$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Subaru Choke Problem

Author Topic: Subaru Choke Problem  (Read 1486 times)

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 39
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
Re: Subaru Choke Problem
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 04:27:25 PM »
Chuck ..... I had the same problem on my Subaru, stalling at idle. I know this sounds strange but I removed my fuel filter. Tom and I talked about this and the fuel filter should not have caused this. I put the filter back on and it stalled. Took the filter back off, no stalling.
Go figure, it must be because I live in Maryland !!!

Funny you mention the fuel filter, I was looking at the differences in mine and my wife's and noticed I forgot to put the fuel line clip or whatever it's called back on when I received my inter cooler back. her's is slanted ever so slightly upward compared to mine. I assumed this doesn't make a difference because of vacuum pressure to get the gas thru the line? Could it be that when I come off plane, the gas swooshes away from the carb (inside the filter), thus sucks air for a split second? I'm going to try raising it next time out along with disconnecting the choke cable as Tom mention earlier. (One at a time). I'm probably reaching a bit but doesn't hurt to try.
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
Has nothing to do with anything. The zip tie was used on a previous fuel filter brand that didn't have as much length on the barbed ends, more support was just insurance. The filters I currently use have twice the length and don't need it. Fuel can't come out of the bowl once it's been pumped in except through the main jet. Fuel filter literally has nothing to do with any idle, running, stalling, tuning issues.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 04:44:16 PM »
Has nothing to do with anything. The zip tie was used on a previous fuel filter brand that didn't have as much length on the barbed ends, more support was just insurance. The filters I currently use have twice the length and don't need it. Fuel can't come out of the bowl once it's been pumped in except through the main jet. Fuel filter literally has nothing to do with any idle, running, stalling, tuning issues.

Figured as much. Plus it had similar issues with the old filter and before the inter cooler. Oh well.  :P
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 05:42:42 PM »
I think it's an altitude thing, personally. I've had that motor here when I rebuilt that boat, and then again when I did the intercooler/muffler work. Ran perfect every time and I couldn't make it stall no matter what I did. For you to have problems each time you take it out up there tells me it's likely a mixture issue. Every motor is a little different so the other one just isn't as sensitive to the change. I'll send you a couple jets to try. Easy to change and I'll make a video walking your through it. Only takes a few minutes.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 05:52:35 PM »
Probably is the altitude issue but attempting the easy stuff is worth a try too. No doubt your right, as evidence of the test videos on the Altamaha, and walking me thru putting the inter cooler & carb back on. (easy to follow video) I'll await the jets and tutorial in the mean time. - thanks
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 11:31:07 AM »
Successful trip out yesterday but not with the carb/choke. Tried disconnecting the choke cable but same old. Since there wasnít any shoreline, couldnít try raising the fuel filter. Guess Iíll be happy when the jets arrive. 😁 Did catch my first catfish from the boat, on a lure too! 🙀🦈
A fun and challenging 1/4 mile ride from the lower Cuyahoga to the boat ramp. Wind picked up around 12 mph and Lake Erie had some 2-3 foot whitecaps. Since I took out the front floatation and had the anchor on, I was riding on top of each wave, which I think would have the grate out of the water until the boat dove into the next whitecap (Lost power), thought I was going to turn into a submarine. Hehe
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Larry

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 22
  • Engine: Honda GC190
  • Model Year: 2007/2007
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 02:52:34 PM »
Nice cat. Did you keep it ? I'm a catch and release guy. The only time I keep one is when we go out for Striped Bass on the Bay.

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 11:56:57 AM »
Nice cat. Did you keep it ? I'm a catch and release guy. The only time I keep one is when we go out for Striped Bass on the Bay.

I was thinking of keeping it but noticed about a dozen carp floating in a 3 mile stretch. The catfish was around 19 inches. I was just thrilled to finally catch something from the Mokai. Lol
I usually catch and release too. Catfish are tasty but I prefer walleye.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:59:11 AM by CC-Coder »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️