would still work. So here is what I have come up with. I do not intend to build additional units.

I have not yet installed the new cable because I wanted to see how it all worked first.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 11:15:06 PM »
That's pretty slick, Bill. Nice job! I would highly recommend two things, first being a piece of 16g sheet metal under the deck between the hull and the hull brace. Surprised your hull hasn't cracked there yet, that is a high pressure area with such a small brace rod diameter. Second being the new cable, I think you're really going to notice a big difference with it!  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: GC190
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 07:45:30 AM »
Wish you're my neighbor.
looking forward to your review of Tom's new cable.
 \./8

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 10:55:18 AM »
That's pretty slick, Bill. Nice job! I would highly recommend two things, first being a piece of 16g sheet metal under the deck between the hull and the hull brace. Surprised your hull hasn't cracked there yet, that is a high pressure area with such a small brace rod diameter. Second being the new cable, I think you're really going to notice a big difference with it!  \./8

Thanks for the tip on the hull brace reinforcement. I think I will add a large diameter fender washer on each side.

I am planning on adding a few lightening holes to the backing plates when I take it off to paint it. Then I will incorporate the new cable when I put the unit back in place.

Offline Larry

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 22
  • Engine: Honda GC190
  • Model Year: 2007/2007
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 12:33:13 PM »
Great work Bill !!!