$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Windshield hinge lanyard

Author Topic: Windshield hinge lanyard  (Read 156 times)

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 20
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
Windshield hinge lanyard
« on: August 30, 2019, 09:24:36 PM »
Hi folks:

Just finished installing my windshield, which is identical to the one Tom sells, other than my hinge has a total of four screws holding it on. I chose a clevis pin that's a snug fit, but hinge still pivots fine.

Problem I'm having is getting a good grip on the pin to remove.  I didn't think my hands were larger than average, but it's not easy getting those things in and out at the angle the windshield rest.

For now I just took a zip tie, and put it around the pin, which allows me to pull on something, and that's making things a lot easier.

Since there's a ton of these windshields out there, I'm sure somebody has come up with a solution to make insertion and removal easier, as while as something to perhaps hold the pin so it doesn't get lost, although just putting it back in the separated hinge seems to work well enough for me.
Best,
Troy

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 47
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
Re: Windshield hinge lanyard
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 09:43:50 PM »
Looks good. Tom installed similar on our 2010's and sometimes they can be difficult to remove. I recently moved my right side over to cover my throttle hand from getting sprayed, which puts the windshield at more of an angle and even harder to remove the pin at times. I remove my windshields when traveling but not really necessary. I lost a pin while heading home and just find it more comforting to know they are in my vehicle. I usually put the pins in my storage compartment behind the seat, and keep a few extra in there for spares.
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 11:52:46 PM »
Looks like I'm not the only one who came up with the zip tie idea as a pull. I'm sure it would be a good idea to keep a few spare clevis pins on hard. On the 2.0 they are now using clevis pins for the hood cover, so yesterday I just installed some wire or otherwise created a lanyard for those. I also moved my windshield forward, so will see how this works out. I like a really open cockpit.

Fortunately on the 2.0 I can remove the entire steering box, but there's plenty of good thin gloves out there as well for when the temps dip. Much lower than 60 I pack it in anyway. Guess I'm  getting old :)
Best,
Troy

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »
I've been using the zip ties on the clevis pins for many years, works great. Making pin insertion easier you have to grind the end of the pin into more of a taper, you can also open the hinge holes slightly by enlarging them.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »
Thanks Tom. I will try putting a small taper on the pins today. I think before I mess around with enlarging the openings, I would probably go to a smaller diameter pin, but I really don't want things rattling around either. The taper sounds like a smart move. As always, great advice!
Best,
Troy