$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Checking pump lifehack

Author Topic: Checking pump lifehack  (Read 490 times)

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 16
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
Checking pump lifehack
« on: March 07, 2019, 01:53:10 PM »
Wanted to share something. During 3 seasons of use I've been periodically checking for possible ingress of water into pump in two ways. Weighing it - presence of water would naturally increase the weight. In a long run that's pretty certain to detect water accumulation, but   that might miss small amount of water just starting to accumulate.  Hence I also adopted a routine of shaking and listening for moving water inside.  On paper that should work, but it's a bit tentative because since I have never actually had in my hands a pump partly filled with  water as reference. 

Anyhoo, yesterday we had temperatures substantially below freezing and as I was walking across the parking lot and mentally bitching about the unseasonably cold weather, I've thought that this cold can be useful for checking for presence of water in the pump. No idea why I suddenly thought about that... So, I left the pump out overnight to freeze potential water ( I am quite sure that my pump is not filled with large amount of water - don't try to do what I did unless you are sure!). In the morning I shook it to hear exactly the same as before - pretty much nothing. Shaft was still rotating with smoothly. In hindsight I should have left pump in unbalanced state  so that I could check for change in balance while was warming up. Maybe next winter :)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Checking pump lifehack
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 02:28:04 PM »
Stock pumps will always end up with water inside if used regularly. I've been through close to 200 pumps so far, and most of them had water pour out. The ones that were dry were typically rarely used, or new. If your pump is full of water, and you let it freeze... there is definitely a risk of cracking the housing, and that is not repairable. Glad you got lucky. When you are tired of worrying about it, just send it down to be rebuilt with my oil lube conversion. Nothing to worry about after that.
 ;)
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverman

• Cool Points: 19
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 11:41:51 AM »
Hey Tom what would that cost if I was to send my pump to you for that work and rough time line
Thanks
Dean

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 06:51:43 PM »
Pump rebuild is $85, if the shaft needs to be re-splined or converted to spline then add $50. Prices + shipping.  Turnaround is 1-2 days.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverman

• Cool Points: 19
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 12:31:37 AM »
Sounds good, I think its time to get it done, it does look  much more reliable to me. 

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 12:34:39 AM »
No problem, shoot me an email when you are ready to send it. painlesstom@improvingyourmokai.com  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Ctmokai

• Cool Points: 5
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 06:21:43 PM »
Highly recommend, I had one boat done. then the next season started up both boats and noticed right away the other boats pump was making a noise. No worries now 😁