$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; First Run and a couple questions

Author Topic: First Run and a couple questions  (Read 102 times)

Offline Beachcomber

• Cool Points: 2
First Run and a couple questions
« on: June 28, 2020, 04:32:41 AM »
Got the boat out for the first run, engine an boat ran great, posted a couple pics in the Pic forum. 

Had a question on Wear Ring/pump alignment.  Ran into some shallow gravel bars, hard to see shallow spots in glacial silt rivers, a couple times and definitely noticed the wear ring was worse for it after the run. Obviously will try to avoid that as much as possible and learning how to kill the engine quick when it does happen. I had two spares so replaced it and realized the wear ring seemed more worn on the right than the left.  The removal tool had a lip to catch on the left but on the right side where the little notch was to help you remove it, it was worn almost flush. Managed to get it out and a new one in, but the impeller binds on the new ring.  Wondering what the best way to proceed is, was thinking of marking impeller fins, gently manually rotating the impeller to see where it is binding then adjust until it rotates freely?

Also definitely going to install a new paddle holder (that Native Camlock I've seen on here looks nice), a kill switch besides the safety shut off, and a drain plug.  Amazing boats but definitely need some mods.  Maybe over the winter I'll send it to Tom for a clutch, shaft rebuild, and aluminum wear ring (think that will need the pump to be fitted right with this alignment issue).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 62
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: First Run and a couple questions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 07:50:36 AM »
Plastic wear rings are going to wear out quickly, bump a sandbar one time and you pretty much kill one and there goes your speed. Why I came up with the aluminum version so you can resurface with JB Marine indefinitely. Also slides in and out without any tools. The wear ring Mokai will sell you is for the 2008-2018 models which is slightly larger in housing diameter then your 2006, so after you beat it into the hole it shrinks and then the impeller hits. Clutch and Aluminum Wear Ring are two of the best upgrades to start with. Your pump shaft needs to be converted to spline, but it sounds like you knew that already.  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Beachcomber

• Cool Points: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 01:36:18 PM »
Yep, it did take some beating to get it into place! They definitely seem to be common sense upgrades, wonder why the company is so resistant to doing them at the factory. 

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 62
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »
Because it was my idea and they don't like me at all.  :D
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline waverunner

• Cool Points: 4
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 04:30:39 PM »
Clutch and wear ring should be near the top of the list of upgrades. Have both and love them.

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 32
  • Engine: Subaru KX17, 7hp
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 06:04:54 PM »
The clutch is GREAT! You donít need to shut off the motor, just go to idle and the suction stops.