$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Stomp Grate - Modification Inquiry

Author Topic: Stomp Grate - Modification Inquiry  (Read 162 times)

Offline Californiamokai

• Cool Points: 8
  • Engine: RS SP-210 w/17 ES
  • Model Year: 2006
Stomp Grate - Modification Inquiry
« on: August 29, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »
Existing Tom’s stomp grate is currently hinged and supported at back of opening.  Long term problem in grassy/weed environment is it then easily becomes entangled at that ‘hinge location’ and only way to remove is with extended on board rake or beaching to extract.

Reversing Tom’s hold down point to the front, in lieu of the back, would allow this type of debris to fall away when device is actuated.  Anyone have any experience with this modification to the existing support location?  Tight lines, John

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Stomp Grate - Modification Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 11:01:03 PM »
I considered that when I was designing this, but with the intake tunnel being so thin I didn't want to drill holes and mount the hinge point to it. Felt like that could have led to long term issues with cracks that I didn't want to risk. I get what you are experiencing though, I've been there myself. I've also been stuck with a totally plugged stock grate, so anytime I can use the stomp grate to clear things enough to at least have some thrust I consider that a win. I power to shore, clear what the grate couldn't, and continue on. Better than paddling.

I could have made the grate still bolt to the same mount, but hinged the opening tines from the front; but there would have only been two that moved then and that wouldn't be very effective either. Or maybe it would? Who knows. lol
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Californiamokai

• Cool Points: 8
  • Engine: RS SP-210 w/17 ES
  • Model Year: 2006
Re: Stomp Grate - Modification Inquiry
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 12:18:28 PM »
As usual Tom, sage advice and now understand that fastening point location. I guess for those of us that travel in weedy environment, we should view usage of the stomp grate as a “emergency means” to unplug a fully clogged inlet that at least gives you some power to move. Thx again for your insight on this. John