$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Auto Bilge Pump

Author Topic: Auto Bilge Pump  (Read 27103 times)

Offline Californiamokai

• Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: RS SP-210 w/17 ES
  • Model Year: 2006
Re: Auto Bilge Pump
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
Tom,

What is your best estimate of gpm with the latest bilge?  In chop, taking water into cockpit or while anchored to stern going into new muffler cover opening.  Standing water up  to top of engine hold down plate that could be safety issue and does impact performance.  Long runs do not appear to drain off.  Can find no apparent blockage.  Any ideas on how to check bilge further or should a skirt be retroffited block  below muffler opening?  Any feedback appreciated, John

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 09:43:40 PM »
Is there a brass tube on the inside of your bilge port on the pump? It should pump approx 1 gpm at full throttle.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Californiamokai

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 02:23:59 AM »
Mine has a brass fitting......John

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 09:04:49 AM »
Reach in from the nozzle, and see if the tube feels loose. Unscrew the fitting, pop the tube out and use silicone to glue it back in the hole, then reinstall the fitting making sure no silicone is in the passage. Let cure. Should solve your problem.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »
During my last long trip, I noticed that the bilge pump wasn't working effectively.  High waves and muddy water put a lot of muck in the boat.  I cleaned my strainer and it helped a little, but not great.  Today I was looking in the boat and noticed the plastic tube between the strainer and pump was nearly filled with sand and dirt down low where it made the turn upward from the strainer.  Took the tube off and blew it clean.  I'll bet that was the problem.  The bilge pump is such a great addition to these boats.  If yours stops working, check the tube.

Offline bravodelta

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 6
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 12:39:27 AM »
The Auto Bilge Pump is a necessity.... All boats should have one of these..... It's on my Wish List for the near future. A Winter project for after the holidays....

Bob
Bravodelta

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 08:05:03 AM »
During my last long trip, I noticed that the bilge pump wasn't working effectively.  High waves and muddy water put a lot of muck in the boat.  I cleaned my strainer and it helped a little, but not great.  Today I was looking in the boat and noticed the plastic tube between the strainer and pump was nearly filled with sand and dirt down low where it made the turn upward from the strainer.  Took the tube off and blew it clean.  I'll bet that was the problem.  The bilge pump is such a great addition to these boats.  If yours stops working, check the tube.

Thanks for the insight. Another way of clearing that without the need to take anything apart is to use a garden hose to shoot water through the line from the hull connector.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 08:06:35 AM »
The Auto Bilge Pump is a necessity.... All boats should have one of these..... It's on my Wish List for the near future. A Winter project for after the holidays....

Bob

Just let me know when your ready.  :)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline bravodelta

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 6
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »

Bob

Just let me know when your ready.  :)

Will be after the holidays sometime..... Thanks Tom...

Bob
Bravodelta

Offline Californiamokai

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »
The comment on flushing with garden hose makes good sense.  I moved my strainer more forward to more easily pull tube end up and out of engine compartment during this maintenance flushing.

I have noticed that a debris plug typically develops at the quick disconnect adapter fitting. There are plastic flukes on the inside of this adapter that do narrow the clear passsage.  Anyone drill these out for they do not appear to impact quick disconnect feature?

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 09:49:54 AM »
Tom's auto bilge pump is one of his best improvements IMHO.

While cleaning boats for the new season, I was reminded of the fine mud lining the vinyl tubing that collected over last season's fishing and travels.  At one time, one auto bilge stopped working because of fine mud in line.  I just replaced all my vinyl tubing.  Three boats, four dollars, ten minutes.  Will work like new again.

Also saw some polyethylene tubing at the hardware store.  It is semi-opaque and stiffer than the vinyl.  Anyone think it would work better than the vinyl?  It does cost a penny a foot more.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 12:51:14 PM »
Thanks, George. I would think that flushing the line would be all that was needed, was there so much build up that it clogged it shut? If you wanted a tubing that would perform better, then silicone would the ticket. It's much softer, and could be worked with your fingers to break up any build up while flushing. The only reason I didn't use it for these kits, is it's $2 per ft price. That is what you would find on any jet ski that has a venturi style bilge. I haven't had to touch either of my boats though, tubing is stained with mud, but always carries the water out fine. Right where the tubing goes into the strainer, I purposely set it up so the hole narrows in an effort to prevent anything being able to lodge itself past that point.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 01:46:27 PM »
It actually was clogged with fine mud.  Cleared it out with water during the trip and was OK.  Lots stuck to the inside of the tubing so I just changed it. 

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2014, 03:02:58 PM »
Silicone would work much better for you then.  ;D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 46
  • Engine: EX21 W/EX17 Head
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »
After I installed my auto bilge pump, I noticed that I was collecting water, perhaps a cup full or so, at the end of a cruise that I had not had before.  I usually had only the amount that I carried in on my boots. It occurred to me that maybe at low speeds, the outlet might become an inlet for a short time.  The auto bilge would then draw out most of the water but some would always remain.  So, after some thought, and looking for a commercially-made one-way valve, unsuccessfully, I decided to build one myself.

I took a section of 5/8" dia.  nylon 1 3/4" long and drilled a 3/8" hole through it and tapped both ends with 1/8" pipe threads.  I purchased two brass 1/8" X 1/4" barb fittings.  In one of them inserted a 7/8" section of 1/4" tubing and soldered it in.  Then I used my mill to cut three 1/4" flats on the tubing, creating three windows through which the water enters.  I had to scrounge a bit to find a floating bead the is about 5/16" in diameter and relatively round and smooth.  I had some fishing beads called "corkies" that were pretty close.  I filled the through hole in the bead with Gorilla Glue and made it as round as I could with a little sanding.

Then I assembled the two fittings with the bead in the nylon tube, and walla,,,  A one-way valve was created.

I cut the vinyl tubing between the panel mount fitting and the high point in the line and installed the valve.

I ran Mokai about 25 miles today at various speeds for about 4 1/2 hours.  When I got home, I wiped up the residual water with one paper towel.  I like the valve...