$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; 240lbs? Too heavy

Author Topic: 240lbs? Too heavy  (Read 715 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: 240lbs? Too heavy
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 05:50:28 PM »
The hopped up kart engines are making power past the 5000 rpm range, and they have a reduction drive via sprockets. So they can get up in that power band and stay there. The Mokai is 1:1 direct drive. So it's like starting out in 4th gear when you need to be in 1st. The stock and slightly hopped up motors make power in the 3600-4400 rpm range and can live there all day. The race motors won't outperform for long, if at all, have no charging system usually, and will make more heat which in turn reduces power in the long stretch. The ES-kape also uses the crankcase cover and shroud bolt locations for the engine mounts, and a Honda motor isn't going to match up with that pattern. You'd have to make new mounting plates, new exhaust, adapt the linkage and plenum ring. Then hope you gained something for the big $$ you dropped in the process. 
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 24
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »
Thanks for all the input, really want one of these boats, lakes and river use, shallow water, gravel beds, no log jumping,
Down to 215lbs now. I think I can get to around 205-208lbs. There seems to be some pretty smart guys playing with these, hoping guys are able to tinker and get the most out of this boat  to lift my heavy ass out of the water up on plane. Option two is maybe a foldable rib boat with a 6hp outboard. Going to keep mokai as plan A for now. Better head for the bike and get a burn going. No rush, canadian dollar is terrible right now, not to mention job security.
Lwing:
Since I'm one of the few people who owns the 2.0, let me shine a little glimmer of hope on the situation for you.

If you're already down to 215 lbs,  I would keep doing what you're doing and once you get down there at about 210, you could also take out a few gallons of gas (12 pounds) and see some pretty decent speeds. I bet you'd get in the 15-16 range.

There's a pretty simple formula out there. Eat 500 cal less per day and you'll lose 1 pound a week. And if you do things like stop eating past 6 PM, and don't have your first meal until lunch, you'll essentially get the benefits of a fast. Lots of ways to shed the lbs. I'd concentrate my efforts there. Better for your health as well.

The version 2 of the ES-Kape requires far less modification than any previous model of the Mokai. You can look at all the upgrades Tom did to the ES-Kape version 1, and while there is certainly room for some improvements in version 2, it doesn't have nearly the issues with the cooling, and electronics have been fixed.

So, rather than go crazy with trying to modify a previous version of the boat, I put your efforts into losing the pounds. You're actually within about 5 pounds of enjoying the benefits of the 2.0, and that's not much to lose. I was in the 200 to 204 range last year, and was seeing 17 mph, so I know you can get it. 

Hopefully this is a bit more encouraging.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:55:35 PM by Mokai Dreamin' »
Best,
Troy

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 51
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 11:42:04 PM »
Thanks for that, only the three piece mokai would work for me, will consider options, if any one over 200lbs has some input on new model, or would load a bunch of weight up. I'd sure be interested in some input
Thanks

I have a 2010 Classic version and at 195 lbs can get on plane at about 3/4 throttle or 9-10 mph. I usually have a 15 lb anchor dangling off the front of the boat as well as 35 lbs of camping gear and still achieve plane. I'm not one that cares much about speed because I'm in no hurry to get there. Winter comes to quick around here not to enjoy my time on the water. Tom filmed me back in November during my visit to his place for upgrades and at about 1:30 in the video, you'll notice me on plane, problably 3/4 to full throttle at that point too. Hope that helps.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VlJelK2d4U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VlJelK2d4U</a>
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Lwing

• Cool Points: 0
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 02:01:01 AM »
Awesome guys, thanks for the help. Shows how appealing these boats are if your willing to change your lifestyle to enjoy one.
Will inspire me to shed some more weight. I will be getting a mokai as soon as everything can fall into place. Don't know if too many have made it west coast Canada. I'm building an off-road motorhome and there will be a designated spot for a mokai. Plan to travel through the US also,so maybe I'll see some of you guys on the water.
Cheers

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 02:13:50 AM »
I been to Vancouver and want to go back some day.
Always enjoy the way Chigg travels the country with his setup,, worth checking out.

https://youtu.be/EQ1u2Q2ob2E

There wAs another member that used his up in Alaska and posted videos.
http://www.improvingyourmokai.com/index.php?action=profile;u=163
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:17:27 AM by CC-CODER »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 09:40:12 AM »
I have a 2010 Classic version and at 195 lbs can get on plane at about 3/4 throttle or 9-10 mph.

The classic and 2.0 are completely different.  ;)
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline steelheader

• Cool Points: 4
  • Engine: Subaru and Kohler9.5
  • Model Year: 2011 and 2020
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 07:33:20 PM »
I've got quite a few hours on my 2.0 now and will fully agree with Tom and Troy; the 2.0 performance is severely impacted with additional weight.  I weigh in about 225-230 and always have some mud and water rolling around in the bottom, some fishing gear (which includes at least a six pack) and we run in some very shallow and fast moving rivers.  My 2.0 and one piece Subaru go the exact same speed with me in them.  However, my son which is about 145 lbs can cruise on a flat lake at over 22MPH, it's insane actually and I'm really jealous.  The description of the boat planing out at about 15 is dead on, and then its an entirely new craft, but that only happens with him in the boat. 

