$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Cracked Aluminum Exhaust Bracket

Author Topic: Cracked Aluminum Exhaust Bracket  (Read 1662 times)

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
Re: Cracked Aluminum Exhaust Bracket
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 12:59:48 PM »
Thanks Tom.  I was planning on disconnecting it.  I do want to run it for a day to see what changes the sealed exhaust make, then I'll take the spring off.  I just wanted to make one change at a time and see how it responds.  I'd rather my throttle stay closed (idle) when cut off and bump it to cold start anyway.  I'll let you know what I notice as I test the sealed exhaust and the removed spring.

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 06:20:46 PM »
Tom,
    I ran it yesterday all day (3.5 hours of run time) with about a dozen or more hot shutdowns.  Not a single afterfire.   \./8  However, temps were 60 out and my oil didn't get above 185 or so, which is typical when I run it in cold weather.  Anyway, the afterfire only happens when its hot out, so I'll need to test more and if its not fixed, I'll take the spring off.

I finished the SS bracket.  I got 1/2" round stock to recreate and weld on the arms, but decided to use the old rubber mounts instead.  I also opted to use the old one as a template to make the new one close to the old one's style.  It would have been easier to just weld up some stock to make a bracket with bolt holes in the right places, but I'm happy with how it came out.  I don't have a mill, so I plasma cut the rough shape and then sanded, filed and grind metal for a couple hours!  Chatter is bad with thick steel on a drill press, so its not perfect, but it'll work!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 06:35:44 PM »
The grommets were there to allow for movement since everything was slip fit. Now that the header and muffler are welded, there should not be any movement allowed or you will eventually end up with the muffler or header cracking. Solid mount is needed for solid exhaust. ;)

It looks great though, excellent work!  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com