$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Subaru Choke Problem

Author Topic: Subaru Choke Problem  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Subaru Choke Problem
« on: June 18, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »
Had to step out the rest of today, Iíll look at it tomorrow. Before I went out the second time this past weekend, I manually pushed the lever in and the connection to the engine. This seemed to help tremendously compared to the first time out and not touching the choke at all.
Me putting the water cooler and carb back together may be why it ran great for you in the test run on the Altamaha and not so great for me? I hope itís an easy fix. For me and my skills, itís like finding the needle in the haystack. Lol

Without seeing in person it's hard to say what's really going on there. With the choke cable completely extended, is there any more travel at the choke lever on the carburetor left? Check by pushing the cable all the way in, then disconnect the ball end without moving anything. Then see if the choke lever you just took the ball end off of will move forward and actually move the choke lever on the carb. If you have more movement then the cable isn't coming out far enough and you would need to straighten that bend and/or adjust the ball end out further. It would make sense though that it is your problem. Hope it is, simple fix.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
Re: Subaru Choke Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 10:05:11 PM »
Cool Video Tom.
I will go to my garage, look at the governor and playback the video.

Thanks, hope it helps.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 39
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 11:05:12 PM »
Without seeing in person it's hard to say what's really going on there. With the choke cable completely extended, is there any more travel at the choke lever on the carburetor left? Check by pushing the cable all the way in, then disconnect the ball end without moving anything. Then see if the choke lever you just took the ball end off of will move forward and actually move the choke lever on the carb. If you have more movement then the cable isn't coming out far enough and you would need to straighten that bend and/or adjust the ball end out further. It would make sense though that it is your problem. Hope it is, simple fix.
I'll definitely look at everything you said in the morning. Can you buy a summer home up here, then move back to Ga for the winter. Need you closer for crack repair and carb issues.  I can take you out on some "cool" rivers that have lots of catfish, not that I can catch them but, I know you would.  Lol
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 02:17:14 PM »

Based on the pictures and your instructions, I can probably try to adjust the cable to see if the stalling issue disappears. With that quarter inch or so, that is the distance I can move the cable after disconnecting the ball end. (makes sense)

"The choke has a detent in the on and off positions, you should feel that when you move the lever by hand and the cable disconnected." --- Without taking off the intercooler to see better, I do think its hitting the on/off positions when I move the lever.

Cheri seems to have a little less space between her handle and mount stop than I do, which is probably the difference of my bend in the cable? I feel if I can bend it back and adjust the nut at the end of the cable, just a turn or two, my stalling issue may be solved.

She had some issues last year but those might be the cause of not pushing the the handle back in all the way after using the choke. Her Mokai has been running great the last few times out. Mine also runs great accepted for the choke issues. Went 10 miles the other day at full throttle without an issue until going back to idle...stalled again!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:24:41 PM by CC-Coder »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
I don't think your choke is a problem. At least not from what you've shown in pictures. If you want to eliminate it as a problem, disconnect the ball end from the lever, push that lever forward so the choke is off, pull the choke cable to full so it's not flopping around, and go test it on the water. The choke can't turn itself on.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 03:13:55 PM »
I don't think your choke is a problem. At least not from what you've shown in pictures. If you want to eliminate it as a problem, disconnect the ball end from the lever, push that lever forward so the choke is off, pull the choke cable to full so it's not flopping around, and go test it on the water. The choke can't turn itself on.

I'm sticking with the choke as the issue.  ::) Not a big difference according to the pictures but since I pushed the lever as far forward and helped it at the ball connection too, I didn't have the problem like the previous time out. The previous time, the engine would backfire and sputter. Kind of scary when I'm 5 miles from camp.  :-[
Next trip, I'll give what you say a try and let you know how it turns out. It's becoming less of an issue as I gained a lot of confidence on the water by doing my first 10 miler at full throttle without a problem. Even though it stalled at idle after, it always starts back up. - Thanks
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:19:22 PM by CC-Coder »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 03:43:31 PM »
Yeah, without seeing it in person I can't be sure about it. There is some slop in the choke linkage to the carb, so that's why position doesn't mean too much to me. The actual position of the choke lever on the carb is what counts. Can you move that more after the cable is unhooked?
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 03:48:58 PM »
Would I have to remove the engine and inter cooler to check?
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 04:23:23 PM »
No, just take the cable loose and move the lever, watch the linkage to the carb and see what the choke lever is doing. You will be able to see it and move it with your finger if you wanted.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKDnkZBXzgU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKDnkZBXzgU</a>
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 06:50:02 PM »

Thanks Tom.
I do feel and see the POP! So maybe it isnít choke related but a coincidence that I didnít have a problem on the second run. Iíll try the disconnect method next time out.
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Larry

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 22
  • Engine: Honda GC190
  • Model Year: 2007/2007
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 12:25:02 PM »
Chuck ..... I had the same problem on my Subaru, stalling at idle. I know this sounds strange but I removed my fuel filter. Tom and I talked about this and the fuel filter should not have caused this. I put the filter back on and it stalled. Took the filter back off, no stalling.
Go figure, it must be because I live in Maryland !!!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 01:22:48 PM »
Fuel filter has nothing to do with it, merely coincidence. If anything the problem is with fuel pressure and the carb needle and seat not able to shut it off consistently and the float level is too high and it floods. If it isn't that, then it could be the jetting is too lean as that will cause that too.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Larry

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 22
  • Engine: Honda GC190
  • Model Year: 2007/2007
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 02:47:11 PM »

It must be the Hereford Zone here in Northern Baltimore County. Stranger things have happened here. LOL

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 02:53:37 PM »
Yup, MD is a strange state. I like being from there, but honestly can't say I've every missed living there. lol At least you don't live in Ellicott City....  :D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com