$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Clutch question ?

Author Topic: Clutch question ?  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Ctmokai

• Cool Points: 5
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2010
Clutch question ?
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:41:32 AM »
First I would like to say having neutral is great ! The only thing I was missing was the low idol speed. I believe it was Tom that made a post that said to just let the clutch "slip". So on my last run I tried it and it works great. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced negative effects ? Just doesn't feel rite doing it. But it does make the Painless Clutch a 100% recommendation !

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Clutch question ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »
I know you are wanting to hear what others have to say and I hope they chime in too, but to answer your question..

Doing what you mentioned might not "feel right" lol.. but it's not going to hurt anything unless you purposefully keep it in that zone all day, non stop. I've "slipped" my clutch over and over for 10-15 minutes at a time without problem. The pump shaft isn't being held so the "slipping" action is low friction since the drum part is still able to move, compared to if the drum was being held by a wheel on the ground, or a brake.

I troll for catfish and have worked my clutch in the twilight zone for 1/4 mile at a time, it's fine.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline MAXTORQUE

• Cool Points: 14
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:05:29 AM »
Slipping the clutch is "OK" when all you are turning is an impeller and the only restriction is the water which is very little load on the clutch.  Most clutches are on go karts or mini-bikes and you got several factors that will cause the clutch to heat up and give you problems.  The weight of the kart, weight of the driver, and size of the tire making contact to the ground, and worst of all a brake pedal which new drivers use equally with the gas pedal.  You have none of those problems to build up heat in the clutch.  Next clutch problem is the oilite bushing which constantly needs to be lubricated in a standard fun kart clutch.  Not present on Tom's design because he incorporated a top of the line roller bearing that is seal and needs no lubrication. 

I worked with many companies and individual over the years and  I would put Tom up there with a perfectionist that wants the top of the line quality and he does all the R & D.  He doesn't stop with his first idea and is always striving for the ultimate.  Max-Torque is a clutch manufacturer and job shop building anything the customer wants and is willing to pay for.  The Mokai is a very fine well constructed and nicely done boat.  All Tom wants to do is add to the design an option that he feels makes it one notch better.  Mokai is constantly coming out with improvements and never stops updating and I find that Tom is also doing the same. 

Mokai makes announcements they will introduce something new and be on the alert and I can say the same is true about Tom.  I don't know where he finds the time to do all the design changes and modifications he comes up with.  Without tooting Tom's horn to loud, keep posted for his latest design change and modification.  If you think his bilge pump idea is neat wait until he unveils his next beauty!!!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:26:25 PM by MAXTORQUE »

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:33:33 PM »
Thanks Jim, couldn't have done any of this without your support.  :)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline watercat

• Cool Points: 2
  • Engine: 22hp race
  • Model Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »
How do i slip my clutch? Do you mean just barely at some power verses full lock up? you must?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 09:28:46 PM »
Yup.. Slip it, feather it, the twilight zone.. however you'd like to refer to it, it won't hurt anything.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com