$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Auto Bilge Pump

Author Topic: Auto Bilge Pump  (Read 26321 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Auto Bilge Pump
« on: May 17, 2012, 01:01:44 PM »
We've all seen the extra boss castings in the jet pump housing and while some know what they are for, others don't. I'm not sure if anyone else has done this before, I know a couple that have talked about it, but I finally drilled and tapped the siphon boss for a fitting and went out to see how bad it sucked. Well it sucked a gallon a minute, and for such a simple modification, it's going to be a huge solution to those who need a way to rid their hull of stray water that didn't know how to stay where it came from.

The video shows a full bucket of water being sucked dry by the jet pump siphon, this was done at half throttle at approx 3000rpm. I had pumped a few bucket fulls empty while at full throttle and it emptied much faster. Of course with a clutch there would be no pumping at idle but since the siphon is working every time the pump is working there wouldn't be much time for water to accumulate anyhow.

I'll post more once I've installed a bulkhead, quick disconnect, and figured out a pickup location for inside.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38WFctpaDJk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38WFctpaDJk</a>
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline MokaiFlyFisher

• Cool Points: 1
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2010
Re: Auto Bilge Pump
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »
Great improvement Tom....and one many of us should be able to install without much difficulty.
Another valuable contribution to 'ImprovingYourMokai'

Offline MokaiBueño

• Cool Points: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
Interesting info on the suction of water via the pump, will definitely consider it.  Have had electrical bilges cause lots of headaches, and most of the time when i most need them to work.  Look forward to seeing it in place and working.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »
I'm pretty excited to get it finished up and get some more testing done.

I used the same type of quick disconnect that I put on my fuel and pulse lines. I used the male side for the hull, drilled a hole in the hull for the barbed end to pass through with some silicone and used a large stainless washer on the back, with more silicone, and pushed the vinyl tubing on to hold it all in place to cure. I've got a pickup grate coming that I will tie the pickup hose into so nothing larger than the hose can handle would get sucked up. Going on vacation next week so that will have to be dealt with when I return. Pictures say the rest for now.  :)

Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverboater

• Cool Points: 20
  • Model Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »
I had wondered what that boss was for.  :-[

Another nice mod for improving your Mokai Tom.

Cheers, Steve

Offline 2mokaiman

• Global Moderator
  • Cool Points: 17
  • Engine: KX21
  • Model Year: 2 - 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »
Awesome Tom!!!  Another one of your fantastic ideas and this pump requires no battery to work just take your boat for a ride and she'll keep on sucking :)

Offline GreenmtnMC

• Cool Points: 0
  • Engine: Sooby
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »
Good grief, where do you come up with this stuff, Tom ?!  An awesome idea..., I wonder if that is what the original intent was.    It is time for you to come up with a Painless Boat !

Tell you what, when you come up with a Painless Muffler to quiet the lawnmower-like drone of the current Suby engine - I will buy a clutch for each of my Mokai's !!  Deal ?!

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 08:07:18 AM »
It is a great idea, Tom.  On/off, if needed could be handled with a fuel shutoff stopcock through the upper right side of hull. Just reach back from the seat to turn it. This also opens the possibility of "out the back" exhaust routing for those who were worried about getting water in the boat.  "Out the back" directs sound, heat and exhaust where they belong and makes the boat quieter to drive.  The stock Mokai muffler is a beautiful unit and would be easy to run out the back with a simple bolt on header. With proper bracing, that may be an inexpensive solution for many.  The muffler brace boss is already on the muffler.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 04:10:16 PM »
Yup, full time on is the easiest way to set it up. Just loop the inside line above the water line so water won't flow back into the hull when the pump isn't turning. Then there is nothing to malfunction and no valves to mess with. Just twist the throttle and it's pumping.

I got my pickup grate in and will be posting pictures of how I finish the inside along with the parts links. Playing catch up from being on vacation last week but I hope to have something done by the end of this week.  ;D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 11:05:10 AM »
Inside the hull and pickup pictures. I trimmed the sides of the pickup grate down so it would fit the narrow channel, the further back it is the better. I secured the pickup with silicone.

This is the link to the Grate/strainer http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/121_592-boat-plumbing-scoops-and-strainers/28689--standard-plastic-2-38-x-2-inch-id-boat-floor-water-strainer.html

Link to the quick disconnect which can be used for the fuel, pulse, breather and bilge pump connections. http://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Fuel-Line-Quick-Connect/dp/B003O75O98/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337284939&sr=8-4

Link to the brass fitting for the pump http://www.034motorsport.com/hardware-fittings-hoses-barbed-fittings-barbed-14-brass-nipple-to-18npt-fitting-p-223.html

Make sure to loop the pickup tubing (1/4 clear vinyl from hardware store)  in the hull so it is always higher than the water line, or water will flow back into the hull when the pump isn't turning.

Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 01:25:05 PM »
Thanks for the "how to" Tom.  My parts are on order.  Looking forward to seeing how it works, for myself and others. 

Offline Wolverinebait

• Cool Points: 4
  • Model Year: 2011 (2)
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »
Does it pick up & pump out sand too?   Because I'm always getting in & out with wet boots, I drag sand/dirt inside, and the water seems to run to the back, along with the sand & dirt.  I think in my boat, the inside of the grate would eventually get filled with sand & small gravel if it doesn't.   But another great idea!

Offline riverboater

• Cool Points: 20
  • Model Year: 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 10:37:26 PM »
Nice project Tom. And thanks for the links to the parts, the quick disconnects are going to be handy for some projects I've got planned.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »
No problem, hope it helps somebody out.

Does it pick up & pump out sand too?   Because I'm always getting in & out with wet boots, I drag sand/dirt inside, and the water seems to run to the back, along with the sand & dirt.  I think in my boat, the inside of the grate would eventually get filled with sand & small gravel if it doesn't.   But another great idea!

If it will fit in the hose it will get sucked out, the grate could clog I'm sure if enough stuff gets in it. A strainer could be made from a screen cone that would prevent a full on clog and still let water get pumped out, sand too.

Hittin' the river tomorrow to give it a test, hope to have some video to share when I return.  >:D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »
Made it out to the river, then left the video cam in the truck. Seems through the connector and the loop there is enough restriction to slow the flow, it did pump some water out but not fast enough to be useful. Going to look into some free flowing check valves and see what I can come up with so there is a direct route from the pickup to the pump without all the twists and turns. I'll get this figured out yet... lol
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com