$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; honda idle tuning

Author Topic: honda idle tuning  (Read 2561 times)

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: GC190
  • Model Year: 2006
honda idle tuning
« on: June 16, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »
I ran my motor with the jet pump installed and getting this sound which i think can be improved.

Can anyone please comment why im not getting a consistent RPM. Is it starving fuel, too much fuel. pulled out the spark plug and its dry.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eitz543ivpbhay4/IMG_2866.MOV?dl=0

It should produce the same consistent sound as this one...
http://www.improvingyourmokai.com/index.php/topic,1713.0.html

I also need to buy a carburator . can someone please share a link.. if i go Jack online it does ask a lot of info...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:40:57 PM by mokamo »

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
Re: honda idle tuning
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 05:46:20 PM »
Are all Honda idles like mine?
Can you please share a short video of how your engine idles. The hiccups or big increase / decrease in RPM can be interpreted as more stress in the engine mount thats why i think this is a major item i need to address.

Offline rdper1

• Cool Points: 2
  • Engine: Honda GC190
  • Model Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 07:03:24 PM »
Sounds exactly like mine mate.I think its still the original engine so might be getting pretty worn.Can"t get them new in NZ so trying to find an o/seas source willing to ship to NZ.

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 07:38:33 PM »
Good to know. Thanks mate. yea its 12 years old so i think buying used includes buying new motor as well. >:(
 Yea i opened the carb even though i dont know what to look for.  >:D
and did not see anything that can get clogged. Now i know this carb is simple has nothing much to tweak inside.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3p8vvw0vigmit3q/IMG_2889.JPG?dl=0

I will look for a new motor. Does anyone have seen a good source? I hope a new one will sound better. Still hoping someone with newer honda will share some video of their motor running.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 07:41:25 PM »
You can't compare the Subaru to the Honda, apples to oranges. But what you are hearing in your idle is the governor being in control, this is due to the cable being adjusted too tight or the spring a little too short. You may be able to lessen that "hunting" effect, but all the Honda's were prone to that. The Honda doesn't idle well below 1900-2000 rpm anyhow, that is why those motors get the 2100 rpm spring in the Clutch. Your motor sounds fine, and I'm sure there is nothing wrong with it. Run it and go have fun.  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 08:36:24 PM »
ok thanks tom.
not easy to reinstall the carb...but finally made it to finish line.  :)

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 04:42:57 AM »
Hey RDPER,
Let me know if you need help. you can buy online and have it ship in my location and the same unopened box can be shipped to you but you need to tell me how to ship international.

Or contact this one. https://www.myus.com/us/

email me at Napwhat@gmail.com if you need help mate... ;)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:47:15 AM by mokamo »

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:33:43 AM »
Too many governor explanation youtube. I need to start watching so i can take advantage all the things Tom is sharing in all the topics here..I need to start learning the right trrminologies too...

Thank you Tom for patiently guiding us learn about theses engines...

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:46:19 AM by mokamo »

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 08:53:32 AM »
Sounds like a partially obstructed idle circuit (jet) to me.  I dunno if there is a specific pilot jet on that carb for idling, but it could be something in the idle circuit causing it.  They're though to clean because all the passages are so small, so carb cleaner and compressed air is needed.  It's a pretty common idle condition, but a meticulous carburetor cleaning always fixes it for me.  Good luck!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 09:28:20 AM »
Sounds like a partially obstructed idle circuit (jet) to me.  I dunno if there is a specific pilot jet on that carb for idling, but it could be something in the idle circuit causing it.  They're though to clean because all the passages are so small, so carb cleaner and compressed air is needed.  It's a pretty common idle condition, but a meticulous carburetor cleaning always fixes it for me.  Good luck!

I explained earlier that the surging is just the governor and that is common on the Honda motors due to the linkage not being adjusted correctly. It's not dirt or jetting, it's weights and springs.  ;)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 07:51:30 AM »
It looks like the carb cleaning helps plus some tweaking on the idle set flatscrew, adjustment idle screw and linkage but more can be improved... :). Lucky those who lives in georgia...Few min drives to Tom and back to happy life  :) 

Told my friend who knows more about lawnmower engine to come over and help me thoroughly clean the carb with the right carb cleaner and also replace the gaskets. I already ordered one from ebay...I think i only cleaned the jet and he said there some more i need to do..

