$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; ES-Kape 2.0 Carburetor linkage set-up for governor removal.

Author Topic: ES-Kape 2.0 Carburetor linkage set-up for governor removal.  (Read 713 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: ES-Kape 2.0 Carburetor linkage set-up for governor removal.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 07:58:46 PM »
How about a picture of the empty wear ring housing? I find it hard to believe that is tapered now. The ring was not tapered evenly, that was done by hand by somebody.

Thanks for the tach link. I tired one that looked like that a couple years ago (had the replaceable battery door on back) but it wouldn't work through a connector with an extension. I'll give it a try again since it seems to work for you.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 09:17:36 PM »
It's tapered, and then for about 1/4" to 3/8" is straight closest to the outside. The machining on the wear ring is pretty poor. Not sure how well the pics will show this, but here's a few to view.  I tried to get a view to show the taper, but camera flattens out 3 D objects without good light to show the angle.  I drew the cross section on paper for a better feel of what it looks like.The 1st dark line in the housing is where the straight section ends, then it tapers from there.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:28:38 PM by Mokai Dreamin' »
Best,
Troy

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 09:40:12 PM »
Yup, there was no good reason to do that besides making it more difficult for me to make one. They've gone out of their way trying to get rid of me in every aspect. The pump is even with the bottom of the hull now so a pump guard isn't possible either. It's a shame they hate me so much. They've done some really stupid things out of spite, truly ridiculous.    ::)

Thanks for the pics and all the info you've shared.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »
I believe the tapered shape would allow for easier removal, so I can see some justification for it. The other option for easier removal would have been a slightly smaller diameter ring, but deeper than the housing so the pump puts pressure against it as it gets locked in.  I think this is pretty much what you did.

I can see for Mokai's customers it being a real pain to hammer out the old ring, so I'm not sure their motivation was solely against you. They use to have to manufacture a special tool, so in some ways this is cheaper and  easier for them, and better for the customer.

Just an alternative perspective. Whether I'm correct or not I don't know. I appreciate your frustration regardless.
Best,
Troy

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 10:13:06 PM »
I have a stock plastic ring I use for testing occasionally since some impellers are larger than others, I machined it to my specs and it slips in and out just fine like my aluminum one. They could have just done the same thing. I agree the motivation may not have been solely to hinder me, but if you understood how those people really felt about me you would see a pattern to so many of the changes made. lol
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com