The one piece hull will serve a larger man much better from my experience.  In addition to that, the 2.0 appears to have a much deeper draft.  Add the extra HP/thrust to it, and it's always sucking things up that the Subaru model never seems to find in the river....and that part makes no difference of who is in the cockpit. 

I've asked Mokai for some tips on getting some additional speed out of the boat, but so far they've given me no info.  The one thing that helps is sitting a long way forward in the seat, and putting any and all additional weight you're carrying in the front of the cockpit.  That can give me about 2 more mph in calm water, but is really uncomfortable for long distances. 

I'm planning to get my 1.0 Subaru and 2.0 out in the lake this week and I'll try to get some side by side shots to compare them.  Maybe some speed tests too as it may help some of you decide which model is better suited for your particular use. 

Hope this helps!

Rich

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2020, 09:13:15 PM »
Rich:

In your situation, putting the gas tank up front I think will get you another 2 miles an hour. If I recall it takes 8.5 ft of gas line. If you go that route then I would put some of the one-way valves in or you'll have a mess on your hand when you disconnect. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-1-4-Gas-Fuel-In-Line-Hose-Quick-Release-Disconnect-Coupling-12-0037/352641029753?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649I think I sent you a private email about all of this, but figured I'd put it up on the forum too. And remember gasoline weighs about 6 pounds per gallon, so that can be pretty substantial.

You might hear back from Rick after the 15th. They are still currently closed due to the covid-19 pandemic. Short of running with the grate off, I can't think of much else to gain you speed, and in less you're going out in a deep lake I wouldn't advise taking the grate off! One of Tom's wear rings may get you 1 mph too, along with his pump rebuilds.
Best,
Troy

Offline steelheader

• Cool Points: 4
  • Engine: Subaru and Kohler9.5
  • Model Year: 2011 and 2020
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2020, 12:23:51 PM »
Thanks Troy, I appreciate the tips!  I am considering putting the tank up front, and I might even drill through the top of the cockpit and put a filler hose through it.  The fuel tank takes a funnel to fill it anyway, so I'm already unsatisfied with the effort it takes to fill the tank.  The check valves are an excellent idea and I'll be sure to use them when putting the tank up front. 

Another thing on the 2.0: a heavier user mentioned on one of the chats a while back that the vessel takes on water in the back unless he sits forward in the seat.  I've also seen this when loaded down with a full tank of fuel and in the pouring rain.  It's simply because the boat sits very low in the back end (due to lack of planing) and spray comes through the engine exhaust port in the rear.  It's not dangerous for the engine since its away from the intake, but could be a problem if running a long distance.  The extra weight of the water (rain or spray) accumulates quickly and further slows you down compounding the problem.

I installed two simple bilge pumps using the accessory port on the control module.  They work like a charm pumping out of the cockpit and the engine bay simultaneously.  Again, this is primarily for the rain water that we fight here in Washington, but I could see the water coming in while operating normally being a safety issue for heavier captains.....

If it every stops raining, I'll post some pictures for you guys along with the amazon links for the parts. 

Thanks again Troy, and I appreciate the note on Rick.  Hopefully they'll get back with some further info!

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2020, 12:31:34 PM »
I think Avago played around with the fuel tanks too. Might want to checkout his posts for some ideas. 😃
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Lwing

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »
Well I'm down to 210lbs now, really looking forward to more guys tuning these to there needs,  probably double the price for me to get to west coast Canada factoring in exchange, it's on the list, need to finish my vehicle and get this in it and hit the road.

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2020, 05:07:51 PM »
Congratulations on the weight loss! 30 pounds is quite an accomplishment. At 210 you should be able to get 17+ miles an hour. I would just run with 2 gallons of gas, and leave the tank where it is. Bear in mind with the overdrive it may take a quarter-mile to get to that speed, and if you run into any obstacles or pick up some debris you may never get there, but under ideal conditions you should be able to see 16 or 17. When I ran the boat across the lake, it wasn't too hard to get the boat to maintain around 16, and I saw patches of 17 and 18. On the river it's a bit different as you hit currents, or pick up some debris, etc. The 2.0 just doesn't have much in reserve, and it's probably its Achilles' heel.
Best,
Troy

Offline Lwing

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2020, 10:26:28 PM »
No, heaviest was 230, was low 220's when I started a month ago questioning the 2.0 capacity, still need a bunch of gear on top of the 210lbs, gonna shoot for 200lbs, need to raise more funds to finish vehicle then mokai so I have a while to shed more weight. That'll give all the tinkerers time to dial everything in, like moving fuel tank, pump gaurd, and someone's working on removing the governor. I'm not nearly that handy so excited to see what everyone's working on when I check in, find it pretty impressive
Edit
Add the stomp grate also
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:29:52 PM by Lwing »

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2020, 11:03:38 PM »
Great job on your ability to lose the pounds. I fluctuate between 185-200 lbs. I usually average 7-8 mph on my trips, just don't see the need to rush getting there when we only get out a few dozen times a year. But I can see the need for speed with the 2.0.
Here's some motivation for you from today's outing, 22 miles round trip.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:13:15 PM by CC-CODER »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️