$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; New owner!

Author Topic: New owner!  (Read 31669 times)

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 32
  • Engine: Subaru KX17, 7hp
  • Model Year: 2012
Re: New owner!
« Reply #495 on: June 26, 2020, 06:35:46 PM »
I was in Happul3ís stomping ground today, at the Susquehanna River. Drove over an hour to Blue Rock Boat Launch, only to find out the water was pretty low, and there was a lot of river grass. It was already after 3pm, so I bagged it.

Not a total loss though, as I talked to the local Conservation Officer for about 30 minutes! He was very familiar with the Mokaiís, ( I wonder why ), and had lots of information about the river, as well as some funny stories.

I am 100% ď pro cop ď and thanked him for his service. He was very happy to hear that, with all the negativity towards police right now.

Iím hoping to get to a local river this weekend.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 62
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #496 on: June 26, 2020, 07:10:09 PM »
Very cool! Too bad you didn't get any river time in though. Nice to make friends with LEO's, most of them are great people that give more than is asked of them.  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 18
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #497 on: June 27, 2020, 09:01:29 AM »
Very glad to hear you are about to get back to enjoying the water. Incidentally, I haven't been to that part of Susquehanna, it is almost 2h drive for me, but it is in my vague plans :)

Offline Larry

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 24
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2007/2007
« Reply #498 on: June 27, 2020, 09:32:08 AM »
I go to the Goldsboro launch on the Susq. The river is deeper there. It's across from TMI at Newberrytown, Pa just off of I-83. Between York and Harrisburg.

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #499 on: June 27, 2020, 08:23:43 PM »
Yes, I like Pequea ( limited parking ), and Muddy Creek.

Sorry Hap, I got you mixed up with the guy in Marietta. I was only a couple miles south of him.

I was out on the Schuylkill River today, and had a great time. Perhaps I got my seasons wrong though. There are so many friggen LEAVES!

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #500 on: July 03, 2020, 08:59:09 PM »
I hit the upper Schuylkill River today, near Reading Pa.

Lack of rain meant very low water, and several times I had to drag the boat behind me. Unfortunately the river grass is in full swing, so several clogs too.
Iíll have to check my grate, as I nailed a rock going down some rapids. It stopped me cold, right on the grate!

Max water depth was two feet, but I didnít have much trouble.

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 54
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #501 on: July 03, 2020, 09:03:51 PM »
All part of getting to those out of the way places I guess.
Have you ever metal detected that area?
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #502 on: July 03, 2020, 11:53:10 PM »
Iíll definitely be going back with my detector! Lots of 1800ís homes there, and Iím sure there were plenty of 1700ís homes as well.

I was planning on going on the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia, but I decided the holiday weekend wasnít the safest time for that. Lots of large boats with drunk owners......

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #503 on: July 05, 2020, 05:00:48 PM »
Well, after two hours of driving trying to find a ramp I could park in, I finally found one. Put the detector & supplies in the boat, and waited for my turn.
I decided to start it up on the trailer, as I just greased it, and it went KLUNK! Uh oh......I checked everything I could, wires etc, but would not turn over. Then I pulled the shaft out, but still the same.
I canceled my outing and went home.

Iíll pull the motor out this week and check it better. The first thing will be the oil level.

Any thoughts? Sound familiar to anyone?

I would work on it now, but itís VERY HOT OUT!

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #504 on: July 05, 2020, 05:50:22 PM »
Maybe check your battery to see if it's holding a charge?
Way to HOT for me too. Almost wish it were -10 degrees and the Polar-Vortex was back. Lol
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #505 on: July 06, 2020, 08:28:03 AM »
Very sorry to hear about the problem with motor. I assume that "would not turn over" means that when you press starter button nothing happens (not only the motor does not start, but the starter does not turn it either). Just as Chuck has pointed out, battery is the first thing I'd check. Measure voltage on the terminals with multimeter. If it is less than 12V, the battery is either fully discharged or permanently dead - so the next step is charge or replace (or use jumper cables and another battery).  If you measure something like 12.5V or above that likely means that the battery is reasonably charged, but it does not guarantee that. What you can do is to measure voltage _while_ the starter button is pressed (ask someone else to help and do it only for a second or two). If the voltage is still the same, you must have an issue with battery-to-starter electrical connection or a dead starter motor. Alternatively, the voltage could drop quite a bit and bounce back when the start button is released. That would mean that something is blocking the rotation. See if you can rotate the motor shaft by hand, it should be moderately tough to move, but still rotatable (all you need is a small fraction of a turn). If it is completely immovable, the problem is inside the motor and it will have to  be opened up. Hopefully, it won't come to that. Good luck!

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #506 on: July 06, 2020, 08:44:47 AM »
I forgot that stock motors have recoil starter (removed mine long time ago). So just try starting motor with it. If it does start, you proceed to further pinpoint the problem to battery or starter motor or solenoid or just wiring. If you cannot rotate at all, the problem is within the motor...

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #507 on: July 06, 2020, 09:08:08 AM »
Define "KLUNK" and we'll go from there. lol Pull starter still functional? Too bad the trip was scrubbed, one thing I always do before loading up to leave is to check gas, start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes, and grease the hull bearing. If I have to add gas I pull the motor and check the oil level. Use that routine and you'll likely never go somewhere and have to cancel. Let me know what you find.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-CODER

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #508 on: July 06, 2020, 09:56:58 AM »
Tom, I started doing everything you described, especially starting the engine before driving an 1 hr to the launch. Guess I should be
     more diligent and check the oil too.
     I've heard that "Klunk" quite a few times, but it usually starts on the 2nd or 3rd try afterwards. Never paid it much attention but my
     novice mechanic mind thought it might be the compression or something inside the engine had to reset?

Craig, since Tom just recently had it running great for you, hopefully and probably something simple. He'll get you back out there
     detecting after this heatwave. Lol
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #509 on: July 06, 2020, 10:27:34 AM »
What you are experiencing, Chuck, is the higher compression combined with a reduced compression release function. A couple taps of the key will bump it over and let it start fine. Sounds like he has a dead battery.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com