$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; New owner!

Author Topic: New owner!  (Read 12713 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: New owner!
« Reply #270 on: October 19, 2019, 10:26:04 PM »
Yeah, probably not.  :(
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 47
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #271 on: October 19, 2019, 11:08:39 PM »
Hang in there Craig, I think a lot of us can feel your pain.  :-O
I chased a stalling issue for the first two seasons as well as additional cracks here and there before really enjoying a worry free year. Hope it's something simple and you stay with us for a long time, always enjoy your reports.
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: Subaru KX17, 7hp
  • Model Year: 2012
« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2019, 09:17:29 AM »
Iím sure Iíll be keeping the Mokai. I did a little research, and there is NOTHING like it. I just need it to be dependable, so I think Iíll be getting a new motor from Tom, with all new upgrades.
I just noticed that my clutch isnít working right either, itís pumping a lot of water out at idle. Everything needs to be new!

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2019, 11:47:15 AM »
As I knew it would, it started right up & ran fine ( nothing removed ). I canít check the cooling system out of the water, and itís pouring today, so that can wait. Iím going to put a new fuel filter on, as this one looks dirty. I assume any similar one will do?

I donít see that anything broke. I think it was my paddle shifting next to the seat.

Iím also going to empty the fuel tank, in case there is any water in it. Iíve never done that.

Iíd like to take it out a few more times before sending it to Tom, so we will see. And yes, itís official, Iím keeping it and getting a new engine with all new upgrades. :)🤗🤗

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 46
  • Engine: EX21 W/EX17 Head
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #274 on: October 20, 2019, 02:09:59 PM »
Just a thought, check to see that the spark plug cap is solidly screwed ono the plug. If it is loose, it will cause backfiring and misses until it comes off and kills the engine.  I have had this happen.  The cap came off and stuck in the wire plug.  I had a devil of a time getting it out with the tools I had with me. I found an Allen wrench that I jammed into the thread and ulled it out.  Once I had it, I turned it around and screwed the good thread back on the plug and I was on my way again.

At home I replaced the spark plug and secured the cap by running a set screw into the cap against the plug screw. Problem fixed.

Bill

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #275 on: October 20, 2019, 02:37:26 PM »
As I knew it would, it started right up & ran fine ( nothing removed ). I canít check the cooling system out of the water, and itís pouring today, so that can wait. Iím going to put a new fuel filter on, as this one looks dirty. I assume any similar one will do?

I donít see that anything broke. I think it was my paddle shifting next to the seat.

Iím also going to empty the fuel tank, in case there is any water in it. Iíve never done that.

Iíd like to take it out a few more times before sending it to Tom, so we will see. And yes, itís official, Iím keeping it and getting a new engine with all new upgrades. :)🤗🤗

Glad to hear that, these are some really tough motors and it's hard to kill one. Just out of curiosity, is your kill switch hooked up and working? Thinking the paddle shifting could have knocked the safety key out shutting the motor off then the paddle noise sounded ominous? Just had to throw that out there, entirely possible! I've had people call me several times while on the river because their motor shut off and it wouldn't start, and when I asked about the safety kill lanyard that ended up being the problem. Either the switch went bad, or they knocked it off etc.. So check that out.

I use this fuel filter and cut the first barbed section off each end. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/prime-line-fuel-filter-universal-clear-see-thru-plastic-dual-diameter-push-on-hose-connections-3-16-1-4-7-02323/11132819-P?searchTerm=fuel+filter

What is your idle rpm at? Clutch engages at 1900 rpm, so either your idle is too high or the clutch spring has broken. Clutch can be rebuilt, so no need for a new one, if there really is a problem with it.  \./8

Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #276 on: October 20, 2019, 04:01:38 PM »
I think the clutch is fine. I had the set screw a little tight on the joystick, so it was probably not at idle. It was fine today in my garage.
The safety is bad, so itís been disconnected for a while now. Iím not worried about it, as itís really hard to fall out of these things!

Iím going to be sending you the engine soon, so thereís no point in buying stuff for it now. Iíll test the exhaust system too.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #277 on: October 20, 2019, 04:10:21 PM »
I'd want the muffler along with the engine, so test it or not it's fine either way. I'll get you back to 100%. Roger on the tension screw, didn't think it was an issue with the clutch.  ;D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #278 on: October 26, 2019, 03:05:08 AM »
Do you need the mounting plate too? For the re-worked feet.

Iím going to the Pa. dealer for Runaway Campers Saturday, as Iím thinking of buying one. With the engine out, I can put it on top of the camper.
 The Susquehanna River is nearby, so Iím going to bring the boat too. I think it will work fine, but Iíll go upstream just in case.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #279 on: October 26, 2019, 08:02:32 AM »
Mounting plate stays in boat, never any reason to remove that.  ;)

Hope the trip goes well!
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #280 on: October 26, 2019, 05:27:19 PM »
Trip went well, until I put the boat in.......Started up the Susquehanna, and power faded fast, then died. Time to take your advice. A friend is going to help me clean the carb the right way next weekend, and check the wiring on the motor. If that doesnít do it, Iíll pack it up and send it to Georgia.
I may be buying one of those campers soon!

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 18
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #281 on: October 26, 2019, 05:49:30 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Craig. Did you see any water leaking out the muffler? If the motor run well out of the water, but dies quickly in the water the water leaking internally in the muffler sounds plausible. I wonder if disconnecting water supply line temporarily is possible (I don't have water-cooled muffler myself). Or it could have something to do with load, which is present while on water and isn't when running on land.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #282 on: October 26, 2019, 08:00:43 PM »
Too bad, sorry to hear that. Make sure your fuel and vent lines were hooked up? You can email as many pictures as you like so I can help to see if something obvious pops out. painlesstom@improvingyourmokai.com

For water to cause this the muffler would have to be so rusted through that it damaged the copper coils wrapped around it, that would be very visible during an inspection and he said it appeared to be fine. Not sure how detailed of inspection he did though so it would still be a possibility, but something that bad would be hard to miss.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Craig5251

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #283 on: October 26, 2019, 10:43:54 PM »
Uh, um, uh........I just looked at the motor, and the water line for the muffler was disconnected. Water must have been shooting all over the engine.
That wasnít the problem in DC though, so Iíll check everything tomorrow.

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 47
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #284 on: October 26, 2019, 11:13:51 PM »
I did that one time, just once. Also left the wear ring in the housing after a trip, drove an hour home and it was still there....whew! Also, I ran over my winshield with the trailer. And...forgot to install the pump too. At least I haven't had one of those epic launch Fails like forgetting to put my vehicle in park and watching it sink into the abyss. Lol
Since then I have made a checklist for before and after launching, and don't stop to answer the "What is That" question. Lol
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 11:20:25 PM by CC-Coder »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️