$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Subaru Oil Level

Shop Talk > General Tips & Repairs

Subaru Oil Level

(1/4) > >>

Painlesstom:
These pictures should clarify the oil level for everyone who screws the dipstick in to check. The video shows how to check without screwing the dipstick in. You choose which one makes you feel warm and fuzzy.  \./8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIbO9W5iV24

Maritimer:
Now I'm confused. The Subaru owner's manual shows the maximum and minimum levels to be at the hash marks at the top and bottom of the stick. Their diagram indicates that the bottom of the threads is the minimum and the max is right at the opening.

Painlesstom:
Subaru doesn't test their engines in a boat at an angle. Filling the motor to the "full" mark and you will end up with full throttle spitting, sputtering, smoking and sometimes even idle issues.  The level I showed is what's worked best in all the engines I've run in real world testing. The problems don't show up immediately, you could run a few miles before power drops off and strange things happen. The mark I made should be considered the "full" mark.

bizler:
The dip stick you've shown appears to be void of threads.  This would imply that the measurement would normally be made with the dip stick screwed in against the gasket. Is this correct?

Personally, I use the eyeball method; keeping the level at the neck just beyond the threads in the crankcase and checking it often.

Bill

Maritimer:

--- Quote from: Painlesstom on August 10, 2017, 03:56:00 PM ---Subaru doesn't test their engines in a boat at an angle. Filling the motor to the "full" mark and you will end up with full throttle spitting, sputtering, smoking and sometimes even idle issues.  The level I showed is what's worked best in all the engines I've run in real world testing. The problems don't show up immediately, you could run a few miles before power drops off and strange things happen. The mark I made should be considered the "full" mark.

--- End quote ---

I think you just explained the performance problems I had after my first oil change! Thanks!!  :)

== Steve R. ==

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version