$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Chuck From California

Author Topic: Chuck From California  (Read 288 times)

Offline strick

• Cool Points: 3
Chuck From California
« on: September 01, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »
Hello group...I have all the sudden fell in love with the Mokai and feel I need one...I've read the threds about how they wont sell to Calif residents...and maybe buying an older one hen you can register it in Calif? or registering one out of state works? any help appreciated...I think I like the older one piece models anyways...more room inside for storage? The wife and I have Hobies...have the pro angler 12 which weighs 130 plus...what does the Mokai weigh? is it something I can fit in the bed of my truck and walk down to the ramp with the wheel cart I see some have? I'll have more questions....thanks in advance!

strick

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Chuck From California
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 03:51:11 PM »
I think you can register a used one in CA, hopefully some members from there will chime in. The one piece models have many more options and advantages over the later model 3 piece boats. But before going into this too much where do you intend on using the Mokai? Fresh water or salt water?
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline strick

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 04:57:20 PM »
Thank you for the response...I live on the Delta...if you draw a line between San Francisco and Sacramento...I'm in the middle at the conflux of the sacramento and San Joaquin rivers...there is some big water here but I mostly will be staying in sloughs or close to shore.. don't worry I'm not likely to kill myself as I have a 20 seacraft boat that I'm capable of doing that in lol...Rotweiller has responded via PM so I think I may have the reg thing figured out...now  to figuure out which years are preferable for me...there are a couple for sale in Oregon right now 2102 and 2014 models I believe...and I have a daughter in college living there...how convenient lol

strick

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 06:27:26 PM »
I was asking fresh or salt because salt is the worst thing for these boats, and I wouldn't recommend using one in that with good conscience. 2012 model is a good one with some work, one piece model that came with the Subaru. 2014 is the first year ES-kape.. Can be made more reliable but it takes a lot more work and the pump is completely unprotected.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: Subaru KX17, 7hp
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 08:05:51 PM »
I can vouch for salt water being the nemesis of the Mokai. Mine died after a trip to Stone Harbor, NJ two weeks ago. The salt water shorted out some of my wiring, and it was a tough paddle back to the ramp. Remember, itís basically a tractor engine in a boat.
I have the 2012 model, with most of Tomís upgrades.
If your going to use it in shallower rivers, or anywhere there are rocks or other obstacles, I highly recommend the protected nozzle ( like the 2012 ).

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 47
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 09:24:52 PM »
The Mokai weighs between 210-250 lbs with 3 gallons of gas. The Mokart works nice on level to slight grade but wouldn't want to try pulling it up a fairly steep incline for any distance. I have the luxury of using a trailer with quite a few lakes and rivers within an hours drive.
Cool first name...Chuck Lol

Here's a video of how I installed my storage hatch. Not a whole lot of room in these boats but we have loaded them up with ultra light backpacking gear and firewood and cruised to a boat in only camp site.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhqgeMGD0qU
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 09:29:01 PM by CC-Coder »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: Subaru KX17, 7hp
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 09:40:40 PM »
I watched that video before doing my hatch. I took mine out, which I donít recommend. Otherwise well worth it.

Offline strick

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 11:34:43 PM »
Thanks fellas for the tips and the info on the weight...I dont want to have to use a trailer...The water here in my part of the delta is brackish but the salt content is very low if any...mostly fresh water...will also be hitting some lakes in N. Calif.
Chuck- watched the video and had to smile at seeing that old craftsman drill is still alive. Reminds me of my dads old drill dont know what ever happened to it.
from what you guys are telling me then the 2012 model should be a one piece boat right? the one in Oregon listed as a 2012 is modular..am I missing something here?

https://kpr.craigslist.org/boa/d/richland-jet-powered-kayak/6948323840.html

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 11:43:49 PM »
That's not a 2012, that's a 2014 or maybe 2015 ES-kape. All 2012 models were one piece.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline strick

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 12:04:31 AM »
Ok Thanks just making sure...

strick

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 47
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 08:02:07 AM »
That was my dadís old drill and he probably bought it at an estate sale. I had to clean it on the inside last week after it stopped working, good as new. 😀
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline strick

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 10:03:31 AM »
These boats sure dont last very long in the for sale sections especially if they are priced reasonable...talked to a fella yesterday in Alabama that sold his in one day...There was one in medford that I should have snagged but missed out...I'm still researching and thats the reason I've been slow to pull the trigger..I cant decide if I want to find a old style one piece or the escape....looks like the escape 2 is not very popular from the posts I read? I'm guessing that one just came out in the last year or so? The company does not post any info on facebook in many years and I wonder why...Aquachigger says in a video that some of the 3 piece models sprat water up from the joints? I've been searching old posts with the little time I have at night or early in the morning....any advice is really appreciated fellas...Thanks!

Chuck