$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Trailer Makeover

Author Topic: Trailer Makeover  (Read 317 times)

Offline WV-Holler

• Cool Points: 8
  • I Chose the Painless Route First
Trailer Makeover
« on: October 19, 2020, 07:08:54 AM »

I have finished the trailer makeover and am pleased with the results.

As some of you know from a previous post, I found a good deal on a trailer that came with a sailboat and I mothballed the sailboat.

After some cutting, grinding, fabrication and paint the trailer is now ready for prime time.

I used an old 55 gallon steel barrel for the bow bra and reused a roller from the existing trailer rigging but found the loading height a few inches too high so I added a lower rear roller to achieve one man no hassle loading.

The bra has an aluminum spine and rubber floor padding to protect the boat and with a little bit of tension on the winch strap it grips and holds the bow quite well. I got the edge trim from McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/edge-trim/heavy-duty-plastic-trim/

Doing a cardboard mockup prior to doing anything was the key to getting what I wanted it to look like.
Chris

Offline msfitoyfactory

• Cool Points: 2
  • Engine: 9.5 hp
  • Model Year: 2020
Re: Trailer Makeover
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 10:46:44 AM »
Very nicely done Chris!  Is the bottom resting on a flat board?

Offline WV-Holler

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 10:53:46 AM »
Thanks - yes that's a PT 2" X 12" sanded & stained with a mildewcide additive.
Chris

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 58
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 12:32:21 PM »
The makeover looks good, almost to good to back down a ramp into dirty water.  ;) \./8
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline fairweatherfisherman

• Cool Points: 16
  • Engine: Honda
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 08:45:44 PM »
That looks really nice.

Offline msfitoyfactory

• Cool Points: 2
  • Engine: 9.5 hp
  • Model Year: 2020
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 09:17:05 PM »
Thanks - yes that's a PT 2" X 12" sanded & stained with a mildewcide additive.
Are all versions of the Mokai flat bottomed?  I heard of another trailer build that said the hull had a 15 degree Vee...just curious as I'm about to take delivery of a 2.0 soon and like to make a trailer that fits so that I can pick it up in person...

Online Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 65
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: 2 EX21/17 / 1 KX21
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 10:43:05 PM »
They all have a slight V to them. The ES-kape models a bit more. Would store on a flat surface though, leaving the center unsupported will allow the plastic to sag under any weight over time.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 30
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 09:34:39 AM »
Are all versions of the Mokai flat bottomed?  I heard of another trailer build that said the hull had a 15 degree Vee...just curious as I'm about to take delivery of a 2.0 soon and like to make a trailer that fits so that I can pick it up in person...
I changed the bunks on my trailer in year 2 of using the ES-Kape 2.0.

There were two reasons I did this, and something to consider yourself.

At the boat ramp, I simply pull the Mokai on to the trailer. I found that in current it  was very easy for the Mokai to slide off the flat bottom bunk, and then I ended up wrestling the boat trying to get it centered again on the trailer. I have the back from hell, so I hurt myself enough times to want to change this.

Arranging the bunks so that they sit on the angled portion of the hull, forms a bit of a key, and that locks in the boat and keeps it centered on the trailer better. Works for me.

The other benefit is it allows you to get to the grate. I think you'll find in use that you'll pick up some pebbles, and sliding the boat along be flat bottom bunk dislodges those, and ends scratching the bottom of the boat, tearing up your bunk carpet, etc. I guess you could argue it dislodges those pebbles too, but  I rather be able to see light through there, and  get my hand up under the grate to pull stuff out. I have a stomp grate now, so far less of an issue, but still something to consider. Otherwise you need to slide the boat off the trailer to get to the grate.  Here again, my motivation is my horrible back, so  this may not apply  for you.  Anything I can do to keep from having to move that boat around with brute force, the better for me.

I guess in time the small unsupported area could possibly sag as Tom pointed out, but  I don't think the areas more than about 8 inches wide, so I can't see it sagging much.  I guess you could always take a small piece of wood to slide in for additional support when you store the boat long term.
Best,
Troy

Offline WV-Holler

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 09:40:44 AM »
Troy - can you share a picture of your trailer setup?
Chris

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 09:42:34 AM »
Under 2" of snow at the moment,  but I'll see if I have an old pic. By the way, a beautiful job on your trailer modifications. You have talent! I've got a big dent in the front of my bow section from pulling it up tight against the rubber piece at the winch. I just don't have the facilities to do much metalwork, but something that's been on my list for a while.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 09:48:54 AM by Mokai Dreamin' »
Best,
Troy

Offline WV-Holler

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 10:09:23 AM »
Thanks - A little determination and brand new jigsaw blades go a long way!

It was my first intro into metal work but I come from decades of wood experience.

Chris

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 10:17:33 AM »
I'd say you are quite modest. I have years of experience with woodworking myself, but your mods are works of art. Beautiful attention to detail. Very impressive.
Best,
Troy