$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Experimental 2.0 Stomp-grate

Author Topic: Experimental 2.0 Stomp-grate  (Read 472 times)

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 50
  • Engine: EX21 W/EX17 Head
  • Model Year: 2010
Experimental 2.0 Stomp-grate
« on: May 08, 2020, 06:27:09 PM »
I have been working on a stomp grate unit for the Mokai 2.0.  I have what I think is a workable accessory that I would like to provide to another owner for testing since I do not have a 2.0.  This accessory replaces the original equipment grate with an articulated one that is controlled via a cable and lever assembly in the cockpit, either under the gunwale or on top of it.  mokaidreamin, Troy, has installed one of these units on his Mokai and his initial feedback with the installation is positive. He hasn't yet, to my knowledge, tested it in typical conditions with leaves and debris.  If you are interested please get in touch via IM or email.  I do not intend on mass producing these units but I will attempt to build a few and/or share my design if there is interest. Machining for me is a hobby, not a business.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:31:36 PM by bizler »

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
Re: Experimental 2.0 Stomp-grate
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 06:37:23 PM »
Another view of my stomp-grate...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:41:23 PM by bizler »

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 54
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 08:28:59 PM »
Nice job Bill, your work is top notch for a hobbiest. Really thought I would be ordering a couple of your grates when we got our Mokai's, but our rivers and lakes haven't given us any clogging issues besides late Fall when the leaves become a minor issue.
I also like the holder for the transducer too.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:35:08 PM by CC-CODER »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 10:09:01 PM »
Thanks, Chuck.  The shots of the hull are from Troy. He deserves credit for the transducer holder.   ;)

Bill

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 24
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 03:37:13 AM »
I have been working on a stomp grate unit for the Mokai 2.0.  I have what I think is a workable accessory that I would like to provide to another owner for testing since I do not have a 2.0.  This accessory replaces the original equipment grate with an articulated one that is controlled via a cable and lever assembly in the cockpit, either under the gunwale or on top of it.  mokaidreamin, Troy, has installed one of these units on his Mokai and his initial feedback with the installation is positive. He hasn't yet, to my knowledge, tested it in typical conditions with leaves and debris.  If you are interested please get in touch via IM or email.  I do not intend on mass producing these units but I will attempt to build a few and/or share my design if there is interest. Machining for me is a hobby, not a business.
I'm hoping to get out this weekend Bill, so that's why you haven't seen me post a review yet. I've only had the boat together for about a week, and just doing some last-minute tuning to make it ready for the water. My electric fuel pump is leaking a little bit of gas so need to fix that before I head out, but with any luck it's going to be this weekend. We are expecting 70 degree weather.

I have no reason to believe that this should not work beautifully. Operation is silky smooth. Your work and attention to detail is amazing. The new actuating lever is great, as is the custom made washers. Everything is just perfect as far as I'm concerned!. I'll post a full report once I get a few hours on it.
Best,
Troy

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 03:53:02 AM »
Here is the YouTube video I shot right after I installed it.

Enjoy.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TxNfxNr-rU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TxNfxNr-rU</a>
Best,
Troy

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 38
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 09:54:20 AM »
Bill,

That is a work of art.  And nice video, Troy.  Tom made three stomp grates for my boats after he first invented it and they have served my and my friends for many years.  Thanks to people like you all, the boats are better for all of us.

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 09:54:59 PM »
Been meaning to post to the forum, but keep forgetting. Everything works as it should Bill.  The grate doesn't keep things like small sticks getting into the impeller, but for larger leaves and debris it seems to work just fine. I had no build up of larger stuff. As mentioned I'm still seeing things like small twigs getting through the grate and getting into the impeller but not really a fault of the stomp grate.

About the only thing I can suggest is to make the ends of the tines a little bit less sharp. I stuck my hands but good, reaching in to grab a stick that worked its way through. Those things are sharp!

Again, operation was silky smooth, and no large debris was on the grate. I would say it's a success!

