$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Stik Boat

Author Topic: Stik Boat  (Read 2087 times)

waverunner and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline niteshft

• Cool Points: 5
  • Engine: honda GC190
  • Model Year: 2007
Re: Stik Boat
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 11:20:39 PM »
 Still looking for an update if anyone has one.
Thanks!

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 24
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 08:55:55 PM »
Thought I post a little info for anybody interested in the second-generation of the Stik.

First off, it appears that Aquanami opened a plant in Houston Texas, and Stik appears to have gone belly up. All I see is a bunch of 404 errors when attempting to access their website, so I'm assuming they are no longer pursuing things. Aquanami is the main player responsible for the boat to begin with, and my understanding is they were pretty disappointed with Stik and their claim that the boat was there design.

So,  no concrete facts, but I have a feeling they just went their separate ways.  Aquanami is still setting up dealerships, and is  I think G5 marine in  Florida is still selling boats.

As of February 2020,  Aquanami has a new boat or second-generation.  Price  went up from  $4850 to over $7200. Big jump.

New boat is a little bit wider, and a little bit taller, but still no bigger than a Mokai. I think I saw around 39 inches on the width.

I asked Dan, who is the European representative just exactly what they did, and his first response to me was rather vague. I wanted to know specifically if they had done anything to deal with the tracking and cavitation issues, and the answer was yes they did.

He sent me a picture of the new hull design and clearly they went to more of a semi V, and it now appears there's a couple of keels or what they are calling "speed rails". See pic. This is quite a departure from the original design, and it should help a lot.

Overall still has the same engine, and associated problems I presume. Thin wire gauge, inadequate clamps, poor alloys, to name a few. They were supposed to use off-the-shelf Yamaha parts for the pump, but I can't seem to get a straight answer about the pump. As far as I know there still is no wear ring-- you have to change out the whole housing. Free parts for a year, but after that you pay out of pocket. 1 year warranty.

Seems awfully expensive with only minor upgrades, but I figured I'd post the new info for anyone interested.

https://www.aquanamiusa.com/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0V-CTqAjtM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0V-CTqAjtM</a>
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:01:18 PM by Mokai Dreamin' »
Best,
Troy

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 23
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 10:23:08 PM »
Hey Troy,  Nice post on the Stik.  I went on their website a couple of months ago out of curiosity.    The new little one would be a lot of fun, but not much room for fishing stuff.   I noticed in the video's that a lot of the clips showed the 2017 model with a few of the guys in the video's that started The Kick-starter promo.

From the back of the full size 2020, it does look like they change the profile of the bottom, just wonder how far forward it extends.   Did they indicate whether the hull is a little thicker?

I like the assorted compartment on the 2019 rather than the new design.  The compartments give you more storage room.

I just went out and measured the width on my 2017, it's the same as the 2020 spec's at 38" inches.    The hull does look a little deeper overall, but they don't offer that dimension in  the spec's.

Irregardless of the spec differences, I like the old 2017 as well as the 2020.  Boy, the price tag has sure jumped up.

I'm still trying to sell mine with trailer and a lot of gear.   Basically just advertising on the west coast.   Money's probably a little tight for most people right now, so I'll just sit on it for awhile.  No hurry.  As soon as my lake opens up I alternate using it with my 2020 bass  boat.

John

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 11:38:55 PM »
Yeah, Stik spent a much of money on marketing, so Aquanami took full advantage.  I really don't know the relationship between those two now, but reading between the lines I don't think it's good. I looked at the specs as well on the site and the old one was 37.8 wide, new one is 38",  so, I guess technically they can say it's wider, ha ha.

Considering what you can buy these days for $7200, particularly when it comes to used boats, I think they're going to have tough sell.

Once again, I was just posting for information purposes. The V-hull seems to be the biggest upgrade.

Best,
Troy

Offline niteshft

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 06:12:43 AM »
 The price of the original went to $6600 because of the tariffs so I think that's the main reason for the higher sticker price of the new model. The tariffs kicked in before mine arrived and I was hit with a $1200 bill at customs.
 Dan mentioned to me that they were going to stock a warehouse in Texas but never mentioned anything about manufacturing them there. If so, that could also affect the cost of manufacturing and therefore, the overall cost.

In any case, the price just isn't worth what you get. Then take into consideration the difficulty of getting anything fixed when something goes wrong... >:(

They had the planning issue fixed with my model...they had changed the angle of the jet. I had mine out yesterday and there were no issues with cavitation at all.

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »
They are still being manufactured in China. I just think that Aquanami was pretty soured at Stik for claiming the boat was their own doing, when clearly it was not. It appears to me that Stik went belly up, although places like G5 marine are still carrying the boat as a distributor. I think Aquanami would allow others to become dealers as well if they pass the criteria for doing so.

I don't recall there being a major issue with planing. You could adjust the ride plate with the shims provided. As long as water was smooth you didn't get cavitation, but with any kind of a mild chop that thing would suck up air like a Hoover.

It appears with a couple of concave grooves they put down the length of the hull, it should track much better.

Totally agree it's overpriced, and I think I mentioned in a previous post that tariffs were going to rear their ugly head. Also agree that after the first year, people are really gonna have issues with repairs due to the substandard grade of parts used.

Anyway, like I said, I was just posting for information purposes. Maybe it will appeal to somebody. I'm not 100% satisfied with the 2.0 either, so seems like every boat has issues. In terms of build quality though, Mokai blows away the  Aquanami by leaps and bounds.
Best,
Troy

Offline niteshft

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 07:46:02 PM »
Thought I post a little info for anybody interested in the second-generation of the Stik.

