$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; ES Conversion

Author Topic: ES Conversion  (Read 19597 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: ES Conversion
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
There are 3 or 4 wires connected to ground on the new RS engine block (not referring to battery cable) and making the relocation of the keyed switch etc to the steering area.  My question is it necessary to run the long leads back to the engine block for these sparate grounds or can one lead "share" a common lead?  Feedback appreciated. Thx, John

A common ground is fine. I would suggest soldering all connections instead of using crimps. The number one reason for electrical failures is bad connections, soldering eliminates that as a concern.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Californiamokai

• Cool Points: 8
  • Engine: RS SP-210 w/17 ES
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Follow-up question on the electrical would be fuse protection on the battery to the engine.  Using approx 5 ft run with 8 wire with shorai lithium 12v/12a max charge rate/ 155 cca. Should it be fused and, if so, what size?

Second question, is it best to keep fish finder "isolated" on its own battery that already has separate fuse protection.  Weight not an issue for both batteries lite weight.

Once again appreciate the feedback.  John

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 11:07:02 AM »
I don't think a fuse would be necessary, if you add a 12v power source then that might be a good idea to run a fuse between that and the battery. I've got everything tied to a 12v 10ah AGM sealed battery, been working just fine. Starting, charging, running GPS.... no problems.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 09:58:31 AM »
Getting third boat ready for travelling.  Old boat had Subaru but no ES.  I really liked where Tom placed his wiring.  Perfect spot with his steering.  My approach was just a little different.  Used a waterproof plastic box from Lowes.  Also have a plug in ( with fancy LED green light) for phone charging or whatever.  The box mounts with 4 machine screws.   Waterproof and easily removable for repair or updates.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »
That looks great, George. I like how everything is water tight, good idea, should be easier to access than the way I did it too.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline drummer

• Cool Points: 5
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 11:37:19 PM »
Getting third boat ready for travelling.  Old boat had Subaru but no ES.  I really liked where Tom placed his wiring.  Perfect spot with his steering.  My approach was just a little different.  Used a waterproof plastic box from Lowes.  Also have a plug in ( with fancy LED green light) for phone charging or whatever.  The box mounts with 4 machine screws.   Waterproof and easily removable for repair or updates.

Great Job. Nice ,neat, electrical configuration with the box. How do you like your steering now that you moved it to the top of the Mokai ????

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 07:26:52 AM »
Hello drummer,
I really like the steering on top.  Have it on all of my boats.  The boat is more comfortable without the handle over the right thigh.  It also allowed me to make the seat just the way I wanted, slightly elevated in the front.  And it finally put the steering where the push-button starter on the throttle would work out.  Also makes a better spot for the electrics.  No negatives.

Offline riverboater

• Cool Points: 20
  • Model Year: 2011
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »
Hillbilly - Nice mod with the box, and the rivnuts make it really easy to access.I will be duplicating it in the future.

Cheers, Steve

Offline bravodelta

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 6
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »

Too bad my box is on the opposite side. I would have followed suit, as this is a good idea. I do agree that the steering conversion kit is worth installing. Facilitates going in and out of the Mokai and is more comfortable using it from the top location.

Bob
Bravodelta

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »
Thanks Steve and Bob,
I'll be changing my other two boats to this way this winter.  Tom made the perfect spot for it.

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 12
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 10:03:51 PM »

May I ask what the plastic box is sold for at Lowe's? Is it an electrical item or which dept did you find this?. IOW, what is the boxes original purpose? What's the dimensions? Looks like a great ideal for keeping wiring watertight and from corrosion. I know RadioShack used to sell small project boxes too, but haven't been in there in ages. Again, looks like a nice solution.

Troy
Best,
Troy

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 11:52:52 PM »
Look in the electrical section, it's a plastic conduit junction box. Designed to be weatherproof, it's a great place to house the ignition switch and acc outlet, another great idea by George. The project boxes from Radio Shack aren't as tough, and are not waterproof, not sure if the back panels were stainless...
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 12
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 04:51:06 AM »
Look in the electrical section, it's a plastic conduit junction box. Designed to be weatherproof, it's a great place to house the ignition switch and acc outlet, another great idea by George. The project boxes from Radio Shack aren't as tough, and are not waterproof, not sure if the back panels were stainless...

Why thanks Hillbilly!. I'm familiar with the PVC junction boxes. I just wasn't sure at first glance if that's what this was. It looks square in the picture, yet the mounting hole pattern on Tom's steering bracket look rectangular, so had me a little confused. I'm not even sure I'm going to be using Tom steering bracket, but will be putting in a Subaru engine, and know I will have to make the electrical connections. I think it's always a good idea on a boat to make your connections waterproof, and to always add in-line fuses to batteries.

Best,

Troy
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:14:29 AM by Mokai Dreamin' »
Best,
Troy

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2013, 04:39:59 PM »
Using this box from Lowes is really not my idea.  Louis at the factory told me about it.  It is cheap to buy, is durable and works well.

Offline MAXTORQUE

• Cool Points: 14
  • Model Year: 2011
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
What a difference the electric start makes.   I put it in a few weeks ago but just this past weekend had a chance to take it out.  I can honestly understand why some people put the Mokai up for sale.  The pull start is tough on a person my age, or as a matter of fact ANY age.  You just don't get the leverage you have when you are standing over an engine like on a lawnmower or a go kart.  When you are sitting on your butt and the engine is behind you it is a chore pulling on the starter rope.  I can see why Mokai went to all electric starts on their boats and it makes a lot of sense.  After taking everyone hints on how to do it and put the starter button on the throttle handle it made going out in the Mokai very enjoyable.  I will work on the muffler this winter but for now just going up the river is now fun again.