$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Auto Bilge Pump

Author Topic: Auto Bilge Pump  (Read 26336 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
Re: Auto Bilge Pump
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »
Tom,

I'm starting to install mine.  Your video test shows very good flow through a longer 1/4" tube than we will need in the boat, even with the loop.  I see two possible restrictions.  One is the quick release connector.  The inside diameter of mine is 3/32" - pretty small.  The other possibility in your setup is the 1/4" tubing sliding deep into your pickup foot and sealing or restricting against the hull floor.  I'm placing  a brass nipple fitting on my pickup foot - held at a set height by a nut and washers. 

I really think the restriction is in the connector. 

We can check this by running our 1/4" tubing up over the transom and down to the foot. I may use 5/16" fuel hose. The thin wall plastic tubing may heat up in the engine bay, get soft, and collapse under suction on a multi hour run.  It will be a few days until I get out.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 06:09:46 PM »
Decided to gut the quick disconnect of it's shut off valves so it's a free flowing piece with no restrictions, and sure enough that was my problem, the shut off valving was too restrictive. Everything set up exactly like my previous pictures show, with the modified valve, sucks the water right out of the hull. It works great, the loop above the water line keeps water from flowing back in when idling so even if you forgot to hook up the pump connector your hull wouldn't flood as a result. If you somehow managed to take on a couple gallons of water instantly, it would take some time for it to catch up but it will get the job done. I think it would keep up with the average amount of water that could typically be splashed in without problem. I plan on changing to a larger screen type strainer pickup as opposed to the black plastic deal from the pictures. The tubing should be as close to the hull without being able to develop a clog or restriction, mine is about 1/8th inch from the bottom right now and once the connector was opened up it worked great, I just think a screen strainer would allow it to work faster with less chance of clogging up.

Gutting the quick disconnect was as simple as using a long locating dowel punch to tap from the barbed end out, breaking the valve free and letting it fall out with it's spring. Just be careful not to damage the female side where the o-ring seats!

I dumped in a little over a half gallon, so you have some point of reference on how fast it's working.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCiQA1z4xz4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCiQA1z4xz4</a>
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 07:48:15 AM »
Tom

We are thinking along the same lines but as usual, you are way ahead.  When about to install the pickup foot, yesterday, I had an idea that will "get it as far back as possible" and also be removable to unclog as necessary.  Made from 3/8" fuel hose scrap and a few pieces from a parts drawer.  It is 6" long and fits at the very rear, with 1/2" inlet centered behind pump.  If you think it's clogged, just pull it out and check, clean it and slide it back in.  Could screen the pickup end, too.

Offline MokaiBueño

• Cool Points: 3
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 09:17:56 AM »
I noticed the fittings can be bought in valved and non-valved, suppose the non-valved would do the trick?  Will have to wait till next week to get started on installing the latest Painless Mokai improvement.  Really appreciate Tom and Hillbillies posts and work on this bilge project.  Water has been a serious issue at times for me, requiring a quick stop for hull draining.  Since the boat is sensitive to a few gallons of water resulting in performance issues I consider this one of the most important safety developments for the boat.  Clutches, pump improvements, alum wear rings, and now this improvement? What next, maybe a Turbo Charger?  Big thanks for the bilge posts.  By the way if anyone is interested in big improvements to their Mokai operation, get a Painless clutch and Painless Alum wear ring TODAY! 100% Quality, 200% Functional  :)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »
Thanks MokaiBueño  :) Glad I can help make such good contributions to the Mokai world!

If you can find non-valved quick disconnects then that would make things that much easier for everyone.
Going out today for some more testing with a new screen type pickup strainer, will post pics and details when I return.  >:D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Lessron

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 12:17:44 PM »
These are the same connects the factory uses. You can get them in either valved or non valved. there are also a few different sizes

http://www.colder.com/Tabid/72/MaterialID/1/cID/1/sID/6/tID/1/Products.aspx

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 01:44:11 PM »
I stopped at Lowes on the way home from errands.  Plastic tubing is very reasonable.  $10 will do about 7 boats.  Also got some brass fittings.  Here is my hose pickup arrangement.  All clear so you can see if clogged.  There is a 6" piece of 1/2" id tubing for the pickup with a piece of barbed brass at the far end to weight it and keep the end open.  This tucks snugly at the very back of the boat behind the pump.  Pull it out to check it.  You can screen the end if needed.  Lightweight and cheap.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »
Testing with the screen was even better and how I'm going to leave mine. That pickup hose you made, Hillbilly, sounds like a good idea for being able to reach even further back but I think you would still need to put some type of screen on the end.

The final drill bit size I used to open the port on the pump with was .270. That larger size increased the amount of suction quite a bit and sped the pumping process up.

LessRon, Excellent find on those connectors!! Two thumbs up for that one man, that is going to make life much simpler for many people.
I went through the available options and bookmarked the links for the ones that would work best for this bilge setup.

This hooks to the hose coming from the pump- http://www.colder.com/Tabid/72/MaterialID/1/cID/1/sID/6/tID/1/pID/132/Products.aspx

This bolts through the hull for the pickup hose- http://www.colder.com/Tabid/72/MaterialID/1/cID/1/sID/6/tID/1/pID/169/Products.aspx

This is a drain strainer is stainless and is glued down with polyurethane sealant.

Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline watercat

• Cool Points: 2
  • Engine: 22hp race
  • Model Year: 2007
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »
Any more updates on this. I have the sea doo suction pick up block i bought off ebay and the fitting in my tool box and forgot all about it until i saw this thread.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
Nothing more to update really, everything is just like I described in my last post and it's been working great. I'm not sure what you have from a sea doo, but I doubt you'll need it.  The fitting needs to be 1/8 npt to 1/4 barb, you will need to use a die to cut the threads on the fitting so there is no taper. Drill the pump port straight or you will end up pumping water in instead of sucking it out. My previous posts detail the connectors and drill size etc..

For anyone doing this themselves...

The casting inside the pump is angled so the leading edge protrudes further than the trailing edge, that ensures that the water flow hits that leading edge first and gets deflected over the trailing edge which is what creates the vacuum. If the hole is drilled so it exits just forward of that leading edge, and removes it, the water flow wouldn’t go over it and would instead hit the trailing edge first and travel back up the port and into the hull. It’s the same principle of blowing across a straw and getting your drink to travel up it, if you change your angle too much you end up blowing bubbles in your drink instead.

Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Fly Mokai

• Cool Points: 1
  • Model Year: 10
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
Just received my pump back from Tom with his new Auto Bilge system installed. It looks great; I'm looking forward to testing it on the local trout rivers soon.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 08:15:12 PM »
Glad everything arrived ok, holler if you have any questions putting it all together.  :)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline watercat

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 08:55:51 PM »
Just installed my bilge pump.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlQTht1hd9A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlQTht1hd9A</a>

Offline Conococheague

• Engine: Subaru SP210 ES
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »
WaterCat

What do you use the other fitting for, I think it is a pressure port off the pump?

Barry

Offline watercat

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 06:22:44 PM »
I'm going to build a wet marine style exhaust and use this port to pump water through it.