$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; 2.0 Review

Author Topic: 2.0 Review  (Read 784 times)

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 18
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
Re: 2.0 Review
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 04:00:37 PM »
A few more things to add to the review:

I originally said that the harmony kayak console would not fit the 2.0, but thinking about that it seemed kind of crazy that Mokai would purposely make a new mold just to increase the cockpit by a few inches. A new mold would be expensive. So, I took the bolts out of the harmony kayak console and slid it in from the bow towards the Stern, and with a little persuasion, it fits!

I also mentioned there is a handle attached to the cockpit front, and looking at some old photographs it appears it was there on the version 1 as well. The new handle is a bit beefier however, but apparently is not brand-new ideal at least. This is where Mokai wants for you to tie the boat down btw. Handle at the very front of the bow is now webbing, with a rubber grip.

I also spoke with Rick this morning from Mokai. Rick did most of the testing for the new model. He even went so far as to put lead weights in the back of the boat to simulate different weigh loads as Rick is about 150 pounds. He consistently got over 20 mph. Apparently some servos were not programmed properly, and the boat was not reaching full throttle. So they are in the process of reprogramming all of the new ones.

There were enough complaints about water coming up over the back that they have decided to go back to a one-piece lid with a better cold air intake. Apparently the current design had issues with this. Rick said it's quite stylish fwiw!

Throttle servo is now not only more robust, but waterproof. They admitted there was a little quality control issue with the electronics and advised me to check my terminal block in the joystick box. Sure enough a couple of them were a little bit loose. I also thought originally there was no O-ring, but there is in fact an O-ring on the side cover. Extremely precise fit, and no way water is getting in there.

I chatted with Tom a little bit about the overdrive box. I was thinking that since there is now a gear ratio there, that you could spin the impeller faster than the engine. While this is correct to a degree, you can quickly overtax the engine by trying to push that too much. Seems like somewhere around 4300 rpm's is maxed out in the 2.0. Mokai played around with lots of different ratios btw during testing, according to Rick.

I can also say that while this boat may start out at about 3750/3780  (4546 impeller speed) it quickly drops down to about 3520 after a few miles. That puts the RPMs at 4224. All else being equal, the ES-Kape 1 modified with EX-17 head, watercooled, etc. is actually capable of greater speed as it's 30+ pounds lighter. The 4200 in the version 2 is probably sustainable as well without modifications, so  may end up being a little cheaper in terms of total price, but  you do give up storage to a degree as it's already maxed out for weight.
If Tom can cool, and keep the 2.0 cool, it should outperform the version 1, but that's a bit "if" right now.

This boat is also never going to be as functional as earlier versions due to the extra weight.
My decision to purchase was largely due to availability and  the need for greater speed. Earlier models are probably still a  better value  if you can find em and wiling to upgrade.  For somebody who just wants to buy and go , and  is less concerned with getting into the shallows, etc. I think this boat is going to be fine.

The electronics are still better on the 2.0 if you plan to keep em.

George  ( hillbilly)  ask to see some images of the pump and the clearance underneath , so here you go George. 

I hit the bottom of the river yesterday ,  which had a lot of small pebbles. I  hit pretty hard too, so  took a couple photos of the underside to see where the boat hit.  I should be seeing something on the plastic nozzle or pump, but  I think there's actually more around the grate. Right now water is exceptionally low in my area. A few feet to the right of where I hit bottom and it was 18 inches. Know your river! 

Cheers,

Best,
Troy

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 10:31:32 AM »
Thanks, Troy

Pictures very helpful.  Looking forward to following your story with this boat.  I'll bet your initial review is the best one written on the 2.0.

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 18
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 02:46:12 PM »
Some additional specs for those of interest:

I just pulled the engine out of the boat this morning.

Weight of engine including clutch and gas line is 66.8 pounds.

Gas tank with a bit over 2 gallons, is weighing 21.2 lbs.

Cheers,
Best,
Troy