$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Honda motor swap

Author Topic: Honda motor swap  (Read 482 times)

Offline trebleplink

• Cool Points: 0
  • Engine: Hoda '03
  • Model Year: 2003
Honda motor swap
« on: March 02, 2019, 09:22:15 AM »
Hi folks,

Chris here from Bowling Green, Ky.   Just returned yesterday from Acworth, GA where I bought my 2008 Mokai.   I'm experienced with boats and motors but know very little about servicing the Mokai.  And my co clerk wants the Maximum registration fee because it's an inboard!

Anyway I'm wondering if there is any kind of service manual available?

It has a 2003? Honda motor.   New motors look pretty reasonable and I'm wondering about how-plug-and-play swapping would be.

Honda Horizontal OHC Engine 187cc, GC Series, 3/4in. x 2 7/16in. Shaft, Model# GC190LAQHGF-BLK

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200327077_200327077?adv=false&cm_mmc=Google-pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwND_mJHd2wIVjLXACh0NAwVeEAQYBCABEgI9OPD_BwE&utm_campaign=Honda%20Engines&utm_content=60694&utm_medium=Engines%20%26gt%3B%20Honda%20Horizontal%20Engines%20%26gt%3B%20121Cc%20-%20240Cc%20Honda%20Horizontal%20Engines&utm_source=Google_PLA

Is this the correct motor?

Is the shaft coupling the same?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Honda motor swap
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 11:15:33 AM »
Hey Chris, welcome to the club.

That's the correct motor, but are you changing it because there is something wrong with yours or are you just wanting a new one? Have you had it on the water yet?

Service manual is about worthless, so just post your questions and I'll answer them for you.

I have some good Honda engines here from conversions I've done, nothing wrong with them and you are welcome to one for the cost of shipping. Usually around $50.

The pump shaft coupling on your crank gets swapped over to the new motor.

Ultimately you will end up wanting the Subaru EX21, electric start is worth it's weight in gold. Charging system too.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline trebleplink

• Cool Points: 0
  • Engine: Hoda '03
  • Model Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 11:59:36 AM »
Thanks.

Electric start would be really nice, but I gather the Subaru conversion is pretty expensive.   The existing motor runs - but I'm wanting best reliability, since I can't paddle upstream. 

Added:  Honda brags on the quietness of that new motor - that's something that the boat really needs- a super quiet muffler.

I might take you up on a motor.   I like your pump rebuild.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:04:36 PM by trebleplink »

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 12:44:30 PM »
The basic conversion with pump rebuild and clutch is in the $1200 range.

That new motor isn't going to be any more quiet than the one you have since you have to use your muffler anyhow. The new muffler does not redirect the exhaust up and out of the hood.

The Honda motors will last for a very long time if maintained. The parts that typically wear out are the governor arm, pull start rope, muffler, and carb issues from lack of use and ethanol fuel. The actual engine itself is pretty tough, just very anemic.

Let me know when you're ready for the pump work, might be able to combine return shipping with that motor I mentioned, to save you some $$.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com