$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Satellite Imagery on your GPS

Author Topic: Satellite Imagery on your GPS  (Read 1036 times)

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 43
Satellite Imagery on your GPS
« on: September 15, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »
Anybody out there using this? It would be cool to know what's up over the bank while cruising down the river. I emailed and called that guy but never heard back.

https://youtu.be/w65H9TTLZzk
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:55:04 PM by The Man »

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: GC190
  • Model Year: 2006
Re: Satellite Imagery on your GPS
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 09:00:49 PM »
Your link is not the true Youtube.
Is this a good link? This could be a time bomb from a hacker..

Tom please delete..

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 09:59:44 PM »
It's a business. It's legit. They just don't answer any requests.

https://ruggedroutes.com/index.php?route=common/home

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 47
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 10:47:22 PM »
Anybody out there using this? It would be cool to know what's up over the bank while cruising down the river. I emailed and called that guy but never heard back.

https://youtu.be/w65H9TTLZzk

I don't have a fish finder...yet, but the App on my iPhone is called GPS Tracks. The App can switch between street, satellite or hybrid map view while on the water. These first two pics are from my latest video on the Mahoning river, the 3rd is of the local college up the street. The Pro version can use other maps including NOAA nautical charts, USGS satellite TOPO maps and many more. Think I paid $4 for my current version. I'll need a college course on how to use it. Lol
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:58:30 PM by CC-Coder »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 11:11:59 PM »
I don't have a fish finder...yet, but the App on my iPhone is called GPS Tracks. The App can switch between street, satellite or hybrid map view while on the water. These first two pics are from my latest video on the Mahoning river, the 3rd is of the local college up the street. The Pro version can use other maps including NOAA nautical charts, USGS satellite TOPO maps and many more. Think I paid $4 for my current version. I'll need a college course on how to use it. Lol

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 12:58:18 AM »
Your link is not the true Youtube.
Is this a good link? This could be a time bomb from a hacker..

Tom please delete..

That is a YouTube link from a mobile device, nothing unusual about it and nothing to worry about.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 12:59:19 AM »
I use the GeoTracker app on my phone, works great. 
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: GC190
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 07:00:34 AM »
That is a YouTube link from a mobile device, nothing unusual about it and nothing to worry about.

Ok. Im just paranoid whenever i see unusual link... :) I felt like its going to hack my bank account with negative balance.  >:(

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 05:41:37 PM »
Forgot to mention, when I don't have cell phone service the App will still track and I can drop waypoints too. Just won't see any imagery until I get service.
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »
My Garmin GPSMAP 64 allows me to load birdseye satellite imagery onto it's memory card for specific locations.  I can preload an area before going there.  After the first year, it's a subscription service and requires a fee... Mine expired a while ago and I don't want to pay for it. The new GPSMAP 66 that has just released does it for free with no subscription.  Even a small section of satellite imagery takes a lot of space on the memory card and after doing it a few times on my 64, the novelty wore off for me.  I use high res topo maps instead and have the whole east coast loaded.
 The GPSMAP 64 is my 3rd Garmin GPSMAP over the last 10 years... I use them a lot for a lot of activities.  One of mine is at the bottom of a remote lake in northern Maine... It went overboard.  Another is on top of a mountain in New England... Stepped on a hornet's nest in thick brush and couldn't find it after the swarm settled down.  They're super durable machines and when I'm not losing them, I'm beating them up during outdoor adventures!  I'm contemplating getting the new 66s and if I do, I'll probably drop a huge card in it and make better use of the birdseye feature.

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 18
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 03:03:02 PM »
I always use AlpineQuest when exploring new areas. It does all the usual stuff with tracks, navigation, etc. and it allows getting regular maps or satellite imagery of your choice (resolution and source). Either online or download and use offline. Google satellite/roads/bike, Bing aerial/hybrid, Openstreet, USGS, OVI, lots more I've never tried. No subscription required. I use paid version but I think there may be a lite one free as well.

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »
My Garmin GPSMAP 64 allows me to load birdseye satellite imagery onto it's memory card for specific locations.  I can preload an area before going there.  After the first year, it's a subscription service and requires a fee...

There is actually a way to preload any map you like including satellite to various Garmins, e.g. your GPSMAP 64 without paying subscription fees. For example, see https://www.maptiler.com/how-to/garmin/  Personally, I used to do that manually for Garmin Oregon, making kmz files from google earth before I switched to smartphone-based app, which is soooo much more versatile.

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 10
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 04:32:26 PM »
Thanks for that info... I actually use maptiler, but not for satellite imagery.  I'll check that out.  I use it to overlay 150+ year old maps using the georef points and put them on my Garmin.  Then I can walk on the old map in real-time.  I load the overlay into Google Earth, add place marks and other waypoints and then export as kml, convert to gdb and drop into the Garmin.

I know there's some good smartphone apps, but most of my hiking and mokaing is specifically for metal detecting on land and in water.  My smartphone wouldn't last a trip doing that to it.  The GPSMAP gets rained on, splashed, dropped and it doesn't care if a smash buttons on it with muddy gloves on.  It's kinda a specific situation, I just need something that can endure an abusive environment.

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »
I know there's some good smartphone apps, but most of my hiking and mokaing is specifically for metal detecting on land and in water.  My smartphone wouldn't last a trip doing that to it. 

Mine would :) It is rated to survive 1+ m drop on concrete. It does not only can handle being underwater, but it still plays music while submersed. And it has built-in thermal vision module by Flir.  Fun gadget called Cat S60.

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 09:58:30 PM »
Syntax77 did a nice Youtube tutorial on how to use a dedicated gps or phone app for anyone interested. Though it's for hiking, it can be used in conjunction with the Mokai or those that boat-in to a campsite and hike. You can open the Blog thru his Youtube description for all the software links and pertinent information.

Blog - http://www.sintax77.com/how-to-use-a-gps-for-hiking-dedicated-device-or-phone-app/

Youtube Tutorial
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY92sTCUXFg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY92sTCUXFg</a>
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 10:08:39 PM by CC-Coder »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️