First off, it appears that Aquanami opened a plant in Houston Texas, and Stik appears to have gone belly up. All I see is a bunch of 404 errors when attempting to access their website, so I'm assuming they are no longer pursuing things. Aquanami is the main player responsible for the boat to begin with, and my understanding is they were pretty disappointed with Stik and their claim that the boat was there design. 

https://www.aquanamiusa.com/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0V-CTqAjtM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0V-CTqAjtM</a>

I was the one that spoke to Aquanami last year about StikBoats. They, (Dan), said that Stik buys tons of boats and puts their own decals on them so, it's not like they were oblivious as to what was going on. Dan refused to discuss Stik's kickstarter or business model.

On another note, I have 3.5 hours on the JetAngler. I've gone through some whitewater and made tight turns with open throttle and have had no cavatation issues. Actually, this model doesn't use wedges. The need went away when they changed the jet angle.

The only issue I have with the boat at this moment is the width. Honestly, I felt much more sicure in the Mokai while sitting in the water line than above with the Angler. I wouldn't mind loosing a couple miles an hour for a bit more sicurity.

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 08:23:29 PM »
New boat is Dimensions: 149″ x 41″x16.1", Old model was 142″ x 38″x16.1.  I've been in touch with Dan as well, as I'm following the upgrades on this boat. They still have a ways to go, but making progress.

New boat now has open loop cooling, old was closed loop. No more heat exchanger. Tracking and cavitation issue should be better as well.  So, boat should also be a bit more stable being 3" wider.

Dan mentioned a 2 cylinder design for the future, so this thing is going to be more like a jet ski for speed. I think it could handle the extra weight.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:27:02 PM by Mokai Dreamin' »
Best,
Troy

Offline niteshft

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 09:19:46 AM »
A twin cylinder would be a great improvement to the one lunger it has, the vibration at low rpm sucks.

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 09:52:26 AM »
Well, the Mokai is not exactly a cloud nine ride! I have a very thick gel seat on my 2.0 or that thing will vibrate the brains out of your head. At least on the new version of the angler they did away with those hard plastic lids. Boat should be quieter.
Best,
Troy

Offline niteshft

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2020, 08:06:35 PM »
 I'm pissed. I was in the Kennebec River in Waterville, Maine...I was looking for Stripers and Shad. The water is high this year because of runoff from the high temps. Looking at the birds flying overhead, I could see where the alewives were and headed that way. All of a sudden, the water boild with fish all around my boat. Suddenly, I heard a rattling noise and I shut down the engine. A bit later, I tried to run and the noise was still there. I paddled to the shore and couldn't see what the issue was. I pushed out and started the engine and it sounded fine, the problem is I have no propulsion.
 I don't know what the prop is made of but it didn't hold up to chewing fish. When I got home I took the grate off to see if I could reach up and turn the prop. There was nothing there, all the blades had been ripped off. No wonder I didn't have any propulsion.
 I'm lost for more words.

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2020, 08:17:52 PM »
I'm pissed. I was in the Kennebec River in Waterville, Maine...I was looking for Stripers and Shad. The water is high this year because of runoff from the high temps. Looking at the birds flying overhead, I could see where the alewives were and headed that way. All of a sudden, the water boild with fish all around my boat. Suddenly, I heard a rattling noise and I shut down the engine. A bit later, I tried to run and the noise was still there. I paddled to the shore and couldn't see what the issue was. I pushed out and started the engine and it sounded fine, the problem is I have no propulsion.
 I don't know what the prop is made of but it didn't hold up to chewing fish. When I got home I took the grate off to see if I could reach up and turn the prop. There was nothing there, all the blades had been ripped off. No wonder I didn't have any propulsion.
 I'm lost for more words.
That's quite the story! OMG.

Impeller is made from aluminum, but they later came out with a stainless steel version.

I believe it takes four bolts to get the impeller housing off, and you need to disconnect I believe two hoses. It's about a 45 minute job. Hopefully you still have your splined impeller tool, as you'll need it to get the impeller off.  I can't remember if it's a reverse thread or not, but you may check with Dan. I'd use a lot of penetrating oil before attempting to remove. There is a spacer between impeller and bearing, don't lose it! And when it's back together make sure it spins freely before assembling.

I'm not so sure that a standard outboard prop would have survived much better, but the stainless steel one sure would have. Take a breath, collect your thoughts, and you'll get it taken care of in no time. No boat is perfect. When you have it apart check the housing to see if it is scored or there's any grooves in there as you may want to replace at the same time. There is no wear ring in these things.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 08:21:20 PM by Mokai Dreamin' »
Best,
Troy

Offline niteshft

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2020, 10:34:24 PM »
I emailed Dan and hopefully he w ill supply the parts. I asked if I could purchase a spare for future issues and how I could pay but I haven't heard yet.

It was like an "Alfred Hitchcock" moment, the water was boiling around me as the stripers were attacking the alwives. I thought I was going to sink into the river. lol I've never expereanced anything like it but hope to expereance it again. The fishing during those frenzeses can be great.

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2020, 11:06:36 PM »
You'll probably end up having to deal with Martin. "hu binhua" <hysports_martin@hotmail.com>I think they have a skeleton crew at Houston right now. Dan can put you in touch with the right people though. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.
Best,
Troy

Offline niteshft

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2020, 07:46:23 AM »
 I've been exchanging emails with Dan and isn't working out very well. He wants 76.50 for the impella and 96.00 for shipping,(euro).  >:D When I argued the boat was still under warranty the emails stopped. Hopefully he's just working out the logistics. I can see paying for a spare but it shouldn't cost me for a replacement. Heck, I only have 3.8 hours on this thing.