Heres how it runs but i think the RPM is between 1800 and 1900.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1n5zdytccf8vcm6/IMG_2899.MOV?dl=0

And also looking at northern tools GC190. They carry 2 models. How many models are there? and which one is the best.

1. $234.00
Honda Engines GC Series Horizontal OHC Engine (187cc, 3/4 Inch x 1 13/16 Inch Shaft, Model: GC190LAMHA2-BLK)

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16665540447933586408?q=northern+tools+gc190&client=safari&sa=X&channel=iphone_bm&biw=375&bih=553&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&prmd=smvin&prds=num:1,epd:15925789182122815198,paur:ClkAsKraXxi2NRLQI9lX5hjkzk_0AxaSOz5Pxq0V-XTbz4bcEL1Guz4Mgmbmc3T1fGDbA3-_FAjDvDy7Bjcoo-fEUAUuSqe5PhAuA6PZgzljsWQWTPKs5DYVUxIZAFPVH70teuZpBN_CSvCJVrKCC5XVeexO7Q,cs:1&ved=0ahUKEwiAmM_Mkd3bAhUDTawKHX-kBcUQgjYI9QQ

2. $269.00
Honda Engines Horizontal OHC Engine (187cc, GC Series, 3/4 Inch x 2 7/16 Inch Shaft, Model: GC190LAQHGF-BLK)

https://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200327077_200327077?adv=false&cm_mmc=Google-pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwND_mJHd2wIVjLXACh0NAwVeEAQYBCABEgI9OPD_BwE&utm_campaign=Honda%20Engines&utm_content=60694&utm_medium=Engines%20%26gt%3B%20Honda%20Horizontal%20Engines%20%26gt%3B%20121Cc%20-%20240Cc%20Honda%20Horizontal%20Engines&utm_source=Google_PLA

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 07:57:55 AM »
Yours sounds fine, that's how the Honda idles and I don't see any reason to throw more $$ at it. Nothing to improve on there, run it.  ;) lol

The difference between those two models for sale is the crank length, the 2nd option is the correct one with the 2 7/16" length.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 08:20:58 AM »
I explained earlier that the surging is just the governor and that is common on the Honda motors due to the linkage not being adjusted correctly. It's not dirt or jetting, it's weights and springs.  ;)

Interesting... is that Honda governor not adjusted right from the factory then?  When I've had that idle pulse issue it was caused by a fuel starvation issue in the idle circuit, causing rpm's to drop, then the governor opens the throttle to keep it from dying, switching it off the idle circuit and getting a splash of fuel from the main jet, RPMs increase, then becoming fuel starved and repeating.  I've fixed it in various pieces of lawn equipment, but not a GC190.... So it sounds like either the governor looses its factory adjustment in that engine, or it was never adjusted right from the start.  Good to know.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 09:11:26 AM »
Or the idle was set too low for the governor to keep tension on the linkage and the spring on the carb was able to overcome and open the throttle until the rpms increase enough for the governor to take over again closing the throttle. This is where the up and down comes from. When the engine isn't running, the throttle goes wide open, the governor is what acts as a "return spring" and when there isn't enough rpm the governor can't perform that task and the "opening spring" takes over to open the throttle. You are seeing the effects of that and thinking it's a problem inside the carburetor with fuel delivery. If you want a stable idle, add another spring that pulls the governor arm to idle so you have a constant return function regardless of rpm, and take the small spring loose that is on the carburetor itself. Then idle is a fixed, but you might have to give a little throttle during starting after that.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 09:42:59 AM »
Nice reading.

Tom or OutdoorAdv,

Do you guys have any simple steps to properly adjust the idle circuit and linkage plus some spring mods to have a stable idle? I will be cleaning the carb again once I receive the new gaskets...