$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; 2.0 Review (take 2)

Author Topic: 2.0 Review (take 2)  (Read 751 times)

Offline strick

• Cool Points: 3
Re: 2.0 Review (take 2)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 08:05:13 AM »
Got it...makes me even more glad that I ordered the kit..it would have been very disheartening to have found out that the pull start was for looks only... thanks for the reply

strick

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 18
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 10:34:54 AM »
If you don't have clutch you can still move at idle and steer with paddle :) Motor giving you 3 mph for "free" is a lot better than paddling. But, yes, getting rid of electronics with Tom's kit was absolutely the best thing I have done to my Eskape.   

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »
Happy to hear that Denis. Coming up with that kit was the best thing for mine too. The servo people could still get home with a clutch though, either use something on hand to tie the throttle linkage at a higher idle or use the idle screw. Once it's at engagement RPM you're moving about 4-5 mph.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline voipwell

• Cool Points: -8
  • Engine: 7 hp
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 01:45:25 AM »
The metal you heard was 5 lbs of tools in a plastic bag on the ledge on the left flotation device.  I did end up hearing at least 3 rock strikes but the wife never felt it.  Too much excitement? 

Seaweed is in the the low water,  leaves are falling,  the season here is winding down fast.  Hope to get one good long run in before winter but the the reservoir that feeds NYC is the main source of the Delaware river so even with recent rain they aren't releasing enough to raise the level. 

You know that transmission box in the 2.0 Mokai.  Wouldn't it be great if it had a reverse and then you could suck water in the nozzle and blow it out the bottom grate?  They make a reverse gearbox for Karts but not sure if the jet running in reverse push the stuff away from the grate hard enough and i think they gear down the reverse so probably not.

Offline Duff

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: Tom's EX21 Upgrade
  • Model Year: 2002
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 09:54:10 AM »
I recognize that Big Azz Rock. Hoped to get up there again this season but you know how the levels were earlier. Yeah - leaves and grass has ended it now.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 02:32:29 PM »
You know that transmission box in the 2.0 Mokai.  Wouldn't it be great if it had a reverse and then you could suck water in the nozzle and blow it out the bottom grate?  They make a reverse gearbox for Karts but not sure if the jet running in reverse push the stuff away from the grate hard enough and i think they gear down the reverse so probably not.

The impeller blade pitch is only going to be efficient in one direction so that would be another reason that probably wouldn't work. Would be cool to have some jets in the intake tunnel facing down at the grate that water or compressed air could be used to clear the grate. All those cool little conveniences add weight though, always a balancing act. haha

Reverse has been a handy tool that has helped clear grates too if you have a clutch. At idle there is no suction so a few blasts in reverse and then to idle will encourage debris to fall away. All depends on conditions but it can help.

Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline voipwell

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »
Duff,  that's area is what started my love of the river and the Mokai.  After living in the area since 1981 i discovered the river last year.  Got a couple of Dick's kyaks in June last year and loved it between fly bites.  Got a Dick's Jon boat and a 3.5 hp yamaha outboard and finally almost made it to the powerlines before losing the bottom end to rocks.  No shear pin on those.  Switched to 2 electric motors.  120 lbs of batteries. :), 40 lbs of motors.

I knew i needed a Mokai to go up river but they weren't shipping.  Found a fellow in Pittsburg end of August selling his 3 years old never used.  Said he couldn't get in and out of it and that he had waited too long to enjoy life and now he physically couldn't.  Wow,  I'm 63 and it impacted me.

So i  spent September and October in the Mokai there whenever i could.  Got a wet suit over the winter and was out there first week in April.  Lot's of water then.  Never stopped until one day went all the way to Port Jervis  until i ran out of gas.  I run out of gas just before some rapids where a bunch of people are hanging out on rafts and infatable boats.  I see a guy standing up in one of the boats waving at me.  Turns out it was a young machinist that worked at Mokai.  He was amazed since he had never seen a Mokai in the wild. 

Put 2.5 gallons in the tank from my reserve tank and back 42 miles to the launch.  84 miles round trip on 5 gal of gas thru that area.  That's why I'm glad Mokai put a 5 lb muffler to quiet down that 9.5 hp.  When my wife was idling 30 yards from the trailer i was looking upstream for her and didn't realize she was right in front of me.  1.0 is pretty quiet too.

Offline voipwell

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2019, 02:46:43 PM »
Personal Water Craft are prohibited from State Parks.  Some Rangers may mistake a Mokai for a personal watercraft as one questioned me about mine.  The jetpump lead them to believe it may be a pwc.  a PWC is registered in PA as a PWC and a boat is registered as a boat.  The Mokai is registered as a boat.  The distinguishing thing about PWCs is you either stand or sit ON them where a boat you sit in them.  That is why a Stick Boat is prohibited in State Parks in the US.  Mokai is threading the needle here and as speeds are approaching 30 mph they could get a second look so the manner in which they are used and how they sound will determine their ability to roam free in state parks.

Offline voipwell

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2019, 03:12:32 PM »
Correction.  Not all state park rivers prohibit pwc.  Delaware State Forest does.  To check if your river does here is a link.

https://www.nonoise.org/library/drowning/fr21mr00-6.htm

Offline voipwell

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2019, 11:42:04 AM »
And i confused state and Federal.  Federal parks have been restricted according to the link in the last post. 

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2019, 06:33:42 PM »
Good info though, thanks for sharing.  \./8