$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Es-Kape 1.0 upgrade to Briggs & Stratton Animal 206cc Kart Racking Engine

Author Topic: Es-Kape 1.0 upgrade to Briggs & Stratton Animal 206cc Kart Racking Engine  (Read 801 times)

Offline voipwell

• Cool Points: -8
  • Engine: 7 hp
  • Model Year: 2015
Re: Es-Kape 1.0 upgrade to Briggs & Stratton Animal 206cc Kart Racking Engine
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2019, 09:52:53 PM »
Motor mount bolt holes appear the same for 206 and subaru.  103.2 mm center to center sidecover bolts.  Will need some spacers between the bolt hole and the bracket to move the bracket 1/4 inch away from the hole to clear the side cover contour.  The Subaru side cover is flat in comparison.  Looks like exhaust next with the kholer muffler and mounting and braces.  All i was ever worried about was the mounting holes.  If i couldn't grab the engine by the side i would lose the engine guiding into position for lock that the side mounts provide. 

So my first step involving the motor mounts showed me how clever they are and how they allow the engine to smoothly slide back into position and lock.  I don't think the motor could have been mounted any better than they did it.  It is almost effortless to slide it back into the pin holes with the mounts riding along the bottom rails.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2019, 10:12:22 PM »
I liked the pin mounting design, but with no means to adjust for alignment issues, it left much to be desired. The lock has also been known to come undone, it's happen to mine a few times and I've seen others clipping D-Rings in the lock slot to prevent it from backing out. Glad to hear the mounting brackets look like they will be pretty much a bolt on deal, surprised to hear that too. Lucky for you!
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline voipwell

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2019, 10:19:42 PM »
That makes sense so increase the rpm to 4600-4800 and your boat should have planed at 170.  then you get the free few miles per hour.  sound like you needed only a bit more.  At 210 though it's going to probably need the whole 5K.  When this is over in the next few weeks we'll all know.

Offline voipwell

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2019, 10:29:40 PM »
washer spacers on the mounting bracket may help align that.  I might be talking out my butt but i had figured that i would need to use spacer to lock it in to alignment.  horizontal alignment is easy with washers.  Vertical alignment would not be so easy.  I think you have to be within 1% with shaft to shaft connections.  A clutch probably buys you a little more.

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 20
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2019, 02:53:30 AM »
So that means a grate re-design if that happens. In a grate,  you must maintain the distance between the ribs but can we reduce the width of each individual rib keeping them spaced out the same which would result in more ribs but much thinner.  Do thinner ribs cavitate(form cavities of bubbles) less than thicker ribs?  Is round better, square?  Would the gains be cancelled out by the extra few ribs you would have to add to make the spacing between them the same to keep the impeller safe?  It would have to be stainless steel because thin aluminum would bend easy. 
I believe a cross-section that is round reduced cavitation. Peter from Russia experimented with this and somewhere in the old threads on this forum is that info. I thought he gained a mile an hour or so by changing the design. Maybe somebody else can remember the details. It makes sense that water is going to flow around a smoother surface easier, and that would reduce cavitation.
Best,
Troy

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 18
  • Engine: EX21
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2019, 08:37:57 AM »
Yes, round ribs made of stronger material will increase the total opening surface. Also inward curved or slanted grate would additionally increase working surface and therefore reduce resistance. And an added benefit is that the part that is recessed does not need to be as strong. I wish I had skills and equipment to fab something like that.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »
I used stainless round rod for my grates, it does flow more than the stock grate. This is from my stomp grate so the gap is wider, fixed grates were closer like the stock grate and worked well and very tough. On fixed grates I can make them as close or open as desired.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 18
  • Engine: EX21
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2019, 10:48:32 AM »
Very cool. Tom. Is it a difficult to make ribs curve inward? Gains up to pi/2 working area. Or have you tested speed with and without your grate and found no difference, which would imply it is already not a bottleneck?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2019, 11:25:18 AM »
I heat and bend the frame around a jig then weld the bars in. The stock grate is definitely a restriction and any increase in flow is a benefit until you encounter debris. My grate will let more pass through so I will find much more debris in my impeller compared to a stock grate. It's a trade off. I recall a solid .5 mph increase from swapping grates. Every little bit counts.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2019, 12:49:40 PM »
I'm not sure about version 1 of the escape, but the grate on version 2 is much simpler in design and I would think would be easy to make out of tubular steel or should I say easier.  Working with those tiny pieces I'm sure is not that easy:) Here's a few pics. The danger of course as Tom pointed out is more things can pass through.
Best,
Troy

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »
Thanks for the pics, that looks to be more open than previous models. I'll put a tape measure on the ones I have later and we'll see how they compare.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2019, 01:13:17 PM »
Spacing is quarter-inch by the way. This would actually be a good project for your new CNC Tom. You could start with a quarter-inch end mill, and finish up with a round over bit. You would have to set up for two-sided milling though with some registration holes. Probably easier than welding tubing.
Best,
Troy

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2019, 01:25:34 PM »
Ok, thanks for that info. I'll go check one soon, really curious now. lol

Much faster to weld a grate up from 5/16" stainless solid rod, and would be twice as tough. Trying to cut a grate from 6061 on my CNC would be much more complicated and time consuming, hours and hours, and steel isn't an option. Laser or water jet would be the way to go for CNC to do one of these.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2019, 01:42:22 PM »
I was thinking more out of a piece of aluminum, but stainless would definitely be a heck of a lot stronger.  If you decide to try one out of  stainless steel tubing,  I would purchase one.  If you need some detailed measurements just let me know.
Best,
Troy

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2019, 02:24:27 PM »
Looks like you could scan the grate like you did the pump and send that for dimensions, shouldn't have any problem making one up. And FYI tubing is hollow, rod is solid.  ;)

Here are the slots on the 2010 grate.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com