$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; New EX21 on ebay

Author Topic: New EX21 on ebay  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: New EX21 on ebay
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 04:00:44 PM »
It has to have a 3/4" crank, 2.3" long with 5/16-24 threads. EX21DST030 or 031 or 032 would be the parts numbers typically seen.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: GC190
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 12:30:50 PM »
Tom,
is there a topic here showing whats included in the conversion (1200.00)
I asked bec im not sure if small improvements like changing the charging coil is included and steering relocation etc

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 01:00:57 PM »
Maybe by the time i decide to go to your shop for conversion, no more Subaru engine available?  >:(
Still waiting for someone to buy my boat thats why im slow at making decision. That's my fund for conversion and new one...
Well if Subaru is running out of stock because of high demand then i dont see them stopping the production..So noce if you are also researching for a better alternative..

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »
Subaru quit the small engine business, that's why there aren't any left.. There won't be any more period. Email me for a quote, that quote was for the ES conversion with pump work and clutch.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 01:30:43 PM »
It has to have a 3/4" crank, 2.3" long with 5/16-24 threads. EX21DST030 or 031 or 032 would be the parts numbers typically seen.

Tom, Do you think this is the route you'll go when the EX21 supply dries up?  https://www.carrollstream.com/Kohler-7HP-Gas-Engine-With-Electric-Start-CH270-p/ch270-3021.htm Shaft and thread's are the same, dunno about the keyway... or shaft offset from the base... you probably know if its generally a standard height from the base of the block to the center of the crankshaft on these small engines.  I'm only curious...it'd be a pain to fabricate all the brackets, linkage and exhaust to re-power a Mokai with a new engine line.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 02:41:43 PM »
All of these small engine brands use the same footprints, variations in crank style, but the mounting and crank positions are the same in this HP range. That is the engine I am planning on using though, haven't gotten one yet but it should be a satisfactory replacement for the Subaru. Time will tell. Yes, it will be a pain to come up with a whole new process.. Not looking forward to that, but it has to be done.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »
All of these small engine brands use the same footprints, variations in crank style, but the mounting and crank positions are the same in this HP range. That is the engine I am planning on using though, haven't gotten one yet but it should be a satisfactory replacement for the Subaru. Time will tell. Yes, it will be a pain to come up with a whole new process.. Not looking forward to that, but it has to be done.

Interesting!  I didn't know the footprint, mounting and crank position would be the same.... makes sense for all those small engine manufacturers to use a standard so at least their engines are mountable when people re-power a piece of equipment.  I can't wait to hear how the Kohler works out when you get your hands on one.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 01:48:07 PM »
I have 9 more EX21 engines coming, so no need to reinvent the wheel just yet. Conversions will continue with the Subaru!! God works in mysterious ways, and I believe that  100%!!  :)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »
In the 2018 model, they will use the 9.4 HP kholer. Can this also be installed in the old MOKAI?
There maybe something available to under power the motor if its too much for the current impeller size. Nice to see this motor installed in the old MOKAI. Motor might run cooler since we dont have to run it at full throttle. Excellent if 9.4 can make the old mokai faster.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 10:50:46 AM »
Nope, Nope, Nope, and Nope. LOL Well, yes, they moved to the Kohler 9.5 motor. But that is LAST motor you would want to put in ANY Mokai. Let me explain.....

It doesn't have any more RPM than the 7hp motor, all these industrial engines are rated at 3600 rpm. We run them around 4000 rpm in the Mokai. The extra power of the BIGGER engine would only spin the pump TO that 4000 rpm faster, the boat would actually go slower because you added 30 lbs of engine you couldn't use. 35% more power doesn't mean 35% faster, it just sounds good as a selling point.

It's got more power, so it's going to generate more heat. The Subaru struggled to stay alive in the ES-kape as it was, the plenum intake and exit area was anemic for the needs of the engine and I don't expect they did much different with the new motor. It will run hot.

The 9.5 Kohler has the next size footprint, so the mounting base is larger and not compatible with any of the earlier boats. Crank centerline is higher too, and with the crank being 1" instead of 3/4" you couldn't use your coupler or my clutch.

The 9.5 Kohler is going to be a huge waste of time and space and $$$ in my  opinion and experience. Not sure what Mokai was thinking when they chose that (actually I think I have a clue) but I don't think it's doing anyone any favors.  :D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 10:55:03 AM »
The better question is probably is there a point to put the 9.4 engine in the; pd Mokai!  I don't think there is.  A 7.5hp engine spinning at 4,100rpms, will pump as much water as a 9.4hp engine spinning at 4,100rpms.  The current Mokai is not underpowered with a 7hp engine and spins the pump up to the engines maximum rpm level.  If the 7hp engine was not powerful enough to get the pump up to the engines maximum rpm, then the pump would be too big for the engine and a more powerful engine would do good.

We've speculated why they increased the engine size to 9.4hp and it's either 1) there's a bigger pump, 2) there's a transmission that increases the output rpm, or 3) no reason at all and it'll weigh more, burn more fuel and go slower!  I think it'll he 1 or 2, but I suppose it could be 3!!

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 10:56:08 AM »
Lol... What Tom said!  He touched on more points too!!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »
Well since there is no commercially available transmission that will bolt on to that motor and provide an increased ratio, I'd say that is off the table. And as a result the wet clutch that would have come with it won't be used either. That leaves Mokai to manufacture their own transmission, which I don't see happening, and puts them back to direct drive off the crank with an electric PTO to offer neutral. That's where I'd bet my $$ if I had to. They also have given out a 10 warranty on pumps, so they have to either stay with the current design to stay backwards compatible, or manufacture and stock parts for two different pumps. I can't picture them doing that either. Possibly a different pitch impeller, I could see that being a possibility. Wonder how long it will be till they start shipping, haven't hear a peep from anyone yet.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »
Good points.  Hopefully they KISS and just changed the impeller pitch and kept the same pump housing.  Then when you get your hands on one you can see what that pump will do in the old boats. Haha.

Their non-transferable warranty is designed not to warranty their products.  I'd care about a 10 year warranty if they stood by their product and didn't cancel the warranty when the original owner sells it.  How many people buy new from the Mokai factory and keep it for 10 years... I doubt many.  I bought mine from an original owner after 2 years and he sold it because his boat was more family friendly!

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »
I still believe there will be a dramatic change coming.
Its just bad we have to dream about it for another month.
Rick sounded so sure that we will be seeing a faster MOKAI. \./8 \./8 And that every measurement on this MOKAI will be increased.
 \./8