About the only thing I want to try is the stock grate vs your grate just to make sure there's no loss of performance, but the openings are the same so should perform the same in theory. 

Best,
Troy

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 11:27:35 PM »
Thanks for the update, Troy.  Sorry about the sharpness of the tines but thatís easily remedied with a little filing.  Obviously the grate wonít keep small stuff from passing through the grate any differently than a stock grate but I am hopeful that it will help shed larger stuff that would otherwise cause you to have to beach the boat and clean the grate by hand. 

I will be interested to see if the additional hardware in the tunnel is noticeable compared to the stock grate.   One thing that I wondered about is that the overall open area of the 2.0 grate appears to be maybe 10% - 15% less than the stock grate for the original Mokai and yet is adequate to feed the pump at greater volume and achieve greater speed.  Conventional thinking with the old models has been that the grate is a limiter on achieving higher speed. It apparently isnít though...   ;)

Bill

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 12:47:38 AM »
Thanks for the update, Troy.  Sorry about the sharpness of the tines but thatís easily remedied with a little filing.  Obviously the grate wonít keep small stuff from passing through the grate any differently than a stock grate but I am hopeful that it will help shed larger stuff that would otherwise cause you to have to beach the boat and clean the grate by hand. 

I will be interested to see if the additional hardware in the tunnel is noticeable compared to the stock grate.   One thing that I wondered about is that the overall open area of the 2.0 grate appears to be maybe 10% - 15% less than the stock grate for the original Mokai and yet is adequate to feed the pump at greater volume and achieve greater speed.  Conventional thinking with the old models has been that the grate is a limiter on achieving higher speed. It apparently isnít though...   ;)

Bill

As time permits, I'll try to do a test with and without the stomp grate to see if speed is affected. If it is, I have a feeling it's going to be pretty minor.

When Rick did tests without the grate I think he gained 3 or 4 miles per hour. I suppose if you're out on a nice clean lake you could take the grate off and really zoom around. Certainly would not advise doing that to anyone where you've got debris.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:49:14 AM by Mokai Dreamin' »
Best,
Troy

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 10:03:03 AM »
Update on the stomp grate:
 I removed it yesterday for a comparison, and went from speeds of around 9 miles an hour all the way up to 17 miles an hour, so unfortunately it's back to the drawing board on this design for Bill. I'm having to remove the grate.
I still sincerely appreciate all of Bill's effort, and I think we should all feel fortunate and appreciative that we have people like Bill around to help improve these boats. Sometimes we need to go a little backwards to go forward.

Best,
Troy

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 11:23:31 AM »
Thanks, Troy for giving the grate a thorough test. I am sorry that it didnít work as expected. I will rethink how it might be revised to eliminate the obstacles, namely anything that disturbs the flow in the tunnel.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained...   ;)  Bill

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 09:01:04 PM »
Here is a bit of an update on my development of a stomp grate for Troyís 2.0. I revised my design to eliminate all of the obstacles in the inner side of the grate except for the cable attachment mechanism. Troy took it for a test run and had about the same results as the previous model, 9 mph upstream and 13 mph downstream. We were baffled with these results since the difference between it and the earlier stock grate were so minimal.

The next day, he switched back to the stock grate and low and behold, the performance was the same as both the new and the improved stomp grate, 9mph upstream an 13mph downstream. It was the that he recollected that he had added another gallon of fuel and a couple of additional lbs. of gear to the load.  It appears that a 10lb. difference in weight might prevent the boat getting up on plane.  So when Mokai says the maximum load is 200 lbs. they meant it. 

Troy is doing more testing so the jury is still out on whether or not heíll make use of the stomp grate or not.   ;)  Bill
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 09:02:38 PM by bizler »

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 62
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 09:45:47 PM »
With no speed difference between the two, I'd certainly vote for the stomp grate hands down. Beautiful work too Bill, as always, you have outdone yourself!  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 38
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 08:08:25 AM »
Wow, Bill.  That is just beautiful.  You and Troy are a great team