$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Maiden Voyage

Author Topic: Maiden Voyage  (Read 238 times)

Offline strick

• Cool Points: 3
Maiden Voyage
« on: September 21, 2019, 08:19:12 PM »
I have been very excited about getting one of these toys...Yesterday it arrived Via U ship..it's a 2017 model...the previous owner took great care of the boat...there are lots of extras (pump guard, digital tach and temp gauges) and I'm very happy with the purchase. Put it together yesterday...practiced taking the engine in and out..practiced taking the pump in and out as well...Today after the chores were done I thought what the heck might as well take it for a spin. I live 5 min from the nearest boat ramp here in the Calif Delta.

I knew the boats were a little on the loud side...figured maybe I could build a shroud on top of the engine hatch like most of you have done to deflect the noise... I dont know when this boat was used last...had 1/2 tank of fuel in it.  Boat starts right up like a champ here in my shop.. I've never drove a jet of any kind but knew what to expect...If I keep this thing the clutch is a must have...it idles really fast...put about 40 min on it just putting around the local marina...went WOT a few times had to clear weeds twice (we have what we call aquarium grass here in the delta) I knew when I had weeds due to the power loss and once I had seen when I drove right over a small patch of grass and the power loss was immediate. No biggie thats to be expected...I noticed the boat was loosing power and I figured I had more weeds and it was time to head back to the ramp anyways so I did.

So I'm at the ramp learning how to install the Mokart while in the water. I take the pump out before wheeling it up the ramp and water is draining out of where the pump houses..no biggie just a little water...but it keeps draining...and draining...Hmmm open the engine hatch and there is a lot of water in there. plus the boat feels heavier... Ok so I have a leak...I figure its coming from where the shaft from the pump inserts through the hull and into the motor shaft? Im I correct in my thinking? I just don't see where else it could be coming from. The last picture shows about 3 inches of water in the engine compartment...half way up the battery..this is after draining most of the water out at th ramp! I'd say the battery was submerged and the water went half way up the engine!

Any advice would be appreciated...maybe I did something wrong in the assembly?

strick

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 18
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
Re: Maiden Voyage
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 09:10:39 PM »
Congratulations on the your new toy! Hopefully you'll sort out the water issue quickly. I remember my first Mokai outing. That ended by overheating, literally melting one of the servos, and subsequently rebuilding the engine. I'd rather have a little water in :)

On a more serious note, you may want to just float you boat by itself first and check whether any water gets into engine compartment.  If it is dry, get in, float for some more - you guessed it - check for water again.  I have not experienced water ingress when boat isn't moving, but maybe you right and your pump shaft bearing is leaking water. Is it greased well? You are supposed to grease it a frequently. There is even a little tool supplied with every Eskape to do that.

If engine compartment remained dry, water must be getting in when boat is moving. It could be openings connecting engine compartment and cockpit. They have rubber gaskets on them, but if two compartments aren't mated perfectly, water can get in when you go fast. I think Tom might be selling a remedy for that.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 09:35:26 PM »
Glad you had a fun first trip out, welcome to the fun!

Water can come over the sides of the engine compartment while under way, so that could have been it. It could be from hull bearing but I doubt it, if it was leaking that bad you wouldn't have had very good performance due to cavitation. The only time that would have leaked is with the engine off since you don't have a clutch yet. So more than likely your water is coming over the side, or there is a crack which is unlikely. Let us know what you find!
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: Subaru KX17, 7hp
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 08:12:18 AM »
I learned a valuable lesson on my trip with Happul3 this year. Donít take the shaft out while in the water! I did a clean out in front of him in the water, and he looked at me like I was nuts. The water will go right up the shaft hole.
Since then, I pull the stern out of the water a bit for cleaning the pump.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 08:19:13 AM »
Good point Craig, I was going to mention that but when I reread his post he said he pulled the pump before rolling it up the ramp and that's where the water was draining from. Didn't consider his stops for clean outs. Would take on lots of water if that was the case!
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline strick

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 09:47:21 AM »
I learned a valuable lesson on my trip with Happul3 this year. Donít take the shaft out while in the water! I did a clean out in front of him in the water, and he looked at me like I was nuts. The water will go right up the shaft hole.
Since then, I pull the stern out of the water a bit for cleaning the pump.

That might be it Fellas...I'm trying to remember exactly what I did and I'm thinking that when the boat was nose up on the ramp I took the pump out to help clean the grate and maybe thats when it happened...if so thats good news and I can blame it on my being stupid  :) I guess another test run is in order darn it  ;) another thing that happened was it smelled like something was burning back there I'd say during the first 15 min of operation...there was a little smoke...coming from the muffler I think...I did pull over get out and check but no fire lol...

thanks for your help again...I'd like to learn the boat without killing myself in the process  ;D

strick

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: Subaru KX17, 7hp
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 10:11:52 AM »
My advice is to stay local, and only go UPSTREAM, until you know your boat better. If the motor dies, you can paddle, but itís not easy at all. Believe me, I know.
Donít worry about doing stupid stuff, just read all my posts, Iíve had some doozies!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 03:54:56 PM »
Muffler gets over 650įf, so if you've grabbed it with greasy hands etc.. you will smell it burning off when running. Or if it gets wet it will smell too as the water burns off.

Sounds like your water issue was self inflicted and easily avoided in the future. Cheap and easy lesson learned. haha At least you're having fun, and that's what it's all about!!  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline strick

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 05:59:42 PM »
Yes you guys were right...took it out for about an hour and not a drop of water in the engine compartment..Yesterday when I nosed the bow up in the launch ramp it must have lowered the stern significantly letting lots of water into the boat when the pump was removed...lesson learned as you say...I had been watching some of Toms videos were he beaches the boat and then takes the pump out while the stern is still slightly in the water...guess I was not watching closely enough lol.. One annoying thing is the darn grass clogging the water intake...maybe going to make a tool like some of you have to clear it without beaching the boat...thanks again

strick

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 47
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 06:16:20 PM »
You might want to double check the oil level too.
Concerning grass, I learned my lesson on my very first trip out more than 2 year ago. I avoid the large lake that had grass up to the surface and once June approaches, I quit going to the upper Cuyahoga River since it gets overgrown from the river banks to the channel.
Okay to paddle in my kayak, but not much fun in a Mokai.
Also, just learned this year to beach the Mokai backwards and lift with handles onto a rock or tree branch, that allows me to reach my hand underneath, pull the pump and avoid other boats wakes from going into the engine compartment or directly into the muffler. Sometimes I use the Mokart instead of my trailer and find it is easier to slide under while positioned this way too. Kind of difficult to do it with the engine compartment floating in the water.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:18:59 PM by CC-Coder »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline strick

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 08:37:23 PM »
I will try that method of cleaning Coder...thanks for the tip this site is wonderful! Thanks Tom for hosting a great web site!

strick

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 08:42:55 PM »
You're welcome, glad you enjoy it!

Once you get the clutch you will find that going to idle can prevent many clogs, as well as allow many to fall away. You'll be stopping a whole lot less that's for sure. ;)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com